Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh My God Please Help This Is Crazy!!!
cillybean83 06:55 AM 02-03-2011
OMG...i just changed dcg's diaper and she has TAPEWORMS...wtf do i do?!!?!?!?
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 02-03-2011
ewwww! http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...m-in-children/
laundrymom 06:58 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
Well after ur done puking, call mom pick up immediately. Bleach everything. Take out your trash and call your doc for what to do. Don't let them back without a fecal sample cleared by doc.
DCMomOf3 06:58 AM 02-03-2011
Call DCPs and tell them what you think, see. Save the poop for them to show the doctor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5709621_trea...worm-kids.html
KEG123 06:59 AM 02-03-2011
Gag and possibly throw up everywhere...

Then call mom ASAP.

GROSS!
SunflowerMama 07:00 AM 02-03-2011
I have no experience with tapeworms but would think you should probably save the diaper b/c her mom will have to take it to the doctor. I would definitely call mom asap to pick her up and do a super deep clean after she's picked up. Uck!!
mickey2 07:02 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I have no experience with tapeworms but would think you should probably save the diaper b/c her mom will have to take it to the doctor. I would definitely call mom to pick her up and do a deep clean after she's picked up.
Put the diaper in a ziplock bag and zip it then another ziplock bag. Call mom ASAP and yes do not allow child back into care until clearance note from doctor! Call your doctor and get your kids checked! And clean clean clean!

I am so sorry you are going through this! *Big Hugs*
cillybean83 07:05 AM 02-03-2011
SO GROSS! Mom is on the way, I lost my breakfast over this one....
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 02-03-2011
SO GROSS! Mom is on the way, I lost my breakfast over this one....
So are you saying that tapeworms are good for weight loss? LOL!

I had a kid once who had one...got it from eating fish his mom said. It was gross and he did get antibiotics and was okay but it was gross because I had never seen one before and wondered WTF too! Hang in there and just follow all the cleaning procedures and such and you should be fine except for the random gagging now and then....eeewwww!
cillybean83 07:20 AM 02-03-2011
her mom is a nurse and she was like "i know it's super gross, and she probably got it from playing with my parents new puppies, i'll take her to the doctor, get medicine, and keep her home tomorrow and it should pass over the weekend" i was like ok, that's fine, just bring me a note from the dr saying what you just told me and we're all good lol....
dEHmom 07:22 AM 02-03-2011
Ewwww.....

how does it spread? How do you know only from looking at the poop? So an older kid could have it and you wouldn't know because they dont' get you to clean their butt?
littlemonkeys 07:23 AM 02-03-2011
I used to be an OB nurse and never dealt with tapeworms before, but I'm pretty sure it is spread by actual contact with the poop. So as long as you wash your hands you're fine, but I know some babies are known to put their hands in their diapers and then touch things. So to be safe I'd wash EVERYTHING. It's probably the nurse in me, but I have all my kids wash their hands when they get here, and I wipe the younger ones hands with a baby wipe. You never know how clean dcp's keep their home. or?
missnikki 07:30 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Ewwww.....

how does it spread? How do you know only from looking at the poop? So an older kid could have it and you wouldn't know because they dont' get you to clean their butt?
*ALERT* THIS POST IS NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART!!!

I hate to know the answer to this one, but..... it is itchy down there, at night mostly. They come out to ley eggs on the anus (just outside the hole) while you are sleeping.
cillybean83 07:37 AM 02-03-2011
little segaments break off the worm and come out in the poop and they look like grains of rice, the actual worm attaches to wall of your intestine and could grow up to 20 feet long and could be in there for YEARS before you even know it!
SilverSabre25 07:39 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Gag and possibly throw up everywhere...

Then call mom ASAP.

GROSS!
that!

yuck! Kids can get them from fleas too. So can animals. My cat had tapeworms once...

(gross...don't read while eating...we need a spoiler box, lol)...

he got them from having fleas and I figured out the tapeworm by watching a segment wiggle its way out of his butt (ON MY BED!) and while trying not to throw up, called the vet. The segment look like little grains of rice...except they move...the fleas were SO BAD in our apartment at the time. We had just moved in a few months before and apparently the infestation was there but dormant when we moved in because we certainly didn't bring it with us.
MamaBear 07:52 AM 02-03-2011
Send that kid home and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! I'm sorry you have to go thru that! Oye vay!
Cat Herder 09:44 AM 02-03-2011
Sounds like a litter box (or GASP an infected sandbox?) has been in this childs past.....

PP covered everything else...
mickey2 09:54 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
that!

yuck! Kids can get them from fleas too. So can animals. My cat had tapeworms once...

(gross...don't read while eating...we need a spoiler box, lol)...

he got them from having fleas and I figured out the tapeworm by watching a segment wiggle its way out of his butt (ON MY BED!) and while trying not to throw up, called the vet. The segment look like little grains of rice...except they move...the fleas were SO BAD in our apartment at the time. We had just moved in a few months before and apparently the infestation was there but dormant when we moved in because we certainly didn't bring it with us.

Too funny! I am actually sitting here reading and having MY lunch!
Yummy lunch too! Left over from the dcks lunch........Roasted chicken potatoes and carrots!

I am sure Nannyde will agree on this one!

When you are retired from nursing, you can eat not a problem after caring for sick/elderly people. I worked in a nursing home for 10 years and would clean up things you would never imagine. Colostomy bags for example LOL and ..EVERYTHING else! Then go to the lunchroom to have my lunch with the rest of the nurses! Daycare is a breeze for me now compared to nursing!
SilverSabre25 09:55 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:

Too funny! I am actually sitting here reading and having MY lunch!
Yummy lunch too! Left over from the dcks lunch........Roasted chicken potatoes and carrots!

I am sure Nannyde will agree on this one!

When you are retired from nursing, you can eat not a problem after caring for sick/elderly people. I worked in a nursing home for 10 years and would clean up things you would never imagine. Colostomy bags for example LOL and ..EVERYTHING else! Then go to the lunchroom to have my lunch with the rest of the nurses! Daycare is a breeze for me now compared to nursing!
yeah see there are reasons I didn't go into medecine!
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
*ALERT* THIS POST IS NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART!!!

I hate to know the answer to this one, but..... it is itchy down there, at night mostly. They come out to ley eggs on the anus (just outside the hole) while you are sleeping.
You are referring to pinworms. Not tape worms. http://www.vaxa.com/human-tapeworms.cfm
The tape worm symptoms are loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pains etc. Pin worms have the symptoms you mentioned...the itchy down there thing. Tape worms attach to the intestinal wall and lay their eggs in the host. There are not always signs or symptoms of tape worms until they become visable in stool. They can grow up to 35 feet long!!
misol 10:27 AM 02-03-2011
OMG! This probably would have gotten right past me! I wouldn't have even known what to look for and would have probably assumed it was rice and gone on about my business. When I change a poopy diaper I only take a split second glance to note the color and consistency. I certainly would have missed this. Plus, I didn't know that tapeworms come out on their own. I thought they stay inside until you start the medicine.

Ugh, I'm about to lose my lunch too. And I am taking rice off our menu for the rest of the month!
E Daycare 10:28 AM 02-03-2011
AUGH!!!

Hear that screaming? Yeah, thats me, in Ohio. OMG I honestly dont know how Id react other then loading up the dck, putting them in the garage and calling dcp to say "GET THEM NOW OMG NOWNOWNOW". Ive never heard of this nor dealt with it. Poor kid! Hope dck comes back better next week
Candyland 11:30 AM 02-03-2011
ewww; that poor kid!! ugh; so then, we need an update to this story!
so, they're not tapeworms, but pinworms? ewww anyhow!
Candyland 02:05 PM 02-03-2011
ok; I just got up from a nap and had a dream about these worms! ughhhhhh. LOL
missnikki 04:10 PM 02-03-2011
Blackcat, You are absolutely right, I forgot the world is blessed with more than one nasty butt worm.

As far as the poor kid, they are probably feeling better than cillybean right about now. YUK-O-RAMA.
Reply Up