Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Daycare - When to Notify
Unregistered 07:29 PM 06-30-2015
After much consideration, I have decided to close my daycare. I have only been in business since the beginning of the year and have determined I cannot see myself making this a career in the long run. Between the long hours, inability to leave the house and not making much after bills have been paid, I just can't do it.

Now I need to decide how to notify the parents... I know it's going to be a surprise to them and I'm not looking forward to it. I have decided to give three weeks notice even though my policies state I only need to give two. Mom drops off in the mornings and Dad picks up in the evenings. Do I give Dad notice this Thursday (before a long weekend) or Mom notice on Monday morning? Any words of encouragement?
Baby Beluga 10:10 PM 06-30-2015
Do the parents live together or are they separated?

If they live together and DCM/DCD just split pick up and drop off duty, I would just give it to the parent who you see first and then ask the other parent the next time you see them if they received and read your letter. Something along the lines of "Good morning DCM! Just wanted to ensure that you had a chance to read the letter I send home with DCD on Thursday. Are there any questions I may answer for you?"

If the parents are separated and then I would give the letter to the parent who picks up and then email the parent who did not pick up. That way they both know at the same time.
Unregistered 05:17 AM 07-01-2015
Parents are together just pickup/drop off based on their work schedules. I'm just not sure which one to give notice to - I generally talk to mom more, but because she drops on her way to work, it doesn't give us a ton of time to talk. Dad picks up at the end of the day and tries to make it a quick pickup knowing we've all had a long day. So do I spoil a long holiday weekend or a Monday morning?
Shell 05:22 AM 07-01-2015
I'm also closing in a few weeks, and I plan on talking to all of the dcm's about it, along with handing them a letter that says my last day is (x).

I personally would wait until Monday- that gives them the week to start looking, rather than panicking over the holiday weekend.

Best of luck to you- I've been at this about 5 years and not being able to get out of the house and the long hours have been hard, too. Hopefully, our parents take the news well (fingers crossed).
AliB 06:38 AM 07-01-2015
I too am closing this summer. I decided in the summer of 2013 to go back to school and pursue my degree. After a long time of doing childcare I have decided this is not something I want to do until retirement. I told all of my parents at that time that I would be going back to school and that it would take me just over two years to get my degree. I graduate this coming December and have decided to pursue a job in my career field while I finish up my last semester of school. Too many families taking advantage of me and because I am so burnt out I just don't have the "strength" to argue about policies. Although I have been completely open about my schooling no one has seemed to "figure out" that I will be graduating very soon. They all make comments about next summers vacations and how some of the dck will be starting preschool in the fall but no one has mentioned the end of our time together coming soon. I have struggled with maintaining an honest relationship but I don't want to lead on that I'm closing until I find a new job. I agree with 3 weeks notice as well, but also feel that as soon as they find a replacement they will be gone. When I give my notice I will be sure to add a clause in there about finishing up their time here, where I will still be paid for the time I am available to watch their children.
AmyKidsCo 06:58 AM 07-01-2015
I would do it Thursday. That way if they're upset they'll have the weekend to get used to the idea before you face them again. Plus you're giving them extra days to look, and they may be able to ask around at holiday gatherings over the weekend.
Reply Up