Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Fire
Christina72684 12:11 PM 03-04-2014
A daycare about half an hour away had a terrible fire this morning. The DC opens at 5am and the fire happened around 6:30am. There was the DC owner and 6 kids there at the time. A child around 1yr old died in the fire while sleeping in a pack-n-play.

I cannot even IMAGINE what everyone involved is going through....the DC provider and her family, the families involved, the kids that were there, the fire fighters that found the child, etc.

So many people are scrutinizing the daycare saying how she had too many kids, when they have no clue what they are talking about! We practice fire drills here monthly, but I still don't think we could ever be prepared enough if something like that happened. Some days we have 12 kids here and 6 of them don't walk with 2 employees. What would they do if there was a fire? Which kids do you grab first? How would the kids react?

We have about 2-3" of snow and some ice outside. It was probably near 0 out at that time in the morning and dark out. I bet everyone was terrified! I know I would be
CraftyMom 12:14 PM 03-04-2014
So sad! And eye opening that it could happen at any time
Heidi 12:17 PM 03-04-2014
oh dear! That is so sad!

I worry about it occasionally, too. At nap time, I have 4 kiddos in 4 different rooms. 3 walk, but at 15m, 15m, and 2 1/2, I don't know that this would help. Of course, when I practice fire drills, it's when they're awake and all in one room. I can't really wake them up to do it. We do have smoke detectors in every room, and they are interconnected.

One illegal provider here had (finally shut down) TWELVE children by herself (and I watched 6 more get off the school bus as I drove out). Can you imagine? Quite a few of them where pre-walkers, too!
melilley 12:28 PM 03-04-2014
How sad. I feel for the families and provider.

We had a house fire 2 years ago. I didn't have the dc at the time, but I had 3 kids here and it happened at night. Dh was sleeping and the kids and I were about to watch a movie when I saw flames outside (we had a shed attached to the house, it was an electrical fire from an outlet in the shed). I woke my dh up thankfully we all got outside. I have to say that embarrassingly, when the fire first started, the kids didn't realize what was going on and just sat on the couch and I didn't really think about yelling at them to get out-it was outside, but attached to the house and to this day I yell at myself about not yelling at them to get out. But the smoke detectors never went off either. The fire spread so fast.

As for people scrutinizing the dc provider, who knows what went on. When something like that happens, for some people, no matter how many times you practice, you're never fully prepared. And fires spread very fast. I can have 6 kids here and like you said, how do you know where or who to go to first, so many factors to consider.
lovemykidstoo 12:42 PM 03-04-2014
Oh my heart goes out to everyone. That is horrendous. You never know how you will react. Depends on where the fire is, where the kids are, if the kids all freak out and run in different directions etc. That is just horrible. I think if I had to, I would just toss kids out the windows (first floor of course) if I couldn't carry them all. Better to be tossed into a snowbank then left hoping I can get back to them. Prayers sent out.
daycare 12:47 PM 03-04-2014
my husband was/is a firefighter. he makes my staff and I practice once a month different types of situations, but he says that it will never be the same exact situation, so we just have to learn to do what we can the best we can. NO matter what we do, if we can't save them all no fault to us, we will be put down for it.

accidents happen out of our control. we can do everything in our power to stop them, but not every situation is preventable.

every week I check my gas, furnace, burners, stove pilot etc, but something can still go wrong.

this is so sad and i feel for this provider
SilverSabre25 01:00 PM 03-04-2014
My heart goes out to everyone involved.

A long time ago I was thinking it over and came to the sobering conclusion that, at the time when my DS was a baby and not walking, that if a fire broke out I would probably save all the dcks first and come back for DS. Let's face it. The news wouldn't care if a provider's OWN child was injured or killed, but you'll be lambasted by everyone in the city if a dck gets injured or killed--especially if you saved your own child first.

It makes me tear up thinking about it even now, but my feelings are the same. And I pray with all my heart that I never have to act on that.
angiescott 01:03 PM 03-04-2014
Oh my goodness, where was this at? I'm in Indiana also.
TwinKristi 01:12 PM 03-07-2014
Sorry, I was just trying to clarify and I guess I read too fast on the first sentence and misunderstood what she meant. My bad. I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, I was truly curious as I really don't know anyone who risk their own life for a cat but I guess I just know mostly moms. It's just a different world than those without kids and I often forget some people truly view animals as children and would give their life for them.
Tags:28 day cycle, death, emergency preparedness plan, evacuation crib, fire alarm, fire drills, fire evacuation plan, smoke detector
Reply Up