Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Calls During Quiet Time
Play Care 09:59 AM 01-09-2013
I have a parent who feels quiet time is the perfect time to call me to chat about her child's day. I have tried dropping hints (okay more like bombshells) that it's not a good time. I finally stopped answering the phone. When she comes to pick up I will say something like "I saw you called but I was rocking the baby and couldn't make it" or something similar. On one hand I don't want to upset the parent (who is a very good client with a very good child) but quiet time just isn't a good time - it's not really a total "break" for me, and if I do get a few minutes to put my feet up the last thing I want to do is chat on the phone - with anyone!

I'm thinking I'll stick to "it's not a good time" I just hope she gets it...
Heidi 10:16 AM 01-09-2013
How long is your nap time? If it's 3 hours like mine, I don't think that it's unreasonable for parents to call you. If it's an hour you need of peace, then put up a sign.

"Dear Parents: Effective immediately, I will consider 12-1pm my lunch period, and will not be accepting phone calls or attend to other business during that time. Your children, of course, will continue to have any needs they have met during this time! Thanks for understanding..... DCP "

You might try to find out when this particular parent has lunch, so that you don't "schedule" you time during the same time.

If you think the sign or note is hokey, just tell that parent the same thing. "Hey, I love that you are checking up on dcg, could you just NOT call during 12-1? I'm sure you understand that I need a break!"
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 01-09-2013
How about the direct approach?

"Sally, I know you are interested in hearing about your child's day and I respect that but in all honesty my lunch hour is just not a good time for me to talk on the phone."

Then if necessary explain why. You are rocking a baby, cleaning up from lunch, enjoying a rare quiet moment yourself....whatever....

I am guessing that she calls then because it is a good time for HER. It is probably her lunch period where she is able to chat. A lot of parents equate their lunch time as "off" time and so that applies to you as well in their eyes.

I always prefer the direct approach. Beats having to play passive aggressive for days on end and then dealing with the frustration that comes from them not picking up the hints or clues you threw out....kwim?
Willow 10:32 AM 01-09-2013
I wouldn't answer, and I wouldn't say anything about it at pick up unless asked.

You've obviously made it clear multiple times that nap time is a bad time for phone calls and she should respect that.

I have it right in my handbook that I prefer texts, but that I'll get to them when I have a free chance. I go into detail about how phone calls wake sleepy children and that can disrupt the entire rest of the day so outside of emergencies they are strongly discouraged. Perhaps that may be an option for her, to text you?
Play Care 10:40 AM 01-09-2013
My quiet time is tops 2 hours - today was an hour. And of that time most is spent cleaning up from lunch, paperwork, preparing things for the PM, checking on the kids. I won't say I don't get any "break" but it's not as if I'm on break the whole time. I also send home a daily sheet every day for each child. This has every detail of the child's day and I try to include at least something funny or cute that each child did or said. I honestly see no reason why she needs to call every day. I am going to be direct and see if that works.
Play Care 10:44 AM 01-09-2013
Texting might work - these parents are older though and while they have basic cells I don't know if they are "texters"
wdmmom 11:20 AM 01-09-2013
The way I see it, you could approach this several different ways:

1. Do as previously suggested and take a designated lunch break.

2. Tell parents that while you would love to chat, conferences need to be by appointment only.

3. Tell parents that phone calls during nap are burdensome and waking kids up. To be proactive, correspondence between 12pm and 3pm should be via text or email to promote a more restful sleep, unless, of course, it's an emergency.

Hopefully they'll get the hint.
lovemykidstoo 12:08 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
My quiet time is tops 2 hours - today was an hour. And of that time most is spent cleaning up from lunch, paperwork, preparing things for the PM, checking on the kids. I won't say I don't get any "break" but it's not as if I'm on break the whole time. I also send home a daily sheet every day for each child. This has every detail of the child's day and I try to include at least something funny or cute that each child did or said. I honestly see no reason why she needs to call every day. I am going to be direct and see if that works.
I've had this mother. When I started her son, she called every single day and asked the same exact question. How is his day, answer...fine. Then I got where I just didn't answer and a couple of times she said she had called and I told her that I was busy and didn't get to the phone and she stopped calling. If you dont' want to say anything directly (sometimes that is hard), then simply don't answer and if she asks tell her you were in the middle of other things. She'll get it after awhile if you don't answer. Is there any particular reason why she calls everyday? Is there a problem with her child?

I just reread your initial post. if you've given her "bombshells" and she still calls then for sure just stop answering. Sounds like you haven't beat around the bush with her.
daycarediva 12:13 PM 01-09-2013
I shoot my 'concerned' dcms a quick email during naptime. A few lines about their child seems to satisfy them, and I can do it while eating my lunch. Maybe that could be an option?
Play Care 12:17 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I've had this mother. When I started her son, she called every single day and asked the same exact question. How is his day, answer...fine. Then I got where I just didn't answer and a couple of times she said she had called and I told her that I was busy and didn't get to the phone and she stopped calling. If you dont' want to say anything directly (sometimes that is hard), then simply don't answer and if she asks tell her you were in the middle of other things. She'll get it after awhile if you don't answer. Is there any particular reason why she calls everyday? Is there a problem with her child?
That's just it, there isn't! The child is sweet and mom is (mostly lol) I think she has some downtime and wants to check in. I will say the family is *very* close to their last provider (retired) and is still in contact with her. They also called to chat everyday. I believe that they had developed more of a friendship with her so for the provider it was probably a nice adult conversation!
lovemykidstoo 12:26 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
That's just it, there isn't! The child is sweet and mom is (mostly lol) I think she has some downtime and wants to check in. I will say the family is *very* close to their last provider (retired) and is still in contact with her. They also called to chat everyday. I believe that they had developed more of a friendship with her so for the provider it was probably a nice adult conversation!
Well maybe you could answer once a week then just to give her some comfort and the rest of the days don't answer. HOw long has she been coming?
Tags:interruptions, parent - interruptions, parents - don't cooperate, quiet time
Reply Up