Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Needed - Are These Hours Doable?
Kabob 02:29 PM 01-10-2014
So, I just got an email and text from dcm regarding a sudden change of hours for the next week. She wants to do the same days, but wants to cut back the hours to 2pm to 5:30ish pm. She says she works until 5:30 pm but will "make an effort" to pick up by 5:30 pm. I am open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.

I allow one family to pick up at 5:15 pm because they were my first and they also follow the rules to the "T" and are always on time right down to the minute. This dcm, on the other hand, was always late whenever they scheduled 5:30 pm pickups in the past so I decided not to allow it anymore. They also are the family that brings their kids sick, brings their kid in the day after surgery (yep, I'm never gonna forget that), scheduled early drop offs at the last minute and then show up 2 hours late (thus the contract stating no changes past Monday unless they are willing to pay a $10 convenience fee PER DAY plus any additional fees), and generally just don't bring all the supplies needed for the day so they require constant reminders. Plus, when money is tight, they like to cancel days at the last minute and request a refund for cancelled days...thus the "no refunds for cancelled days" policy.

Sounded harsh to me at first, but I was really taking a huge financial hit since I was expecting a full time family and ended up with a family wanting to take up a full time slot for no charge.

So my gut reaction is to say no...but that's based on personal bias. I really made a lot of mistakes with this family so I feel it is my fault for not nipping it in the bud...of course when I took care of one issue, they found another way to test the boundaries.

Business wise, it makes sense to work less for the same pay PLUS additional fees, as I have a "late pick up fee" for families that want to pick up past 5:00 pm. It's $5 per 15 minutes per child. So, instead of paying $25 per day per child, they would be using less hours and paying the late pick up fee so that would be $35 per day per child. Does that sound ridiculous to you guys?

I have been juggling the idea of terming this family based on the fact that they constantly need written and verbal reminders about policies and are constantly bringing their sick kids in and then complaining about paying for the days I send their kids home sick. Plus, it is so much calmer here on the days their kids are not here...they are TERRIBLE to their parents at pick up and drop off (saying nasty things, screaming, etc) and they get all the kids riled up here on a regular basis.

The only reason why I haven't termed them is because I'm worried about finding a replacement family...finding kids 2 yrs and older around here is hard...so I would be down 2 kids that would be hard to replace.

On the other hand...I don't know if the stress is worth it. I already only have about 2 hours of family time each day minus time spent cleaning and prepping and such.
daycare 02:35 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
So, I just got an email and text from dcm regarding a sudden change of hours for the next week. She wants to do the same days, but wants to cut back the hours to 2pm to 5:30ish pm. She says she works until 5:30 pm but will "make an effort" to pick up by 5:30 pm. I am open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.

I allow one family to pick up at 5:15 pm because they were my first and they also follow the rules to the "T" and are always on time right down to the minute. This dcm, on the other hand, was always late whenever they scheduled 5:30 pm pickups in the past so I decided not to allow it anymore. They also are the family that brings their kids sick, brings their kid in the day after surgery (yep, I'm never gonna forget that), scheduled early drop offs at the last minute and then show up 2 hours late (thus the contract stating no changes past Monday unless they are willing to pay a $10 convenience fee PER DAY plus any additional fees), and generally just don't bring all the supplies needed for the day so they require constant reminders. Plus, when money is tight, they like to cancel days at the last minute and request a refund for cancelled days...thus the "no refunds for cancelled days" policy.

Sounded harsh to me at first, but I was really taking a huge financial hit since I was expecting a full time family and ended up with a family wanting to take up a full time slot for no charge.

So my gut reaction is to say no...but that's based on personal bias. I really made a lot of mistakes with this family so I feel it is my fault for not nipping it in the bud...of course when I took care of one issue, they found another way to test the boundaries.

Business wise, it makes sense to work less for the same pay PLUS additional fees, as I have a "late pick up fee" for families that want to pick up past 5:00 pm. It's $5 per 15 minutes per child. So, instead of paying $25 per day per child, they would be using less hours and paying the late pick up fee so that would be $35 per day per child. Does that sound ridiculous to you guys?

I have been juggling the idea of terming this family based on the fact that they constantly need written and verbal reminders about policies and are constantly bringing their sick kids in and then complaining about paying for the days I send their kids home sick. Plus, it is so much calmer here on the days their kids are not here...they are TERRIBLE to their parents at pick up and drop off (saying nasty things, screaming, etc) and they get all the kids riled up here on a regular basis.

The only reason why I haven't termed them is because I'm worried about finding a replacement family...finding kids 2 yrs and older around here is hard...so I would be down 2 kids that would be hard to replace.

On the other hand...I don't know if the stress is worth it. I already only have about 2 hours of family time each day minus time spent cleaning and prepping and such.
one thing I have learned about this business is to never change anything about it for one family. If several of your clients were requesting this, then I would do it, as I need to meet the needs of everyone. BUT I would never do it for one family. BTDT. You will grow to regret it....

I would tell DCM that you close at 5. Perhaps she can go in earlier or find someone else to pick up

or if you really need the money, I would be adding $$ to it to cover your cost of having to stay open later.

Some parents don't get it. They say well I am only using 4.5 hours of this day, what will one more hour hurt past your closing. UM I have been working already since 7am and have no desire to work a 14+hour day, do you?
Kabob 02:53 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
one thing I have learned about this business is to never change anything about it for one family. If several of your clients were requesting this, then I would do it, as I need to meet the needs of everyone. BUT I would never do it for one family. BTDT. You will grow to regret it....

I would tell DCM that you close at 5. Perhaps she can go in earlier or find someone else to pick up

or if you really need the money, I would be adding $$ to it to cover your cost of having to stay open later.

Some parents don't get it. They say well I am only using 4.5 hours of this day, what will one more hour hurt past your closing. UM I have been working already since 7am and have no desire to work a 14+hour day, do you?

Good point. I already had to change my hours because working 12 hours or more a day was wearing me out...and being pregnant doesn't help. If I did this, I can guarantee I'd be working about 11 hours a day or more again...which defeats the purpose of the new contracts. Of course, I would get paid more for the late hour, but it sucks waiting on edge for them to arrive and then ds is soooo crabby about being stuck with the other kids for that long.
daycare 02:55 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Good point. I already had to change my hours because working 12 hours or more a day was wearing me out...and being pregnant doesn't help. If I did this, I can guarantee I'd be working about 11 hours a day or more again...which defeats the purpose of the new contracts. Of course, I would get paid more for the late hour, but it sucks waiting on edge for them to arrive and then ds is soooo crabby about being stuck with the other kids for that long.
I think you already know your answer, but just needed some reassurance.

Honestly, unless I loved this family and really really needed the money I would say I am sorry I can't.
cheerfuldom 02:57 PM 01-10-2014
the point of late fees is to discourage late pickup, not for you to work longer hours for an extra $5. say no and keep control of your daycare business. this is a slippery slope to be extending your days and making exceptions with a family that is already a pain. start interviewing now for replacements.
Kabob 03:38 PM 01-10-2014
Yeah...I think I know the answer but I don't know if I'm making the right business decision with my family on the line. It's tough not having a surefire family lined up when you are pregnant and money is tight. Of course, I knew that going into this...

This family has always looked for ways to take advantage of me so that slippery slope sure would become a mudslide in mere seconds if I said yes....I just know she will term if I say no or tell her that it will come with a hefty late pickup fee.
earlystart 04:27 PM 01-10-2014
If you're worried about not having someone to replace them yet, then maybe you can agree to the late pick ups while you are interviewing to replace them. But you do need to replace this family, one way or another.
Crazy8 05:12 PM 01-10-2014
IF you are willing to work till 5:30 (and later cause you know they are not going to get there by 5:30 if they are working until 5:30)…. then I would make a brand new contract for them, and the rate would be pretty darn high.

But personally I would tell them no, I am sorry but my hours are only until 5pm, they can either keep their arrangements as they had already contracted or give you their notice.
Kabob 07:06 AM 01-12-2014
Well, I emailed them back and told them I couldn't do the late pickup; nor could I do the drop off time as I realized that it was during naptime and their kids are not at all quiet during drop off (one is usually screaming).

So, as expected, she gave me her 2 weeks' notice and of course asked I waive my "policy" of charging tuition for the final 2 weeks. I told her (nicely, I swear) it wasn't just a "policy"...it's a stipulation of the contract she signed. As such, she is bound by the contract to pay the final amount. She hasn't responded yet...I'm almost expecting her to try to wiggle out of paying one way or another...hopefully it won't be through underhanded means...

I'm just nervous because I haven't dealt with this kind of situation before...
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, exceptions to rules
Reply Up