Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Jury Duty??
SunflowerMama 05:32 AM 06-02-2010
I just got choosen for Jury Duty. Has anyone had to go or is there a way out of it b/c of our business? Did you have to close for the day?
tymaboy 05:52 AM 06-02-2010
I often wondered about this as well. If we have to sit on a jury it could be anywhere from 1 day to a couple weeks. How are the parents (or us) to make arrangements for it.
Pammie 05:54 AM 06-02-2010
The first time I was selected for jury duty, I wrote a letter stating that I ran a home daycare and had two small children of my own at home that I didn't have alternative care for. They actually sent some sort of inspector to my home to verify...but once he saw all the kids..he very nicely said, "you're excused". Really, he was at my door all of about 7 seconds

The last time that I received notice that I was selected for jury duty, I wrote a letter stating that I was the sole proprietor of a small business, and if I served jury duty, I would have to close my business for the duration of the jury duty which would cause a financial hardship on my family...as well as a hardship on the 6 families that rely on me daily for care of their children so that they can work. I had each of my families write letters too - stating the hardship that they would face if I had to close for two weeks.....and mailed the entire packet back to the clerk of courts. About 10 days later I received a letter stating that I was excused.
momofboys 06:10 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I just got choosen for Jury Duty. Has anyone had to go or is there a way out of it b/c of our business? Did you have to close for the day?
My state has always excused me from serving. I have always been called on to serve within a few weeks of giving birth I don't want to "get out" of serving by any means but I was not willing to serve when I had a few week's old baby. And this was before I did childcare so I am not sure how I would handle it. Is there a form for you to fill out or an excuse section?
SunflowerMama 06:33 AM 06-02-2010
I filled out an excuse when I did the online survey so we'll see what they say.
tenderhearts 08:31 AM 06-02-2010
I was selected for jury duty a few months ago. I wrote the court a letter and stated that it would cause a financial hardship on my family and also the inconvenience it would cause all of my families. They excused me thank goodness, I was really worried. Thats here in my state anyways. I would think it was the same every where though.
MarinaVanessa 08:36 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
The first time I was selected for jury duty, I wrote a letter stating that I ran a home daycare and had two small children of my own at home that I didn't have alternative care for. They actually sent some sort of inspector to my home to verify...but once he saw all the kids..he very nicely said, "you're excused". Really, he was at my door all of about 7 seconds
I've done this too but I like the idea about having all of my families write letters instead. My fiance laughed at me when I wrote the letter about the daycare and had said that they wouldn't excuse me but I sent it anyway. They also sent a rep to my house to "inspect". I was surprised that they sent someone, I didn't know that they did that. He took one look around at all of the little wide eyes staring at the "funny man with the glasses" and excused me too. My fiance was not impressed but only because I proved him wrong lol.

*Off provider/jury duty topic: My fiance works for the DA's office and got a summons for jury duty that he tried getting out of and they laughed at him and denied him lol (duh) so he said "ok, have it your way". The first day he was gone for the interview (he's a supervisor and does the IT work to make sure that the computers and system function properly) their e-mail system crashed and they called him in a panic (e-mails can contain important files for cases) lol. He says "Sorry I'm on leave for jury duty remember". He was only 1 floor below his office and he said that within 15 minutes someone came in and excused him lol. Sorry, a little off topic but a story that has always given me a good chuckle.
fctjc1979 08:44 AM 06-02-2010
Yikes!!! I hope this turns out ok for you. I honestly never thought about this one.
Janet 12:37 PM 06-02-2010
I have never really though about it before. I have a back up provider, so I guess if I got selected, I could do it. Is it just me or does anyone else ever have those days where being selected for jury duty, or having a pelvic exam is preferable to being a daycare provider? lol...I kid, I kid (mostly!)
sahm2three 02:01 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I am currently on grand jury duty. It hasn't been too bad. I only have to go once a month and arrange for an alternate for that morning.
Chickenhauler 09:35 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
I have never really though about it before. I have a back up provider, so I guess if I got selected, I could do it. Is it just me or does anyone else ever have those days where being selected for jury duty, or having a pelvic exam is preferable to being a daycare provider? lol...I kid, I kid (mostly!)

I tried the 'sole proprietor-gonna have to close-financial hardship' reason, and they denied me.

Another time, I got home and found I had been summoned to appear a week before (I was gone on the road for a long stretch)....they accepted my log books as proof that I was unable to appear.

I thought jury duty was a walk in the park when I got drawn for it. The pay was a joke, but at least the lunch was free.
mac60 04:11 AM 06-04-2010
Here you get a letter with a questionairre you fill out. I got one years ago, and wrote that I could not do it because I would have a hard time finding someone guilty based on how our system works.....the "You are guilty until you prove yourself innocent". I was excused.
fctjc1979 06:16 AM 06-04-2010
You know, in all my years as a registered voter, I have NEVER been summoned for jury duty! (I'm sure I just jinxed myself and the letter is in the mail, lol)
Former Teacher 08:42 AM 06-06-2010
I remember that my former boss wanted me to stand up and say that I was prejudiced (which I am not) or I am a racist (which also I am NOT). She wanted me to say something just so she could either a. leave on her early days and b. just have me take over a class or whatever. I did neither. I was called 3 times and I served 2 times.

The reasons of serving: 1. it got me out of work j/k but most importantly 2. I was not going to embarrass myself nor my family (small town/everyone knows everyone and my parents are VERY well known)
Former Teacher 01:52 PM 06-06-2010
Originally Posted by fctjc1979:
You know, in all my years as a registered voter, I have NEVER been summoned for jury duty! (I'm sure I just jinxed myself and the letter is in the mail, lol)
That's quiet funny haha. Actually when I was in HS I was told that is how you were picked (through voter registration). I NEVER did register because of that lol. However at some point they changed it here so that now they go through your drivers licence number. I have already been drawn 3 times and yet I still never did register to vote!
fctjc1979 03:07 PM 06-06-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
That's quiet funny haha. Actually when I was in HS I was told that is how you were picked (through voter registration). I NEVER did register because of that lol. However at some point they changed it here so that now they go through your drivers licence number. I have already been drawn 3 times and yet I still never did register to vote!
I didn't know that. I'll have to look into it and see if it's the same here. Maybe they just don't like me.
HeatherB 09:47 AM 06-07-2010
I heard also that in OHIO they excuse home childcare providers too! Never been served though.
nannyde 10:20 AM 06-07-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Here you get a letter with a questionairre you fill out. I got one years ago, and wrote that I could not do it because I would have a hard time finding someone guilty based on how our system works.....the "You are guilty until you prove yourself innocent". I was excused.

I love that one.
MARSTELAC 05:47 AM 12-03-2010
T.G.I.F.!!!! So, what ever happened Sunflower? Were you excused? I got my summons yesterday. In a total panic of course. I have served in the past but not while employed as a daycare provider....does anyone have any clause in their daycare contract regarding Jury Duty? Let me know!
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 12-03-2010
I found these web-sites...maybe they will offer some answers/help....

http://www.mncourts.gov/rules/general/GRtitleIX.htm

http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/JuryInfo/juryfaq.shtml#4

http://www.mncourts.gov/district/4/?page=355
Lucy 02:50 PM 12-03-2010
Over 16 yrs of doing Daycare, I've been chosen twice. I just sent a nice, respectful letter saying that I do a valuable service for my community, and if I am gone on short notice (you don't find out if you go till the night before), 7 families would have to scramble to find other arrangements. I was excused both times.
broncomom1973 05:22 PM 12-04-2010
I was chosen for jury duty last May. I spoke in detail with the county clerk. She was very nice but told me that I HAD to report and that when they called me up to question me during the selection process, I could tell them that it was a financial hardship due to the fact that dh, who is also self employed with no paid time off benefits, had to take the day off to stay with my own 3 children plus my daycare was closed so I was losing out on pay too. Luckily for me, I reported that morning, signed in, got my $10, they ushered us into the courtroom and then the judge came out and said that just seconds before, they had reached a plea agreement, so we were all excused and we couldnt be called on again for 2 years.
DanceMom 09:15 AM 03-09-2015
I did too. I got it extended out 9 months. I tried everything to get out of it and they refuse to let me out of it.

Oops old post!!!!
Gemma 11:02 AM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by mac60:
same here
MarinaVanessa 11:23 AM 03-09-2015
I know this is an old post but Mac06's comment reminded me of someone I know. He has gotten out of every Jury Duty summons by saying that he believed that the system is corrupt, that he hates cops and thinks they are all crooked, that judges all have their own agendas and only take cases that help their cause, that lawyer's also have agendas and will work with judges to help their cause so that when they want to become judges themselves they have "someone on the inside" etc. .

I don't think he really believes any of this but it gives the impression that he hates all things relating to the Judicial and Police system so they get rid of him quick
Tags:jury duty, time off
Reply Up