Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>*^*#**!! What the Heck
booroo 06:19 AM 05-03-2010
Ok so my one dkb whose mom never keeps me in the loop, tells me a month ago that her son with go to dad for 2 months thus summer, starting this Monday!!! So my other family leaves in couple if weeks, so this leaves me empty for 2 months. So I took a summer camp activity director, for 3 days a week , then we made all kind of summer vacation plans.
Ok so dad comes on Friday and gets dkb, says nothing. We guess who shows up this moring, dkb!!! I was very surprised at this. I say to mom what is going on. Oh dad doesn't want to keep him for the 2 months, I was like well how come you didn't say anything; her reply "oh well I figured it was no bug deal it's not like you don't go anywhere or do anything"... Me "I have pmans from May 20 thru July 20th, during that time you will need a back up, I have made these plans back in Febuary when you told me that dad get 2 months start may 3 and thenyou were taking him to your mom for 2 weeks!!

Ugh Im so pissed!! She really has no respect for me or my family time!!
I'm so mad I better not have to cancel all of our summer plans or she will pay dearly... I all ready cut her a break on daycare because she us a single mom, but I'm truely thinking of doing a pay increase!!!

Just needed to vent!!!
mamajennleigh 06:25 AM 05-03-2010
Completely unacceptable. You said:

"I'm so mad I better not have to cancel all of our summer plans or she will pay dearly"

How, exactly, is she going to make you cancel any of your plans? I can't see how you owe her anything, or how she is going to ruin your summer unless you let her. She never updated you on needing your services and you've already made plans. Sounds to me like she needs another provider, and I wouldn't budge on that, not one iota. People who don't plan ahead try to inflict their self-imposed emergencies on everyone else. Don't fall for it.
booroo 06:35 AM 05-03-2010
I have been truely on the breaking point with this mom!! She never let me know if he's not coming, or she will say he won't be here and then show up!

I'm very soft hearted and care to much, im sure when she tells ne that she can't find a person to watch her son, I will cancel our vacations, all if the doctor appointment and surgeries, just so that she will have daycare for when she needs it!!
TGT09 06:56 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by mamajennleigh:
Completely unacceptable. You said:

"I'm so mad I better not have to cancel all of our summer plans or she will pay dearly"

How, exactly, is she going to make you cancel any of your plans? I can't see how you owe her anything, or how she is going to ruin your summer unless you let her. She never updated you on needing your services and you've already made plans. Sounds to me like she needs another provider, and I wouldn't budge on that, not one iota. People who don't plan ahead try to inflict their self-imposed emergencies on everyone else. Don't fall for it.
I agree completely! Do NOT change your summer plans...it sounds like she is totally taking advantage of you!
MarinaVanessa 07:08 AM 05-03-2010
I'm like that too but when it comes to situations like this I can't blame anybody but myself. I had an issue with a dcm last week that was pissy with me because she was running late and I made her take the time to sign her dcb in. She felt bad, got me a gift for the daycare and apologized. Asked me if I would take care of dcb on Saturday from 8-6pm, I said yes (need the xtra dough). Waited around saturday until noon, no show. I left. Got back at 5pm and theres a message on my machine. "Sorry I couldn't make it, I may need you tomorrow though. I'll call you back later to talk to you.". 8:30pm still no call. I called her because I didn't want her showing up Sunday because I had plans and she says "Oh, I decided to spend the day with him anyway. I forgot to call you." . She even asked if she could have the money for Saturday back. I finally put my foot down and said no. "I waited here for you and waisted my morning on my day off because I though you were coming and you didn't even call to say you weren't coming. If you don't call and cancel BEFORE the time that you want overtime then I still keep the payment" and told her where in the policy handbook AND contract she could find the terms.

Back to the point: If you don't put your foot down families will take advantage of you and you will be put in a spot you don't want to be put in. You will inconvenience your ENTIRE family and others that you have obligated yourself to for ONE family. If that is what you wish to do then do it. If you would rather cancel your trip and camp and you are OK with it, then do it. But it seems to me like you are not OK with it and that it bothers you. Don't be like me because if that's the case then you get stuck like me not really being able to complain because I ALWAYS have put myself in these situations and my hunny always points that out . Good luck to you and keep us posted. If you decide to keep them for the summer let us know if you raise her fee amd what she says in either case.

PS: I'm glad your son is back and doing better. I'm sure we were all worried.
Chickenhauler 10:33 AM 05-03-2010
Sounds like it's time to drive home the lesson the hard way.

You say they fail to communicate times, dates, plans, etc.

Pick a day they say they won't be coming.

Now, shut off your phone, lock the doors, and go do something fun about half an hour before their normal arrival time.

Come back home when you damn well good and feel like it, and turn your phone back on. Check the voicemails, the increasing panic in their voices with each successive call will be priceless.

Call them back and explain "You never stated you were going to bring the child, what do I look like, 7-11? In case nobody gave you the memo, I have a life outside of providing care for your child"

As for your summer plans, too bad for them. They screwed up and dropped the ball big time. This time, it just so happens it bounced back up and hit them square in the face. Their problem, not yours.
MrsCoffee 10:37 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Sounds like it's time to drive home the lesson the hard way.

You say they fail to communicate times, dates, plans, etc.

Pick a day they say they won't be coming.

Now, shut off your phone, lock the doors, and go do something fun about half an hour before their normal arrival time.

Come back home when you damn well good and feel like it, and turn your phone back on. Check the voicemails, the increasing panic in their voices with each successive call will be priceless.

Call them back and explain "You never stated you were going to bring the child, what do I look like, 7-11? In case nobody gave you the memo, I have a life outside of providing care for your child"

As for your summer plans, too bad for them. They screwed up and dropped the ball big time. This time, it just so happens it bounced back up and hit them square in the face. Their problem, not yours.
OMG!! My husband would say that!!
Chickenhauler 10:56 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:
OMG!! My husband would say that!!
I own a trucking company (the wife does daycare) and have learned the hard way that if you let people walk on you, they will continue to do so. The longer they do it, the harder it is to get back up off the floor.

I am RUTHLESS in my business practices, but am fair. I agree to do X for Y, and if you expect Z in addition to X, then you're going to pay Y to the Yth power.

They do it once in a while, but more often then not they figure it's cheaper to get some lowballing dirtbag to do their dirty work for them instead of paying my non-contractual rates.

Which is fine by me, there are only so many hours in a day, and my days are pretty full already. If I'm going to forego my personal or sleep time, I'm damn well going to be compensated.
mamajennleigh 11:03 AM 05-03-2010
LOL Chickenhauler. "Y to the Yth power" - I'm going to remember this to tell my teenagers.

The thing is, not ONE of your daycare moms would spend 10 extra minutes on their job if they weren't getting paid for it; why are we expected to do so for hours at a time?
booroo 11:29 AM 05-03-2010
Oh chickenhauler can I just say I love you!! My husband told me too do the same thing. Funny thing is back in march I had dr appointments, on a Saturday I do care for her on Saturdays from 8 to 6. I told her i needed dkb here on time that Saturday, well guess what I waited until 2 minutes until appointment time and then leave!! After that I decided she wasn't coming so the kids and I go to lunch and do some shopping a drive around the town, since we are new here!! 3 hours later I go home to several voucemails such as "where the blanket are, I need daycare" or " still not home, guess that means your not a very good provider".. I caled her when I got back home she would not answer any one of my calls. She comes on Monday and I told her, sorry about Saturday but I told you 2 weeks ago and reminded you all week not to be late as I had drs appointments for my kids, she totally acted like she did know what I was talking about, I was like well you never showed up saturday!! Then a big time lie came out if her voice "well I told you on Friday that we were going out if town!" oh really I must have missed that memo!!

Since I was new town and just starting my dk I took her!! Now I know why all the other daycares have let her go!! I so need to get the heart up to do this, since I now gave a family if 2!! It will replace this one and then with the 2 I'm able to do drop in care!!
Tags:parents
Reply Up