Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rant: Getting baby on schedule
midaycare 05:54 AM 09-15-2014
All I've heard is how dcb, 4 months, needs to be on a schedule. Longer naps, less and less naps. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. Dcm is great, but she is stressed.

Well dcm doesn't keep to a schedule. Sometimes dcb is dropped off at 8:00, sometimes 10:00, once last week 1:15 pm! I can't get him on any type of schedule that way. I can't even attempt it. I told dcm and dcd that if they want a schedule, they need to stick to one drop off time and work with me. Yes, yes, they said, they totally agree.

So today dcb is supposed to be dropped off at 7:30, his normal time. A text from dcm this morning reads, "I will be dropping dcb off between 11:00-11:30 today, because he is so cuddly."

Okay...well don't ask me for any type of schedule then!!!
CraftyMom 06:18 AM 09-15-2014
Make it clear to them that if they want a schedule from you then you (and the baby) need a set schedule from them.
midaycare 06:23 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Make it clear to them that if they want a schedule from you then you (and the baby) need a set schedule from them.
This is exactly what I told them last week, and they all agreed. So ... Not sure what they want now. Because I'm not going to work very hard on a schedule, that's for sure!
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 09-15-2014
Is his lack of schedule at your house becoming too much to manage while caring for the other kids?

If so, tell mom. If she feels she may be in jeopardy of losing her space due to lack of schedule, she may be more inclined to start sticking to it.

If baby is disrupting nap or lunch or whatever activity you have going on, then call her for pick up.

People RARELY change their behavior until it becomes an issue for them.
It sounds like baby's schedule (or lack of one) is only your issue right now.

I know you said mom is stressed but most new mom's are and the sooner she gets HER child on a schedule and follows through with sticking to it, the less stressed her life will be.
hope 06:58 AM 09-15-2014
Her stress is not your problem. If she is insisting on a schedule she needs to put in the work. Sit dcm down and tell her that she needs to follow a schedule and that you can not do your job unless she does hers. Parents like this feel like they can feed their kids junk but want you to fix their picky eater. They put the kids in front of the TV all day and want you to get them ready for kindergarten. Don't stress yourself out over this.
midaycare 08:24 AM 09-15-2014
I am totally fine with dcm bringing dcb late. It makes my day easier. Much easier. I just don't want to hear a word about a schedule now, you know?
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I am totally fine with dcm bringing dcb late. It makes my day easier. Much easier. I just don't want to hear a word about a schedule now, you know?
Every time the word "Schedule" is used...

Drink!

No, just kidding!!!

Every time mom says the word schedule, just reply "When you do get him on a schedule, just let me know. I can't do anything until YOU have done it first and have stuck with it for more than 30 days."

Them smile and leave it be.

This is HER issue until it starts to be MORE your problem then it is hers and when that happens, you'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it.
melilley 10:39 AM 09-15-2014
Oh geez.

Just like "no more pacifier", but then one day they come in with one.
He's totally potty trained, apparently, only at home.
They can't have this or that, then you see them with this or that.

I like BC's advice..drink...lol No, tell them when they decide to get him on a schedule, so will you.
Shell 10:41 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Yes! The thing is, if she is dropping off at 1 or so, she needs to let you know that baby napped from say 8 to 10, just had a bottle, and needs to go down ASAP, or something. She can't expect you to make a schedule when the child is coming and going at various times. She has to start it at home, and you can follow the lead. I have one that sometimes comes right at opening, sometimes 2 hours later, but he's older now, and I can read his cues (dcm is always off on when he needs to eat and sleep). And, I totally understand how much easier it is when they get dropped off later! She needs to start a routine, not you. It's much like what pp said- she wants you to do the work she should be doing- sorry, dcm, not happening!
midaycare 11:00 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Yes! The thing is, if she is dropping off at 1 or so, she needs to let you know that baby napped from say 8 to 10, just had a bottle, and needs to go down ASAP, or something. She can't expect you to make a schedule when the child is coming and going at various times. She has to start it at home, and you can follow the lead. I have one that sometimes comes right at opening, sometimes 2 hours later, but he's older now, and I can read his cues (dcm is always off on when he needs to eat and sleep). And, I totally understand how much easier it is when they get dropped off later! She needs to start a routine, not you. It's much like what pp said- she wants you to do the work she should be doing- sorry, dcm, not happening!
Yeah ... I'm only a parent to ds. I have no interest in doing all the hard work for someone else. I'm so glad I have this forum. I would have been such a pushover without it.
Reply Up