Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Write Term Email
Unregistered 03:04 PM 10-04-2011
I'm a part-time daycare provider right now and I'm expecting my second child in Jan. At this point I only have two daycare kids (a set of twins) and after a lot of talking, my husband and I have decided that we're going to stop providing daycare at this point in time.

Honestly, we set up this agreement and signed all of the paperwork the week before I found out I was pregnant. They are the only kids we have and we wanted to test it out this way before opening an in-home daycare. I like being a daycare provider, but it's not a situation that will work well after our next LO arrives.

The parents are hard to work with and quite frankly try to twist the rules in their favor. They also blame the constant influx of colds their kids bring into our house on 'teething' despite the fevers, vomiting and even a case of hand, foot and mouth that I had to actually point out to the mother for her to believe me. I've had to reenforce the rules left and right as they try to slide things by me again and again. I've been able to hold my ground, but it's turned into a less than ideal situation and I don't plan to subject my newborn to it simply because the dc parents can't be honest.

The other issue is that the twins are only 4 months younger than my toddler son. It works okay now but they are on a completely different naptime and eating schedule, so I know it'll be a struggle once I have a newborn's needs to balance in the mix.

I plan to revisit the in-home daycare idea after we've had our last child and when I do, I plan to properly screen the parents for ones who will respect the rules.

Our contract requires us to give a month notice. I actually am going to be giving them more than that by telling them this week that we'll provide care until the end of November. I want to send the mom a professional email that provides no wiggle room or chance for them to bend it to their needs. I fully understand that they might pull the kids instantly, but I'm prepared for whatever.

How do you write your term letters? I want to to be clear but I don't plan to mention the real reasons for terming. I'm okay with simply saying that handing 3 toddlers with a newborn isn't something I want to do. Any suggestions about what to include and what to leave out?

Thanks!
mismatchedsocks 03:10 PM 10-04-2011
I would make it simple to the point.

Dear Daycare Family,
Effective November 15th, 2011 I will no longer be able to watch your children. It has been a joy to work with your family and it is with a heavy heart that I have made this decision. Good luck and thank you.

Sincerely, Your daycare provider.
daycare 03:11 PM 10-04-2011
Since you are closing why would you have to give them a term letter? Why not just give them a letter and let them know that you have decided to close. I know that there are several letters posted on this site about daycares that have decided to close. I think that this would be a better way to go, this way there is no wiggle room and no one leaves upset...

Maybe something short, sweet and simple,

dear DCfamily,

Over the past several months I have had great pleasure caring for your little ones (name and name.) With much regret, my family and I have made the decision to discontinue daycare in our home. We will be closing our doors on November 7, 2011.
I really want to wish you and your family the best of luck.
Include the name of your R&R and sign your name
Michael 03:42 PM 10-04-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ination+letter
daycare 03:49 PM 10-04-2011
lol I think we were posting at the same exact time!
kendallina 04:32 PM 10-04-2011
Is there a reason you don't want to tell her in person? After providing care for someone, it seems pretty impersonal and a little off-putting to send an email to let them know you are closing, just my opinion.
Christian Mother 05:22 PM 10-04-2011
I would just tell her on Fri. at pick up that you've decided to not do daycare anymore and as of Nov. she will need to find alternative care and then hand her the term. letter. She might be shocked and upset but i think approaching her first will at least get the surprise out of the way. A email i think will bit you in the bum. You might not find the twins the following day or week. But if you bring it up to her face to face and be honest (as much as you can) I think she will appreciate that and keep the kids there til Nov. If not then well what do you have to loss. You already said you understand she might pull the kids after finding out but your ok with that. I understand you don't want confrontation but it's going to come no matter how you term. I'd say term in person and then hand her the term. letter short and sweet.
Unregistered 06:23 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Is there a reason you don't want to tell her in person? After providing care for someone, it seems pretty impersonal and a little off-putting to send an email to let them know you are closing, just my opinion.
I just want to have it in writing. I could write out the letter, hand it to her and tell her at the same time.

This mom tends to be kind of flighty with anything I tell her in person. I tend to have to follow up with an email or a text message to make sure she remembers/understands what we talked about. If I don't, it gets turned around a completely different way or changed to suit their needs at the moment. I think it's a combination of her mind being elsewhere and just not really listening. It took three weeks to get her remember to bring something pretty important for the twins, despite daily reminders at pickup time.

I see what you are saying though, and I think I'll type it up but tell her in person. I just want to make sure that the details aren't forgotten or changed to her needs.

I'm not positive that she'll pull out, but she came to me with bad comments about her last caregiver. As soon as I agreed to watch the twins and we signed the contract, she basically paid the 2 weeks she had to give the former caregiver and suddenly "needed" me right away. I wasn't expecting them so soon, but we made it work. She made it seem like she felt the last caregiver would treat her children badly because she'd given notice, but there have been a lot of things that haven't added up with what she's told me about the last caregiver and a mutual business associate of mine. I think she has a flair for drama and is willing to lie to make things go her way.
Tags:termination letter
Reply Up