Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Director or Administrator
JeepGirl6 03:01 PM 11-22-2014
Are any of you an Administrator or Daycare Director at a center/facility?

I have been operating my home daycare for 6 years. I have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. I am 28 years old & have 15 month old son.

I love doing my daycare but I am looking ahead at the future at finding a job with security, stable income, insurance & retirement. I am considering going back for a 1 year Certificate at a college in my area. They have an Early Childhood Administrator Certificate program. I do not need this in my state to become a Director, my ECE Degree is enough but I think I want the extra education for the business aspect of it all.

Any advice/opinions? I may have questions also. Thanks in advance
mskaykay 11:21 AM 11-24-2014
I would say finish your degree. And get lots of experience with the business aspect and interpersonal relations. Learn how to handle a staff, how to properly hire and fire. I have found that so much of my day is general office work and not nearly as much of the childcare portion that I enjoy. You can never go wrong with too much education. You will find centers that don't care if you have your degree but you will never make as much money at those centers.
Reply Up