Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Books
My3cents 11:18 AM 03-29-2012
What is everyone reading these days for Adult books

for me nothing right now. Reading puts me to sleep. Summer coming up I would like to start a book that takes me away-
dEHmom 11:35 AM 03-29-2012
well i borrowed 2 from the library,

1. the power of losing control by joe caruso which I have brought up in a few posts. it's a very good book and i'm not done it yet.

2. women are crazy, men are stupid by howard j morris and jenny lee. haven't read this one yet though.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 03-29-2012
I read a lot of True Crime book and books about pychopathic behavior.....wow, that sounds relaly weird..LOL!

My favorite author is Anne Rule but right now I am re-reading "A Wolf at the Table" by Augusten Burroughs http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Table-Mem.../dp/0312342020

(He was the guy in that movie Running with Scissors) This book takes place before that time period of his life.

...otherwise I read a lot of Janet Evanovich, Stephen King, John Grisham, Stuart Woods and anything else that strikes me as interesting. I will basically read anything I guess.
dEHmom 11:49 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I read a lot of True Crime book and books about pychopathic behavior.....wow, that sounds relaly weird..LOL!

My favorite author is Anne Rule but right now I am re-reading "A Wolf at the Table" by Augusten Burroughs http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Table-Mem.../dp/0312342020

(He was the guy in that movie Running with Scissors) This book takes place before that time period of his life.

...otherwise I read a lot of Janet Evanovich, Stephen King, John Grisham, Stuart Woods and anything else that strikes me as interesting. I will basically read anything I guess.
if you like true crime stories, i recommend this book....

i enjoy TRUE crime stories, as much as i sometimes hate the content.

another awesome but short read was this book....

Blackcat31 11:53 AM 03-29-2012
I have read the second one but will defintely check out the first one looks like a good read!
dEHmom 11:57 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have read the second one but will defintely check out the first one looks like a good read!
note of caution: there is a very very sad picture in the center of the book.
Solandia 12:02 PM 03-29-2012
The Name of the Wind, by Rothfuss. Excellent read. Dh has the second one in the series on his kindle, and waiting for him to be done with it.

I have The Hunger Games on hold at the library. Curious about that one. I have been reading a lot of old historical romances...ones that I have read years & years ago...*shrug* I can read a 300+book in an evening, so it has been fun going through all the old mega series of books from johanna linsey, stephanie laurens, et al.
MsMe 12:08 PM 03-29-2012
I got curious and started Hunger Games.....its worth most of the hype so far. I just started #3 and am really excited to know how it ends.

I don't have any other recomendations right now other than STAY AWAY from Water for Elephants. Worst book ever.
dEHmom 12:16 PM 03-29-2012
1000 Splended Suns was a good book too. I couldn't put that one down.
AfterSchoolMom 12:25 PM 03-29-2012
If you want light summer reading, I highly recommend anything by Marian Keyes ("Watermelon", in particular, is my fave by her). I also like Nora Roberts for a quick, well done romance, though she does get a bit formulaic if you read a bunch of them. My favorites by her are the more "supernatural" ones, like the In The Garden Trilogy (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, Red Lily).

My all time favorite, if you've never read it, is The Bridges of Madison County. Fantastic story.

I just finished reading a couple by Joyce Magnin - The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow and Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise. Both small-town type stories, which I enjoy.

Some of my other favorites, but not so lighthearted:

The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls

Me and Emma, by Elizabeth Flock (This one is very moving and shocking)

The Mercy of Thin Air, by Ronlyn Dominique

Anything by Anita Shreve, particularly Fortunes Rocks

Anything by Maeve Binchy, particularly Light a Penny Candle

A couple of really good biographies:

A Girl Named Zippy
and
She Got Up Off The Couch, both by Haven Kimmel

My "guilty pleasure" is young adult books.

Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Darkness
Beautiful Chaos, all by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

The Night Circus, by Erin Morganstern

A Great and Terrible Beauty
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing, all by Libba Bray

Ok, I'll stop there, because I could go on and on for days!
Meyou 12:29 PM 03-29-2012
Hunger Games was gooood! I read it last year after one of my dd's did. I'm currently rereading the Eragon series so I can read the final book and follow it. lol.
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Hunger Games was gooood! I read it last year after one of my dd's did. I'm currently rereading the Eragon series so I can read the final book and follow it. lol.
My son LOVED the Eagon books and has reread them several times.
Christian Mother 02:26 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I got curious and started Hunger Games.....its worth most of the hype so far. I just started #3 and am really excited to know how it ends.

I don't have any other recomendations right now other than STAY AWAY from Water for Elephants. Worst book ever.
Ohhh...I got that book a while ago and I haven't read it yet but want to bc I saw the movie...

I like anything from PC Cast series, Beatrice Small, Francine Rivers is one of my favorite Christian authors ..I could go on and on!!

Right now I am reading a series called:The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa

I am reading the last book right now called The Iron Knight and it's really good!! It's the 4th book in the series.

After that I want to read The Hunger Games books. I am a book hoarder though and I need to get rid of the boxes of books I know my husband is going to freak out about when we get around to moving them. He's going to flip!!
Luna 02:56 PM 03-29-2012
My all-time favourite is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. For easy, fun reading I like anything I've read so far by Laurie Notaro...sort of Erma Bombeck-ish.
KDC 03:01 PM 03-29-2012
[quote=MsMe;213104]I got curious and started Hunger Games.....its worth most of the hype so far. I just started #3 and am really excited to know how it ends.

I just read all three as well... Good Read!

Jane Green - Pieces of me was good too. Nice light, fun read! =)
Crazy8 03:17 PM 03-29-2012
DD is on the 2nd Hunger Games book now and I thought of picking them up - just haven't had much time for reading lately.

Just downloaded The Lucky One (not a huge Sparks fan but the movie looks good so thought I'd read the book first) and The Fault in Our Stars but haven't started it yet (heard its good but sad).
MyAngels 03:20 PM 03-29-2012
I'm in the middle of the third Hunger Games book right now. They are not what I expected, but I've really enjoyed them.

For the most part I read psychological thriller-type fiction. I especially like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books, John Sandford's Prey and Virgil Flowers books and Robert Crais' Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series.

Other authors I like are Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, Jonathan Kellerman, Harlan Coben and Janet Evanovich.

Nothing too heavy for me .
AmyLeigh 04:31 PM 03-29-2012
No fiction for me right now. I prefer to have the time to consume a book in one sitting, and my life is not such that I can read for 2-3 hours uninterrupted. But from the library I have a book on organic gardening and Parenting with Love and Logic. I need to be more educated on both because I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!
AfterSchoolMom 05:02 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Luna:
For easy, fun reading I like anything I've read so far by Laurie Notaro...sort of Erma Bombeck-ish.
I like her too!
Sunchimes 05:34 PM 03-29-2012
Christian_Mother, have you ever heard of bookcrossing.com? We register our books on the site, label them with a unique id number and leave them in public places for other people to find. If we are lucky, the finder will go to the site and make a journal entry about where they found it and where they will leave it. It's a great way to empty your shelves and it is free and private.

I once had a book left in Texas go to LA, then to South America, Cuba, and it was last journaled in Canada. One of my books showed up 5 years after I released it.

We also trade books among ourselves and it's the best place ever to find recommendations for great books.

I've made lifelong friends there, and I am convinced that I could go almost anyplace in the world and find a BookCrosser to have dinner with me, show me around, or offer me a couch for the night.
Christina72684 06:46 PM 03-29-2012
LOVE LOVE LOVE Hunger Games! I finished all 3 books in less than a month, which is amazing for me, esp with a 1 year old! I loved how I could visually picture everything in my mind as I was reading. It was like a movie was playing in my head and I never wanted it to stop!!!

Jodi Picoult is an AMAZING author! She's written like 20 books or so and I know I've read at least 10 of them and haven't been disappointed in any of them. They're all so different, but so realistic. I highly recommend anything by her!
MsMe 07:00 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
LOVE LOVE LOVE Hunger Games! I finished all 3 books in less than a month, which is amazing for me, esp with a 1 year old! I loved how I could visually picture everything in my mind as I was reading. It was like a movie was playing in my head and I never wanted it to stop!!!
I base how 'good' a book is solely on if I can get lost in it this way. I will read for a few hours or even 15 minutes look up and realize I can't remember seeing the words on the page only the pictures I saw. I lOVE this about reading. I think people who don't like reading have never 'seen' it.
youretooloud 09:53 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
another awesome but short read was this book....

I love Tory Hayden. I also Love Mary Mckracken. I wanted to work with kids because of them. I wish I could get "Circle of Children" on my nook.
Country Kids 10:00 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I base how 'good' a book is solely on if I can get lost in it this way. I will read for a few hours or even 15 minutes look up and realize I can't remember seeing the words on the page only the pictures I saw. I lOVE this about reading. I think people who don't like reading have never 'seen' it.
This is how I taught my one son to read as this is how I read. I said picture what you are reading in your mind. It also worked when he was learning to write story paragraphs for school.
youretooloud 10:01 PM 03-29-2012
I just realized that I don't like male authors. I was looking through my book collection and all of my least favorite books are by men, while my favorite authors are women.

(with the exception of Kevin Leman)

How sexist is that?
Rachel 12:18 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
1000 Splended Suns was a good book too. I couldn't put that one down.
I read that one a year or 2 ago.

I had a whole list on goodreads at one point, but what I've read recently:

The Space Between Us

now I'm blanking but a while ago I read THe Help, loved it.

OK, seriously blank. I'm in a book club we do around a book a month, but for some reason I can't remember any of the other ones we have read recently!!

Oh, The Island. Really good. All of those are historical fiction which is what I tend to lean towards, but I know I have read others lately, just can't remember them! I guess I'm getting old
Luna 05:28 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Jodi Picoult is an AMAZING author! She's written like 20 books or so and I know I've read at least 10 of them and haven't been disappointed in any of them. They're all so different, but so realistic. I highly recommend anything by her!
I love Jodi Picoult too Our library has a waiting list for every single one of her books in every format. Nineteen Minutes is a great read.
My3cents 08:00 AM 05-28-2012
Thanks for all the responses. I need to make a trip to the library
Bookworm 07:22 PM 05-28-2012
Try Laura Lippmann and Gillian Flynn.
Tags:books
Reply Up