Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Which One Do I Take?
Pepperth 03:53 PM 07-08-2015
I have a question for you all. I've had one spot open forever! Two days ago I get a call for an interview. She came this morning and the interview went great. I'd love to have this client. She'd start in August, but then I wouldn't be able to care for the child until the middle of September until she enters the next age group of children. (Due to current clients coming back from the summer off.) I found out today that she has 3 other interviews today, so I'm not sure what direction she'll go. Then tonight, a friend of mine stopped by with his sister and her child. The child was given two week notice at his current daycare. (Very sweet child. It was behavior related and they were up front with me about that. It is not a behavior that would repeat here.) This child would be able to start whenever. What is the fair thing to do? I'd like to take the second child because I know the family and he could start right away, but I almost feel like I should give the first family first dibs.
childcaremom 03:56 PM 07-08-2015
Second child. Better fit for your group.

I would bet that the first family would choose somewhere that they had continuity of care.
Pepperth 05:04 PM 07-08-2015
I imagine I should call the first person back, but then what do I say? I'd feel like a jerk since I sounded so positive this morning that they'd make a great fit into my program. (I've been open for 6 months and unable to fill this spot, so I never imagined having an offer this afternoon to fill it.) I almost feel like I should call them and get a solid yes or no before proceeding with my friend's sister. Truly, the friend's sister would be more beneficial to me monetarily and I can't imagine that the other person would be ok with me not having room for 2 weeks in Sept. I just want to be fair and not take back a position I basically offered them.
Thriftylady 05:07 PM 07-08-2015
You have to do what is best for you and your business. You could email the first one and offer the slot, IF they want to pay to hold it. Otherwise, it goes to family number two.
Leigh 06:19 PM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I imagine I should call the first person back, but then what do I say? I'd feel like a jerk since I sounded so positive this morning that they'd make a great fit into my program. (I've been open for 6 months and unable to fill this spot, so I never imagined having an offer this afternoon to fill it.) I almost feel like I should call them and get a solid yes or no before proceeding with my friend's sister. Truly, the friend's sister would be more beneficial to me monetarily and I can't imagine that the other person would be ok with me not having room for 2 weeks in Sept. I just want to be fair and not take back a position I basically offered them.
You don't have to call them back. They didn't leave a deposit, so you owe them nothing. IF they call, tell them that the position has been filled.
mim 06:26 PM 07-08-2015
I agree with the pp. you owe nothing to them. They had other interviews and so did you. In my experience if they dont choose you; you will never hear from them again anyway. If they do call to take the spot just let them know the spot has been filled.
If you are shopping and see a pair of shoes you love and it's the last pair in your size but you want to run to another store to see if they have cuter shoes before you buy. You either buy them while your there or you run the risk of the next person buying them. Kwim?
daycare 06:56 PM 07-08-2015
I Think when we all started we made that mistake of taking anyone who came to check out the program. Or let our emotions get in the way.

then as time goes on we start to learn to become selective and choose only those families that are a over all good fit for our program and business.

#1 rule of being successful in this business is NEVER feel bad for having to do something that will benefit your business. In other words, don't let your emotions make your decisions or affect the decisions you need to make for your business successful.

I would go with family #2 and then if the other family calls back you tell them that unfortunately it is filled. I would require family #2 to put down a deposit for the spot.
TXhomedaycare 07:40 PM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I Think when we all started we made that mistake of taking anyone who came to check out the program. Or let our emotions get in the way.

then as time goes on we start to learn to become selective and choose only those families that are a over all good fit for our program and business.

#1 rule of being successful in this business is NEVER feel bad for having to do something that will benefit your business. In other words, don't let your emotions make your decisions or affect the decisions you need to make for your business successful.

I would go with family #2 and then if the other family calls back you tell them that unfortunately it is filled. I would require family #2 to put down a deposit for the spot.
this
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 07-09-2015
I'd fill the spot with the friends sister's kid. Who knows what could happen between now and September.... you may have another opening at that time.

Also, I assume you have a trial period? I'd take the friends sister's child and see if they are a good fit or not.

What about the first family makes you feel they would be a better fit than the second family? Or were you just trying to give them first right of refusal since you interviewed with them first?

Either way, they are still interviewing others so obviously they haven't made up their mind yet either.
Pepperth 06:51 AM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd fill the spot with the friends sister's kid. Who knows what could happen between now and September.... you may have another opening at that time.

Also, I assume you have a trial period? I'd take the friends sister's child and see if they are a good fit or not.

What about the first family makes you feel they would be a better fit than the second family? Or were you just trying to give them first right of refusal since you interviewed with them first?

Either way, they are still interviewing others so obviously they haven't made up their mind yet either.
I really liked the first family and got a great vibe from them. I know the second family and really like the brother. I don't know the sister all that well. I think its more the right of refusal thing. I didn't actually offer them the spot but I made it sound like a very certain opening, and never mentioned interviewing other families. I'm not opposed to just offering the spot to my friend's sister, I just want to know what to say to the other gal should she call. I was considering calling person number 1 today and saying that I have somebody looking to fill the spot immediately just so they can either commit or know not to consider me. As a sidenote, when I was daycare shopping for my son, I had a bad experience where the night before my maternity leave was up, the provider texted me to say she no longer had a spot open. (I'm a bit sensitive to things that could be construed as going against my word due to that, even though it is a completely different situation.)

I'd like to add. I would prefer mot to call the first potential client as I know she is shopping around. I just want to make sure I am being fair, etc
Shell 06:53 AM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

mommyneedsadayoff 08:15 AM 07-09-2015
I really liked the first family and got a great vibe from them. I know the second family and really like the brother. I don't know the sister all that well. I think its more the right of refusal thing. I didn't actually offer them the spot but I made it sound like a very certain opening, and never mentioned interviewing other families. I'm not opposed to just offering the spot to my friend's sister, I just want to know what to say to the other gal should she call. I was considering calling person number 1 today and saying that I have somebody looking to fill the spot immediately just so they can either commit or know not to consider me. As a sidenote, when I was daycare shopping for my son, I had a bad experience where the night before my maternity leave was up, the provider texted me to say she no longer had a spot open. (I'm a bit sensitive to things that could be construed as going against my word due to that, even though it is a completely different situation.)

I'd like to add. I would prefer mot to call the first potential client as I know she is shopping around. I just want to make sure I am being fair, etc
Just as she went to do other interviews, you did as well. Until they put a deposit down, the spot is open and you have every right o fill it with whoever will fit your daycare best. If they call, just say the spot has been filled, thank you for your interest, and if anything opens up in the future, I will keep your information and let you know!
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 07-09-2015

I see nothing wrong with contacting the first family and just saying something along the lines of, I have another interested party but wanted to give you first right of refusal before I went ahead and scheduled someone else.

That puts the ball in her court and looks good on your part.

Totally understand where you are coming from with being notified the night before about care... I've gotten a few clients due to that happening to them before.
Reply Up