Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Ask A DCP If They'd Swap A Service For Childcare?
Josiegirl 07:06 AM 05-29-2018
I have a couple handyman projects I need to have done and not sure if I feel confident enough to do them myself. I'm sending home a newsletter today anyways and was wondering if it'd be appropriate to add something to the effect that if anyone would be interested in fixing these things for me, I'd apply dc rates somehow.
What do you all think about this? Thanks!!
Unregistered 07:12 AM 05-29-2018
Yes I have. Got my whole outside of my house painted for 1 months daycare. It was a deal at that but they said the overage was on them for the excellent care I have taken care of their daughter.
boy_mom 08:30 AM 05-29-2018
We did that with tenants and it ended up being a nightmare. He was a landscaper and we took money off the monthly rent in exchange for him doing yard upkeep - this was his idea... at first it was great, then he got lazy on his end. When we asked him if he didn't want to do it anymore it became a nightmare situation with him because he refused to pay the full rent AND refused to provide law services.

I guess just make sure you outline everything in detail, like exactly what the job is and includes and exactly how many weeks of free child care are being exchanged.

That was our pitfall, the agreement was way too vague and left for an ugly relationship after a while!
Cat Herder 08:39 AM 05-29-2018
It's been a 50/50 success rate for me. Plumber, electrician and A/C DCD's all worked out well.

Lawn maintenance, pressure washing and deck repair DCD's did not. Maybe stick with the licensed tradesmen (or women ).
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 05-29-2018
Thanks all!
I remember approaching one of my former dcs about fixing my computer and saving his dc expenses that week but he wasn't interested. He had 2 kids, thought it sounded like a good deal. But this time instead of approaching anyone personally, I'll put it out there in the newsletter and see if anybody shows an interest. That way no one will feel put on the spot. Or maybe they know of someone who's a handyman but won't charge $100 to walk in my door.
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it!
284878 10:33 AM 05-29-2018
Tom recommends to not trade services but to exchange proper fees.

Asking for recommendations would be the best route IMO.
Ariana 11:27 AM 05-29-2018
My friend actually got his neighbour to watch his kids for him in exchange for doing home repairs for them! Worked out great.
TomCopeland 01:12 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a couple handyman projects I need to have done and not sure if I feel confident enough to do them myself. I'm sending home a newsletter today anyways and was wondering if it'd be appropriate to add something to the effect that if anyone would be interested in fixing these things for me, I'd apply dc rates somehow.
What do you all think about this? Thanks!!
I hate to bring this up, but when you exchange services, it's bartering and there are tax consequences. See my article: http://tomcopelandblog.com/tax-conse...ces-child-care
BrynleeJean 01:38 PM 05-29-2018
I haven't.
Ive almost had it asked if i would in some slight way by some parents, friends of my family who I've watched their kids for a short time, but I've always wanted to keep it business. Im sure others may think its weird but in my mind it would start with a swap of favor then an IOU then a taking of advantage and I tend to be that person that can get myself deep in those situations, then where do you term? theres no contract, no legit exchange of services on paper agreed upon so yea. I don't.
Josiegirl 02:41 PM 05-29-2018
Well hmmm. I wish I'd read Tom's article before I sent the newsletter home. Well, I doubt anyone will respond anyways. They're usually so busy.
Oh well, I learned something today so that's good, right?
CityGarden 12:51 PM 05-30-2018
I have never but I have thought about doing a referral discount or something like that....
hwichlaz 01:39 PM 05-30-2018
I got a root canal and crown.
Tags:bartering
Reply Up