Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Early...
JackandJill 09:08 AM 06-20-2016
And good lord, it doesn't seem worth the hassle from parents!

Are you refunding/prorating for hours you will close? No, unless you want to pay my hourly rate. If that's the case, you owe me an extra $20 for the hours Johnny and Sally were in care today.

Can you keep little Johnny awake so I can nap him when we pick up? No, we are following our regular schedule for the day.

Will they get extra outdoor time in the am since you won't do your afternoon walk? No, please see above.

Omg, each parent was a pain about closing 90 minutes early! I guess next time my child needs a last minute doctors appt, I will cancel care for the entire day!
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
And good lord, it doesn't seem worth the hassle from parents!

Are you refunding/prorating for hours you will close? No, unless you want to pay my hourly rate. If that's the case, you owe me an extra $20 for the hours Johnny and Sally were in care today.

Can you keep little Johnny awake so I can nap him when we pick up? No, we are following our regular schedule for the day.

Will they get extra outdoor time in the am since you won't do your afternoon walk? No, please see above.

Omg, each parent was a pain about closing 90 minutes early! I guess next time my child needs a last minute doctors appt, I will cancel care for the entire day!
...or be proactive instead of reactive and when you notify parents of the early closing, address the anticipated questions before they ask.

"NOTICE

Daycare will be closing 90 minutes early on Monday June 20. No credits, discounts or special accommodations will be made due to this early closing. If you have additional questions, please refer to your Parent Handbook first before asking. Thank you!"

Unregistered 09:30 AM 06-20-2016
I have never had to do this, thank goodness. I'm glad I waited until ds was in school full time to open.

I don't even close when I'm sick...but when ds was little, I wouldn't have had a choice. I should clarify before anyone rips me to shreds...I'm not sick that often, and when I am, it's cold type stuff. Nothing dck's aren't alreafy coming here with
JackandJill 09:39 AM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...or be proactive instead of reactive and when you notify parents of the early closing, address the anticipated questions before they ask.

"NOTICE

Daycare will be closing 90 minutes early on Monday June 20. No credits, discounts or special accommodations will be made due to this early closing. If you have additional questions, please refer to your Parent Handbook first before asking. Thank you!"
Yes, I will definitely have to do this from now on!

I didn't have too much notice myself, and was telling parents as they dropped off. I thought parents would appreciate putting the appointment in the afternoon and let them have some time to get work done! Live and learn!
Cat Herder 11:00 AM 06-20-2016
I typically close for the entire day and credit their accounts in situations like this. Very rare.

Closing early left too much risk of the parent not arriving on time and my missing my event.

Opening late works much better as grandparents/family can often fill the gap and the risk is not mine to bear, but parents still wanted the whole day deducted for the inconvenience.
Snowmom 03:19 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I typically close for the entire day and credit their accounts in situations like this. Very rare.

Closing early left too much risk of the parent not arriving on time and my missing my event.

Opening late works much better as grandparents/family can often fill the gap and the risk is not mine to bear, but parents still wanted the whole day deducted for the inconvenience.
Ugh. Yes.
No matter how many times or ways you remind people, there's always the one who ruins it for everyone.
JackandJill 04:39 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This is exactly what happened today! The one dad who was giving me the most grief about it showed up almost 15 minutes late.

What a nightmare! I never close other than my scheduled days off but today I really need to get my little one into the pedi. Turns out my son has pneumonia and a double ear infection. I really love all my parents, can't believe they acted like this today!
Blackcat31 04:48 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
This is exactly what happened today! The one dad who was giving me the most grief about it showed up almost 15 minutes late.

What a nightmare! I never close other than my scheduled days off but today I really need to get my little one into the pedi. Turns out my son has pneumonia and a double ear infection. I really love all my parents, can't believe they acted like this today!
It's during a crisis (big and/or small) that you learn what families truly appreciate/respect the relationship.

I'm sorry this DCD was late.
Play Care 03:15 AM 06-21-2016
I hope he was charged a late fee. How rude!

I hope your little guy is feeling better!
Cat Herder 04:52 AM 06-21-2016
I am sorry he did that. It hurts in more ways than one to be disregarded, trivialized and have it effect our children through us.

I started this field soft hearted and flexible but had to stop that. That old saying "Death by a thousand paper cuts" and all.

I hope your son feels better soon. That sounds dreadful.
DaveA 05:21 AM 06-21-2016
It's during a crisis (big and/or small) that you learn what families truly appreciate/respect the relationship.

I'm sorry this DCD was late.
This to a T. When I was in the hospital a while back DCPs asked DW how I was doing, offered to watch my own kids, check on the animals, bring meals over.......and one DCM only replied by asking how I handled refunds for unscheduled closings (while I was still in the ER)

One of the hardest lessons is learning that you should do what's best for your family even if it annoys someone else.

Hope your child is doing well.
Unregistered 05:54 AM 06-21-2016

Separates who thinks of us as "human doings" from who thinks of us as human beings.
childcaremom 05:56 AM 06-21-2016
Having a parent show up late on a day I need them to be on time is my biggest pet peeve. I now just take the whole day off when I have an appt.

Sorry that happened and hope your little guy feels better soon.
Tags:early closing, early closing time
Reply Up