Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should We Close For Baby Birth (Delivery Time At Hospital)
Childcare-yps 03:50 AM 06-19-2018
Hi,

I have a question that should we close our daycare when we have to go to hospital when you are in labor... or is it fine to keep open if we have teachers and helpers qualified cpr... What are the policy and rules for licensing... please share....
mostly we will be home within 2-3 days after delivering a baby but i am not aware of licensee should go away from home for this if we appoint teacher n helper behind for kids....

Please share your suggestions and what is the right thing to do... thanks!
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 06-19-2018
You can have a substitute. Each state is different in what qualifies as one, though.

In my state they would have to have a federal background check previously filed with the state, be over 21, meet minimum annual training requirements and have been trained on my contract, policies and childrens individual needs.

Parents and my licensor would need to be notified by phone/text prior to my leaving grounds.
Jupadia 05:36 AM 06-19-2018
I dont have any requirements where I live about who I leave the kids with but I did close for the week when I had my last.

I was able to know before hand about what way baby was coming (scheduled c section on Wednesday) . I was due to be closed already on the Monday due to a sat holiday but closed Tuesday before as well . I came home on the Friday that week. For me it was nice to not worry about the daycare even with my sub there I would have been worrying about things. The next week I did open with a sub in care of the dks and my older one. While I stayed on the main floor recovering with baby.
Childcare-yps 09:37 AM 06-19-2018
I am in california, Is anybody opens during hospital time (c-section, or not) with cleared teacher and helper behind to take care of kids... is anybody face any problem or any issue.... Can we leave qualified teacher, helper with kids when we are at hospital for 3-4 days around.
Is anybody know what is the process for licensing or should be okay if we have teacher cleared available.

TIA.
Cat Herder 10:15 AM 06-19-2018
"Adult" or "Substitute Adult" means a person who is 18 years of age or older.
(2) "Applicant" means any person or persons making an application for a license to operate a family
child care home.
(3) "Assistant Provider" means a person at least 14 years of age who is primarily involved in caring
for children during the hours that the home provides care.
(b) (Reserved)
(c) (1) "California Clearance" means an individual has no felony or misdemeanor convictions reported by
the California Department of Justice. However, the individual may have been arrested with no
criminal conviction, convicted of a minor traffic offense or adjudicated as a juvenile.

Completion of the training required pursuant to subdivisions (a) and (b) shall be
demonstrated, upon request of the licensing agency, by the following:
(1) A current pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation card issued either by the American Red
Cross or the American Heart Association, or by a training program that has been approved by the
Emergency Medical Services Authority pursuant to Section 1797.191.
(2) A current pediatric first aid card issued either by the American Red Cross or by a training
program that has been approved by the Emergency Medical Services Authority pursuant to
Section 1797.191.
(3) A certificate of completion of a course or courses in preventive health practices as defined
in subdivision (a) or certified copies of transcripts that identify the number of hours and the
specific course or courses taken for training in preventive health practices as defined in
subdivision (a).
(e) The training required under subdivision (a) shall not be provided by a home study course.
This training may be provided through on-the-job training, workshops, or classes....
HANDBOOK ENDS HERE
(d) Prior to employment or initial presence in the child care home, all employees and volunteers subject to a
criminal record review shall:
(1) Obtain a California clearance or a criminal record exemption as required by law or Department
regulations or
(2) Request a transfer of a criminal record clearance as specified in Section 102370(j) or
(3) Request and be approved for a transfer of a criminal record exemption, as specified in Section
102370.1(p), unless, upon request for a transfer, the Department permits the individual to be
employed, reside or be present at the facility.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 1596.81, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 1596.866, 1596.880,
1596.881, and 1596.882, Health and Safety Code.
CALIFORNIA-DSS-MANUAL-CCL
MANUAL LETTER NO. CCL-04-17 Effective 8/20/04
Page 35
Regulations FAMILY CHILD CARE HOMES 102416.1 (Cont.)
102416.1 PERSONNEL RECORDS 102416.1
(a) Personnel records shall be maintained on each employee and shall contain the following information:
(1) Employee's full name.
(2) Driver's license number if the employee is to transport children.
(3) Date of employment.
(4) Date of birth.
(5) Current home address and phone number.
(6) Documentation of completion of training on preventative health practices as required by Section
102416(c).
(7) Past experience, including types of employment and former employers.
(8) Duties of the employee.
(9) Termination date if no longer employed.
(10) A signed and dated copy of the Notice of Employee Rights [LIC 9052, (Rev. 03/03)] as required
by Section 102416(a) and Section 102417.
(11) A signed statement regarding their criminal record history as required by Section 102370(c).
(12) Documentation of either a criminal record clearance or a criminal record exemption as required by
Section 102370(d).
(b) Personnel records shall be maintained for all volunteers and shall contain the following:
(1) For volunteers that are required to be fingerprinted pursuant to Section 102370:
(A) A signed statement regarding their criminal record history as required by Section
102370(c).
(B) Documentation of either a criminal record clearance or a criminal record exemption as
required by Section 102370(d).
CALIFORNIA-DSS-MANUAL-CCL
MANUAL LETTER NO. CCL-03-07 Effective 7/16/03
Page 35.1
102416.1 (Cont.) FAMILY CHILD CARE HOMES Regulations
102416.1 PERSONNEL RECORDS (Continued) 102416.1
(c) All personnel records shall be kept for at least three years following termination of
employment/volunteer work.
(d) All personnel records shall be maintained at the child care home and shall be available to the licensing
agency for review.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 1596.81 and 1596.871, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections
1596.81, 1596.871, 1596.885 and 1596.8897, Health and Safety Code.

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/ord/entres/ge...pdf/fccman.pdf
TooManyKitties 09:41 PM 06-19-2018
In CA you as the licensed daycare owner can be gone no more than 20% of each day. If you are going to be in the hospital for a few days then you’d have to close for that time. At least, that’s my understanding of the CA regulations.
Childcare-yps 01:57 PM 06-21-2018
Yes that's what we are figuring out so we can arrange ahead of time and notify parents...

My question is anybody faced this same situation would like to share with me....what did you do, how did you manage, is parents come back after closing time, how long you have closed, etc..
Snowmom 07:33 AM 06-22-2018
Originally Posted by Childcare-yps:
Yes that's what we are figuring out so we can arrange ahead of time and notify parents...

My question is anybody faced this same situation would like to share with me....what did you do, how did you manage, is parents come back after closing time, how long you have closed, etc..
When I had my last child, I closed for a whopping 2 1/2 weeks. I still lost a family who gave notice the day I gave birth (on a Saturday morning and I worked the Friday before).

I did not have a substitute and closed the entire 2 1/2 weeks.

When I reopened, my husband and mom helped me find my routine and assisted with daycare for a week.

I think it all depends on what your families value in your service. If they only want one caregiver (you) in their child's life, then they may not be ok with a sub for an extended period. But, if they value the constant, uninterrupted care of having a sub, then they'll love that you have a fill in.

Either way though, I would just communicate what YOU plan on doing and what works best for YOU (not them). Families will always do what's best for them, as should you.
LittleScholars 08:45 AM 06-22-2018
Originally Posted by Childcare-yps:

With my first, I went into labor with the kids here (right before drop off) and wasn't ready to head to the hospital for many hours. It was totally fine. If it had progressed faster, parents all knew to be ready to pick up immediately. I made this VERY clear and they all agreed to this in writing. I closed for 5 weeks. I actually had planned for a sub and she cancelled at the last minute. That shook things up way more than simply closing, so I will not use a sub this time. It was a blessing to have a quiet home.

This time, my mother-in-law is certified as a sub and will run over if labor begins. Kids will still be required to be picked up immediately, but this way I have a little cushion. I will close for 7 weeks without a sub. I gave parents a very nice list of backup providers.
Annalee 10:15 AM 06-22-2018
When I had my own two children, I told clients at each time I would close seven working days from the time I had my child.....and I got paid and did not lose any clients over it...Licensing is so strict here, I do not leave subs here. I work with family members occasionally but do not feel comfortable leaving my "livelihood" in the hands of someone else. I never know who might knock on my door from who knows what state entity. I explain this in interview as well as my "helper/assistant/sub" are family so when something happens affecting my family, it takes us all out of pocket.
Tags:california - regulations, substitute
Reply Up