Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview You Know Won't Work
Unregistered 07:32 AM 04-27-2015
I'm just curious:
When an interview shows up and after just a few minutes you KNOW they aren't going to be the right fit for you; what do you do?
Do you just go through the motions of your normal interview. Meaning; give them the tour, answer questions, etc.
Or do you actually end the interview early?

It doesn't happen too often for me.
However, I recently had an interview where I pretty much immediately knew it was going to be a no-go for me (especially when I got attitude just for asking them to remove their shoes before the tour). I went through the motions, but didn't give the usual amount of charm, or elaborate much. But, I just felt like I wasted an hour of my time....you know!
AmyKidsCo 09:12 AM 04-27-2015
I continue the interview, then later let them know it's not a good fit.
PolkaTots 09:44 AM 04-27-2015
I've continued with the interview, and let them know afterwards I've filled the spot. I've had a few that I knew weren't going to work within a couple of minutes, and it ended up being a long drawn out interview...I wish I had a tactful and professional way to just end it and get them out of my house.
nanglgrl 11:04 AM 04-27-2015
I hate these kind of interviews! I wish I knew a quick way to get out of them because in my experiences they are always the people who stay the longest and act like their child is on a trip to chuck e cheese. Long after ive already cut the interview short and told them I had something to do these people just let their child continue to play. The last one I did my 6 year old daughter got the point better than the parent did and started picking up all of the toys and I was turning off the lights.
My daycare is in my basement so I can "close up shop" but for some reason some parents will not take the hint. Sometimes I think they know I'm not going to accept them in my daycare so they are doing it to have a little power play and be annoying which usually is the exact feeling I got from them during the interview which led to me deciding they wouldn't be a good fit lol.
daycarediva 11:23 AM 04-27-2015
"Would it be a problem for you to remove your shoes before entering? If so, I don't think this will be a good fit."

I just had an interview where the parent started rolling her eyes and saying "UGH" over my sick policy. I stopped speaking and said "Do you forsee a problem with my policy?" she went into a biiiigg thing about how all of 'our' policies seem to be the same and yet daycare is the reason kids are sick anyway so what's the big deal. I said "well, this isn't going to work then." I stood up, picked my paperwork up, held out my hand for her to shake, said "Thank you for stopping by and good luck looking for care", and ushered them out the door.

ain't nobody got time for that.
Nurse Jackie 11:44 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm just curious:
When an interview shows up and after just a few minutes you KNOW they aren't going to be the right fit for you; what do you do?
Do you just go through the motions of your normal interview. Meaning; give them the tour, answer questions, etc.

However, I recently had an interview where I pretty much immediately knew it was going to be a no-go for me (especially when I got attitude just for asking them to remove their shoes before the tour). I went through the motions, but didn't give the usual amount of charm, or elaborate much. But, I just felt like I wasted an hour of my time....you know!
this is a great question
Annalee 11:45 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
"Would it be a problem for you to remove your shoes before entering? If so, I don't think this will be a good fit."

I just had an interview where the parent started rolling her eyes and saying "UGH" over my sick policy. I stopped speaking and said "Do you forsee a problem with my policy?" she went into a biiiigg thing about how all of 'our' policies seem to be the same and yet daycare is the reason kids are sick anyway so what's the big deal. I said "well, this isn't going to work then." I stood up, picked my paperwork up, held out my hand for her to shake, said "Thank you for stopping by and good luck looking for care", and ushered them out the door.

I LOVE IT!
Kabob 11:56 AM 04-27-2015
It depends on the situation.

If it isn't painfully obvious from the start, I'll simply keep it short by saying that I have other interviews to conduct and I will get back to them by xyz date. I tell them that this gives them time to think about it and gives everyone a fair chance to interview with me so we can find the right fit. Then I wish them good luck and scoot them out the door.

If it is painfully obvious that it isn't going to work (ie, I had a family show up almost 30 minutes late with no call as instructed and with an attitude problem to boot), I tell them that I fill spots based on the families that will be the best fit to ensure everyone will be satisfied with the services I offer. I thank them for their time and scoot them out the door telling them I have other plans/interviews for the day.

I don't bother with more than 5 minutes for families that I know for sure won't work with my program. I've learned to just firmly interject with "Thanks for your time, I have other plans/interviews for this evening so unfortunately I have to cut this short. I will review my notes on today and get back to you on xyz date."
Crazy8 12:09 PM 04-27-2015
I wish I could be more blunt but usually I go on with the full interview, but with less enthusiasm than usual. I have had interviews where people tell me they can just tell I love what I do and am so passionate about it - the interviews I know won't work do not walk out with that impression I am sure!
Sunchimes 12:34 PM 04-27-2015
I've been extremely lucky to have only had one of these. It was early on when I had no handbook or contract and still thought it was parent's choice. I had a sinking feeling the whole time (she expected me to watch her 13 year old stepdaughter all summer as part of the deal!). As we were wrapping it up, hubby got behind her and was wildly waving his arms and shaking his head NO!!!! I told her that I had other interviews and would get back with her. It's sad because I wanted the little girl-she needed me. Mom spent the whole time yelling at her and criticizing every thing she did. She was a well behaved child, but so sad. That's w.hen I accepted that you can't save them all.
Gemma 05:27 PM 04-27-2015
I'm just curious:

If the issue I'm having is with the child, I'm willing to give it a try and see if I can turn things around, but if I'm not comfortable with the parents, then I know better than to even start!
It only happened to me twice and both times I was honest, I told the parents: " I can see things will not work out between us because....., I think you'll be much happier in another settings where your needs can be met".
Sugar Magnolia 05:40 PM 04-27-2015
I have a short version of my tour, and a long version. That said, some of my "short version" tours have resulted in wonderful parents. And some long versions weren't as golden as they seemed on the tour. I try to not make snap decisions about anyone, but some tours ARE a waste of time......it's the nature of the business.
Sugar Magnolia 05:42 PM 04-27-2015

Oh short version at its finest!
crazydaycarelady 07:58 AM 04-28-2015
One time I actually knew the second I opened the door that it was not going to work but I proceeded with the interview anyway. In a perfect world I would have just said "Yeah, this is no-go. Buh-bye!" but that's not really good for business.
Unregistered 09:19 AM 04-28-2015

I had a parent complain about the Y sending her child home with a fever... I said 'well my policy is the same....'
daycarediva 09:31 AM 04-28-2015
I had a parent complain about the Y sending her child home with a fever... I said 'well my policy is the same....'
I ask before interviewing if the child is currently in child care and if so, why they are leaving. I have had parents complain about the same policies I have, and I state that and say it won't be a good match before scheduling. I have had parents tell me it's cost, and I give them a quote before scheduling. Most of this I can weed out now before interviewing.
grateday 08:05 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I've continued with the interview, and let them know afterwards I've filled the spot. I've had a few that I knew weren't going to work within a couple of minutes, and it ended up being a long drawn out interview...I wish I had a tactful and professional way to just end it and get them out of my house.
sa

Its like a wave of irritation on both ends but both are going through the motions. I read peoples non verbal cues and expressions with a microscope even when I am not a part of a conversation.

Ever had a kid though that was with the parent. A kid that disrespected your belongings and looked at you like what are you gonna do and thy are old enough to know better. I don't know why the parents let them. I have had 2 interviews like that and if it happens again I will say do something about your kid or I don't think this relationship is gonna work.. I will say it because standing there staring is not gong to be a good working relationship. I bate those complainers that start in when you start the rules really they should just leave because it is just terrible. Illness rules Sanitation rules house rules are all necessary. If I hear another gripe I should say go find someone who will bend for everyone and see how long they stay open for everyone,.....
Reply Up