Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Checking- Re:Rabies Shot
KEG123 01:22 PM 01-05-2011
So all this talk about taxes and stuff has me wondering...

I just got my two cats' rabies shots the other day. 30 bucks. No biggie really. One is a younger cat, never had it before, the other a very old cat who hadn't had his shot in years.

My question is this though, is the rabies shot tax deductible? I'm just wondering if I should throw the receipt in with my "Daycare Receipts" folder.
AnythingsPossible 01:35 PM 01-05-2011
I've always deducted it as it is a requirement for licensing. My dog get's an every 3 year dose, so it isn't a huge deal, but I do deduct it.
KEG123 01:37 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
I've always deducted it as it is a requirement for licensing. My dog get's an every 3 year dose, so it isn't a huge deal, but I do deduct it.
Thanks! We only got 1 year doses this time, but will consider the 3 year next time.
MyAngels 05:38 PM 01-05-2011
I just checked in Tom Copeland's book, and he says that expenses related to your pets are personal and not deductible, including vaccinations. I have never deducted mine, since my town requires them.
KEG123 07:35 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I just checked in Tom Copeland's book, and he says that expenses related to your pets are personal and not deductible, including vaccinations. I have never deducted mine, since my town requires them.
Glad you have a book and could check! Thanks!
Abigail 09:24 PM 01-05-2011
My Angels must have the same book I have. I just wanted to add a few more details from page 93 from the Record-Keeping Book (8 Ed.)

"The costs associated with a dog, cat, or other family pet (food, license, dog house, scratching post, immunizations) are personal expenses and not deductible. If you could show that you purchased the pet to enhance your business, you could take an assertive position and argue that these expenses are deductible. For ex. a fish or gerbil placed in the play area and not a child's bedroom and involve the children in its care. You may deduct the cost of immunizations if your local regulations require them only for child care providers and not for other pet owners."

So, the only way you can deduct immunizations is if it's not required to be a pet owner in general, but if your child care agency requires them to be up to date on everything. My situation, where I currently live requires it since I rent. Once I move, I think I would be able to deduct it because we're not required in our city to be up to date on shots. I will just have to do some research. I would at least put a fish tank with some easy to care for fish and deduct those expenses and involve the children in feeding them and learning what type of fish and what colors, etc. Good deal.
AnythingsPossible 05:07 AM 01-06-2011
I just go by what my tax preparer says. She has always deducted my vaccinations on my pets, honestly I'm not sure if our town requires them or not. All I know is I turn my stuff in and she does with it what she thinks is appropriate..hope she's right!!
gbcc 05:28 AM 01-06-2011
My tax preparer always says they can't be deducted. She said if I am audited it would be very hard to proove it was dedectable and then I would have to pay back the deduction, fines and late fees.
MarinaVanessa 07:27 AM 01-06-2011
Nope, can't be deducted. The only way you can is if it is not an animal regulation requirement but is a licensing requirement. Meaning if your state doesn't require your animals to be vaccinated but your family daycare home licensing office does then you can deduct it. As far as I know my state requires it. It's the same for other vaccines and animal licenses.

We have a cat and 2 dogs and in CA we are required to keep our animals vaccinated and our dogs registered (the cat doesn't need to be registered) and none of my fees are deductible because licensing doesn't say anything about having them licensed or vaccinated and because it's already a state requirement.
Tags:rabies, vaccinations
Reply Up