Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Lost A DCF Because Of Your Own Absences?
NightOwl 06:00 AM 05-14-2014
I'm wondering this because I'm just paranoid about taking off. In the last full year, I've missed one day for a BAD stomach virus and opened two hours late on Monday because I twisted my ankle and had to see a Dr. My sub couldn't get here until 8. I think that's a pretty good track record but it got me to thinking about this.
BumbleBee 06:11 AM 05-14-2014
I'm paranoid too! I have yet to call off but it's bound to happen eventually. I had norovirus overnight but my sub was able to come in so I just gave parents the choice to bring the kids or not. Everybody showed up. My sub was wiped out after 8 hrs (I did the first hr (which consisted of a txt to parents to send their kids into the playroom where there were cartoons & breakfast waiting. I layed on the couch on the other side of the room until my sub arrived) and finished the last 2 hrs after I showered & felt human again)
SignMeUp 06:30 AM 05-14-2014
Almost all of my families over the years have been great! This helps me downplay the few who weren't.
One left after getting angry at me for taking off when my father died unexpectedly.
Another was a dc trainer and used me as an example in her class - of how difficult it was to have a child in fcc! This was because I took off ONE DAY after a serious injury, and before I had surgery. I used that day to line up subs and assistants for the eight weeks that I had physical limitations.
I guess it takes all types, and some types refuse to look beyond their own needs. Both of these were upsetting to me at the time, but I look back and realize that it was NOT me, it was THEM.
I am an extremely reliable provider, with clear policies. Over lots of years of doing childcare, I can still count on my fingers the days I have taken without notice. It averages far less than one day per year.
SO - Don't take it personally if someone gets ticked. It is most likely THEM, not you
mountainside13 06:36 AM 05-14-2014
I have! I was going to take 2 weeks off for maternity leave. One mom wasn't happy about it and I gave in and only took a week off. Long story short, she gave me 2 weeks notice my first day back. They were my favorite family back then and went above and beyond and turned into really good friends...guess not.
daycare 06:44 AM 05-14-2014
rule #1 do what works for you, TRUST me when I tell you, DCF will always do the same.

We are human, not robots. We get sick, have families, have emergencies and etc. Parents who don't understand this don't need to be in your DC.

I learned to stop worrying about the parents because I need to take care of ME and my family first. If they leave, well then they leave. I will just have to take time to fill the spot.

I am so tired right now I can't think back, but to what I can recall in 11 years I have closed 1 time for illness without much notice.

Everything else, I make sure that I give the parents plenty of notice.

Also, before I had helpers, I learned to be proactive as possible when I could. Like scheduling everyone's medical/dental appt on a holiday like presidents day that I would close but could make appts. I even made my own appts for months and months in advance so that if I needed to close I could.

I am lucky to have helpers now, but I still do what I need to do without much thought of how it will affect others.
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 05-14-2014
I have not but I currently have two families that did leave their previous caregiver for that reason.

IMHO, there is a big difference between planned time off though and unplanned time off.

I think if families are aware of close/vacation dates in advance, they are more apt to deal with them easily and without issue.

I close for 2 full weeks each year as well as 7 other days. ALL of which are pre-planned with notice given to parents in January.

I totally understand that things can happen that eliminate a provider's ability to give notice (as many providers are parents to young kids etc) but in those cases, I think you either need to have reliable back up that can fill in or you need to have really flexible parents that can work with short notice closings.

It's a tough row to hoe but it's part of the business I guess.
Play Care 06:55 AM 05-14-2014
I see both side of the issue. Yes, part of the job is to be reliable. But anyone who chooses in home child care has to know that providers get sick, their kids get sick, other emergencies crop up, etc. if a parent gets upset because I have to call out due to illness, that tells me they are poor planners. It tells me there will be other issues down the road due to their inability to think logically. Now, I don't call out because I need a mental health day ( the way I might have done when I worked outside the home) and I do need to make sure I am open/ available when I say I will be. I don't ever want parent to feel I'm closed more,than I'm open, KWIM?

This is actually timely for me as I'm thinking of firing dd's piano teacher. She is always calling off or canceling. Last night we were supposed to have a make up lesson and she cancelled because the lessons she had scheduled before ours canceled on her and she didn't want to hang out and wait until our lesson time...not the first time this has happened but it will be the last. Obviously I'm not counting on her for child care, but similar in that she runs her own business and makes her own policies.
TaylorTots 07:09 AM 05-14-2014
My two kids average 2-3 days per year that DH can't take off and are too sick to quarantine - so I close those days and parents usually get their notice at 4am when I'm up with a vomiting child.

I have never closed due to me being sick.

I take 2-3 personal days per year, unpaid, to get appointments done that I can't do on weekends or after hours. I give a month notice.

I take 7-8 vacation days in the summer, unpaid, for our family vacations.

And finally, I close early very rarely. So far, it has been just once for my son's kindergarten graduation.

I have never lost a family due to my absences. And if I did, honestly, good riddance. Each family is very replaceable in terms of business outlook and I follow my contract policies that they agreed to.
daycaremum 07:24 AM 05-14-2014
One family left (after 3 years), they got a spot at the local b/a school care program. One of their reasons was that they found it difficult to find alternate care when I booked time off. Apparently it had nothing to do with the fact that the fee where they were going would be a third of what I charged
Didn't bother me, the parents were dicks anyways and I was glad to see them go (like the kids).
Funny how they came for three years and funny how they knew this was a reality of a home daycare, that parents are responsible for their own back up.
Do what is best for you, you will find that no matter what you do there will always be some family that doesn't like it.
melilley 08:16 AM 05-14-2014
I haven't, but I have a dcf who came to me because their previous provider always called off. She often texted them when they were on their way to her house! Dcb was only there for 9 months and the dc provider called off something like 12 times! Now that's extreme!

I have it in my contract that I get 5 whatever days, 1 paid and one non paid week of vacation as well as holidays. They all agreed to this so if they did leave because I called off....see ya!
Shell 08:18 AM 05-14-2014
I was at a child's birthday party recently and heard a few parents complaining about this. The parents love the cost of home daycare but then get angry when we can't always provide a back up and can't be available 52 weeks a year. What I gathered was that it all comes down to cost: they were much more likely not to complain if the provider didn't charge for sickness or vacations. I rarely take a day off unplanned, but I have started recently (all unpaid) if need be. I'm trying not to worry so much about it, too!
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
I was at a child's birthday party recently and heard a few parents complaining about this. The parents love the cost of home daycare but then get angry when we can't always provide a back up and can't be available 52 weeks a year. What I gathered was that it all comes down to cost: they were much more likely not to complain if the provider didn't charge for sickness or vacations. I rarely take a day off unplanned, but I have started recently (all unpaid) if need be. I'm trying not to worry so much about it, too!
This can definitely be true in a majority of cases but I think the BIGGEST thing is communication.

If parents are aware of and know your plans/policies AHEAD OF TIME then the resentment and/or frustration doesn't happen.

Handling unexpected closures is something I discuss thoroughly during the interview so that parents are aware of how I manage unexpected closings BEFORE they happen.

I also discuss with them MY expectations for them. For example, I do NOT provide a back up provider and expect parents to manage that portion of it.

Sometimes it does come down to costs but not always. I charge the same flat rate 52 weeks a year and NONE Of my parents have issues with that.

However, I am VERY reliable and RARELY close without a LOT of advance notice so I am sure that makes a difference too.

I would think like everything else in this line of work...it comes down to your relationship with the parent, how well you communicate and whether or not you work WITH your clients so that everything is a two way street.
SilverSabre25 08:28 AM 05-14-2014
Yep.

I enrolled a family just about three years ago. I was 8.5 months pregnant and they knew (obviously) that I would be taking a week off when my son was born. That's right ladies, just one week off.

They left during that week, saying that it was because they needed someone more reliable and that taking a week off was unacceptable.

I still wish I knew what the HELL they were thinking either when they enrolled or when they left.
MsLaura529 08:28 AM 05-14-2014
I have actually had to take a couple last minute days off (due to pulling my bicep and not being able to even lift my coffee mug in the morning). The parents have all been understanding, and they all have back-up care ready. I felt horrible, but did not feel comfortable having the children here and not being able to pick them up, change diapers, even carry plates to them at lunch. It happens, we are real people, too.
MotherNature 08:43 AM 05-14-2014
I had a family leave in January for taking my vacation. Mind you, they signed the contract, and I sent reminders out. They had over a full month of notice of my vacay days. The family also only gave me a week's notice on THEIR vacays,which I let slide. I had my 2 weeks paid vacay lined up around Xmas & Thanksgiving, so the way I arranged it w/ paid holidays being in there, I had almost 3 weeks off, paid. I even shorted myself a paid day. They claimed I left them in a bind b/c mom worked retail & the holidays were busy..um..you had over a month's notice! They said they knew they were forfeiting their deposit by leaving w/ no notice, and that was that until they requested tax info. I was the baby's 1st daycare, and they were here 6 mos. It was weird...
Annalee 08:51 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This can definitely be true in a majority of cases but I think the BIGGEST thing is communication.

If parents are aware of and know your plans/policies AHEAD OF TIME then the resentment and/or frustration doesn't happen.

Handling unexpected closures is something I discuss thoroughly during the interview so that parents are aware of how I manage unexpected closings BEFORE they happen.

I also discuss with them MY expectations for them. For example, I do NOT provide a back up provider and expect parents to manage that portion of it.

Sometimes it does come down to costs but not always. I charge the same flat rate 52 weeks a year and NONE Of my parents have issues with that.

However, I am VERY reliable and RARELY close without a LOT of advance notice so I am sure that makes a difference too.

I would think like everything else in this line of work...it comes down to your relationship with the parent, how well you communicate and whether or not you work WITH your clients so that everything is a two way street.
True statement in bold...I know there are some ruffled feathers sometimes with personal day use, but we seem to get through them. I don't think the parents are upset with me, it is that they do not have backup care which they should from the interview forward. I explain the use of my personal days in the interview, usually for a family issue and I DO NOT open with 2 subs....Parents in the interview always say how that is OK, but when it actually happens they see it differently. It is definitely a two-way street.
KiddieCahoots 09:16 AM 05-14-2014
I once lost a family due to excessive days off. My dd was ill and at the time I was a single mom, so I had no other choice other than to close to get her to many doctor appointments or the hospital. The family was great and we kept in touch, but it simply came down to them not having back up care.
TwinKristi 09:17 AM 05-14-2014
No, I haven't. I have only called off twice I think in almost 2yrs. The first time was only one child and he got us all sick with Norovirus so it was for the best. The other time was a couple months ago when we got a stomach virus from a DCG and my DS was super sick and throwing up.
I did have an interview for a family who's current provider called off numerous times. Their son was only 18mos and she had called out at least once a month, sometimes more, because she or her kids were sick. They were expecting a baby in a few months and didn't want the instability of finding backup care for 2 kids. She ended up choosing someone closer to home but she did leave her provider for that reason and because she would be transporting her own kids to and from school every day AND taking Fridays off. It was a lot of changes at once combined with the frequent absences.
MarinaVanessa 09:20 AM 05-14-2014
Let me tell you a story ...

Once upon a time there was a child care provider and she was very nice. She never closed when she was sick and opened earlier or closed later for her clients when they asked and everything was well.

One day the provider decided that she wanted to go on an adventure and take a vacation. She gave her clients 6 months advance notice of when she was going on this adventure and closing the daycare during this time. Every month after that she reminded them of her adventure and her clients all agreed and smiled and were jolly. Then one day right before her adventure her ugly step-client told her that she could not go. That she needed the provider to stay and watch her child so that she could work. The ugly step-client scowled and fumed at the nice provider and told her that if she went on her adventure that the provider would be forbidden to watch her child any longer.

The provider fretted about this and was sad. She pleaded with her ugly step-client but it was of no use. The ugly step-client would not change her mind. The nice provider, fraught with distraught, fled high up into her tower weeping unsure of what to do.

She decided she would ask the magic oracle of the friendly wisps for help so she sat down at her writing desk and clickety-clacked on the magic keyboard to share the story of her woes. The friendly wisps in the magic oracle were very kind and shared their displeasure. They offered encouragement and advice and with their help she decided that she would go on her adventure anyway. She was tired of working and working and not being able to go to balls or adventures or even to her yearly annual gynecology appointments. She packed up her bags and put on her suit of armor to prepare for the hard battle that was ahead.

When she next saw her ugly step-client she stood tall with pride and courage and told her ugly step-client that she would indeed go on her adventure! The ugly step-client raged! She roared and boomed and transformed into an evil dragon and molten lava and fire spit out of her eyes and poured out in a heated dragon's breath of death! But the nice provider stayed strong and remembered that she did not care if her ugly step-client left! She was tired of working like a slave and not being appreciated so she raised her sword high over her head and shouted "Don't forget to give me your 2 week notice in writing!" and cast her out of her castle.

The ugly step-client went home and after thinking about how naughty she had been decided to call the nice provider and apologize for turning into a dragon and for being mean and ugly and asked if she could come back. The nice provider had a very kind heart and agreed to let her come back only if she was on her best behavior.

The nice provider went on her vacation and laid out in the sun while she sipped on Micheladas and she lived happily ever after.

THE END
Play Care 09:30 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

Once upon a time there was a child care provider and she was very nice. She never closed when she was sick and opened earlier or closed later for her clients when they asked and everything was well.

One day the provider decided that she wanted to go on an adventure and take a vacation. She gave her clients 6 months advance notice of when she was going on this adventure and closing the daycare during this time. Every month after that she reminded them of her adventure and her clients all agreed and smiled and were jolly. Then one day right before her adventure her ugly step-client told her that she could not go. That she needed the provider to stay and watch her child so that she could work. The ugly step-client scowled and fumed at the nice provider and told her that if she went on her adventure that the provider would be forbidden to watch her child any longer.

The provider fretted about this and was sad. She pleaded with her ugly step-client but it was of no use. The ugly step-client would not change her mind. The nice provider, fraught with distraught, fled high up into her tower weeping unsure of what to do.

She decided she would ask the magic oracle of the friendly wisps for help so she sat down at her writing desk and clickety-clacked on the magic keyboard to share the story of her woes. The friendly wisps in the magic oracle were very kind and shared their displeasure. They offered encouragement and advice and with their help she decided that she would go on her adventure anyway. She was tired of working and working and not being able to go to balls or adventures or even to her yearly annual gynecology appointments. She packed up her bags and put on her suit of armor to prepare for the hard battle that was ahead.

When she next saw her ugly step-client she stood tall with pride and courage and told her ugly step-client that she would indeed go on her adventure! The ugly step-client raged! She roared and boomed and transformed into an evil dragon and molten lava and fire spit out of her eyes and poured out in a heated dragon's breath of death! But the nice provider stayed strong and remembered that she did not care if her ugly step-client left! She was tired of working like a slave and not being appreciated so she raised her sword high over her head and shouted "Don't forget to give me your 2 week notice in writing!" and cast her out of her castle.

The ugly step-client went home and after thinking about how naughty she had been decided to call the nice provider and apologize for turning into a dragon and for being mean and ugly and asked if she could come back. The nice provider had a very kind heart and agreed to let her come back only if she was on her best behavior.

The nice provider went on her vacation and laid out in the sun while she sipped on Micheladas and she lived happily ever after.

THE END

TwinKristi 09:50 AM 05-14-2014
Love it mv!!!!
craftymissbeth 09:51 AM 05-14-2014
That was the best story I've ever read!
Leanna 10:41 AM 05-14-2014
Who doesn't love a good fairy tale?
KiddieCahoots 10:55 AM 05-14-2014
......LOL!!!
That was just toooo gooood!
Thanks MV!
SignMeUp 11:06 AM 05-14-2014

I do agree. But there can sometimes be bad apples. I have only had a couple. It was upsetting at the time, but looking back, it was their loss more than mine.
One left because I took time off for my father's funeral, then asked a friend later (when she had her 2nd child) if she had burned her bridges with me. Um what do you think?
The other remained with me for another year or so, but our relationship was never the same. They did all the necessary things just fine, but to me it was STRICTLY business after that.

Ironically, I've seen and talked with the first one since then, and she was apologetic and nice. The second one - crickets
Heidi 11:10 AM 05-14-2014

MV...that is great!
renodeb 11:45 AM 05-14-2014
I can honestly say I have never lost any one but I don't abuse my days off either. (it sounds like you don't either) Each time I take vacation I give a months notice minimum. Four years ago when my grma passed away I took a week off and all my clients were great. It sounds like you made every effort to have some one there.
I used to fell guilty to take vacation but with each passing year that guilt fades. If we don't take care of us then how in the heck can we take care of the kids in our dc?
Deb
daycare 12:48 PM 05-14-2014
MV you should write story books for children Ill buy all of them
NightOwl 01:03 PM 05-14-2014
MV, you're officially my favorite!
renodeb 01:09 PM 05-14-2014
I take off two weeks a year for vacation, and all school holidays. Plus when I go on vacation I don't charge them. Now who would complain about that. Well years ago I had one mom who worked as a dental hygenist, she was always bragging about how much money she made and how she had all these days off saved up. But when I notified her about vacation she always belly ached. My current group is great and luckily they all have back up care.
I think generally dc parents are selfish, they don't want to be inconvenienced in any way, shape or form. I think thats the appeal of a dc center.
cheerfuldom 01:24 PM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

THE END
awesome. thanks for the laugh!
cheerfuldom 01:31 PM 05-14-2014
I have taken two sick days off in over 6 years of daycare with notice. I also had a family emergency which involved me driving cross country, taking custody of my brother and also my grandmother passing away but thankfully, the daycare parents were so understanding and encouraging me to take even more time off. I think it ended up being three days, can't remember, but yeah other than that, I dont take time off.

Now it came back to bite us thought because my husband was recently turned down for a promotion because he "used too much of his sick time". Sick time is a company benefit with no guidelines in place about using too much time and because I work, have four young children including a special needs child, my husband did a number of appointments this years. probably 6 or 8 days used of his 14 days. He has worked his tail off for over 10 years for this company and now they say he wont be promoted due to using his sick time? gah! Now I am wondering if I should have closed the daycare more often so he wouldnt have used the time......
CraftyMom 01:34 PM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

THE END
I LOVE IT!!!
Angelsj 06:09 PM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
MV, you're officially my favorite!
lol
saved4always 12:41 PM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

THE END

Love your story!!! You could have a great career in writing!
TwinKristi 10:12 PM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have taken two sick days off in over 6 years of daycare with notice. I also had a family emergency which involved me driving cross country, taking custody of my brother and also my grandmother passing away but thankfully, the daycare parents were so understanding and encouraging me to take even more time off. I think it ended up being three days, can't remember, but yeah other than that, I dont take time off.

Now it came back to bite us thought because my husband was recently turned down for a promotion because he "used too much of his sick time". Sick time is a company benefit with no guidelines in place about using too much time and because I work, have four young children including a special needs child, my husband did a number of appointments this years. probably 6 or 8 days used of his 14 days. He has worked his tail off for over 10 years for this company and now they say he wont be promoted due to using his sick time? gah! Now I am wondering if I should have closed the daycare more often so he wouldnt have used the time......
how lame!! I've been thankful that my dh is self-employed so was able to move jobs around if I really needed him. He's looking for a new job working for someone else and this is one thing I'm worried about. Not sure if I'm ready for that!
KidGrind 03:56 AM 05-16-2014

I had to giggle. I had a DCM complain about planned closures. There were four days in question she was attempting to bully/guilt trip me into not closing. She even claimed 3 of the days were not listed in the contract. I admit I thought I had made an error and BELIEVED HER. I had made some contract edits. The fourth day was a planned day off in which parents were given over a month notice. 2 of the days were paid and two of them were not.

She gave me so much grief I decided to take the bullet if it was my mistake and not listed in her contract (due to my editing) and open for the 3 days. If I expect parents to follow the contract, I should to. If I made an error then I need to be accountable. So I read her contract and the 3 were listed. I was so mad at myself for believing her shenanigans for 1 second. I texted her telling her the days were listed and I would be closing. The fourth day I told her, “No way, no how….”

I assisted her with care elsewhere. She no showed.
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I had to giggle. I had a DCM complain about planned closures. There were four days in question she was attempting to bully/guilt trip me into not closing. She even claimed 3 of the days were not listed in the contract. I admit I thought I had made an error and BELIEVED HER. I had made some contract edits. The fourth day was a planned day off in which parents were given over a month notice. 2 of the days were paid and two of them were not.

She gave me so much grief I decided to take the bullet if it was my mistake and not listed in her contract (due to my editing) and open for the 3 days. If I expect parents to follow the contract, I should to. If I made an error then I need to be accountable. So I read her contract and the 3 were listed. I was so mad at myself for believing her shenanigans for 1 second. I texted her telling her the days were listed and I would be closing. The fourth day I told her, “No way, no how….”

I assisted her with care elsewhere. She no showed.
Glad you stood your ground though and corrected your mistaken belief.

Just goes to show you that you can't please them all...

I had one who complained about every.single day I had planned to be closed.

Finally I got sick of her complaining about those days that I told her I would change my contract for HER and not charge her for any days I am closed.

Her reply "But you are hardly ever closed."

I figured it out and am actually making a few MORE dollars off of her than I was before (I switched scheduling rules around on her to compensate ME for not charging her for those days... and she now realizes the "good thing" she HAD going on but I refuse to discuss this topic with her anymore.
Second Home 09:14 AM 05-16-2014
I have never lost a client for this reason , I have only closed with short notice 1 time in 11+ years . And that was because there was a major blizzard coming and we had a cruise wedding to get to . Our flights were cancelled 2 days before we were to leave ,We decided to drive to FL so we would make the trip. I called every family and asked if they were coming all but 1 said no . I told him sorry but I had to close .

If fact it is my family who misses out on last minute events & things because I am here for the dcp .
childcaremom 09:27 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
If fact it is my family who misses out on last minute events & things because I am here for the dcp .
c

This exactly. I always tell my clients during interviews that it is their responsibility to have a back up plan and that I am human and can only do what I can do.

I have closed twice with short notice. Once because two of my kids had the stomach flue. Once I had norovirus.

My vacation times are planned months in advance and I give plenty of reminders.

If someone ever gave me a hard time about taking time off, or closing when I am sick, well they are better off elsewhere.
MarinaVanessa 09:56 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
If someone ever gave me a hard time about taking time off, or closing when I am sick, well they are better off elsewhere.
And this was really my point in my story. We are only human and we have family's too. We get sick, our kids get sick, we need an occasional vacation, we need to go to the Dr's too. A client that expects you to stay open 365 days a year should look into center care. A client that expects ONE person to care for many children on her own and not ever close is not thinking of anyone other than their own needs, they're not even thinking about the needs of their own children. A provider that never takes a day or holiday off is more prone to burnout, fatigue and illness and that IS NOT good when you care for children.

The way I see it is a provider can either be okay with not taking days off or she can be okay with possibly losing a client if she does take days off. It does happen, sometimes clients do leave. Sometimes they just threaten you and say that they will (like in my case). It's not until we as provider learn to unburden ourselves of client's problems that we will be able to fully enjoy caring for the children and running our own businesses. THIS IS A BUSINESS ... do what is in the best interest of your business. It is not realistic to think that a business will never close, especially a sole proprietorship. Taking days off rejuvenates us and that directly impacts the children and the care that we provide.
SignMeUp 10:33 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
It is not realistic to think that a business will never close, especially a sole proprietorship. Taking days off rejuvenates us and that directly impacts the children and the care that we provide.
So true. And I have seen that some centers also close. It's just not likely that it will be on short notice (though I have seen that too, due to weather, or a leaking roof, situations like that). One of my families wanted to nit-pick the finances of my vacation plan, and used their old center's policy as the example of "how it should be". I had to point out to them that it worked out exactly the same financially. It was just a different way of working the numbers

The centers that I know of that close do so for either: vacation/break time for all of their employees at once OR for an annual training for the employees, sometimes coinciding with an annual clean-up/painting of the center.
NightOwl 10:38 AM 05-16-2014
For anyone who did NOT read all of the responses, it will be well worth your time to scroll back to read MV's fairy tale!
Reply Up