Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Yr Old Choked Over The Weekend...
MamaBear 08:34 PM 09-03-2013
This morning at drop off, my 2 year old daycare girl's mom tells me that on Sunday at a restaurant the girl choked on a piece of food and the mom freaked out and didnt know what to do. She turned blue and fell down. The 18 year old busser came over, whacked the toddlers back and the food came out.

The mom tells me this and then says that since then, she'd been coughing a little. That was an understatement... She was coughing all day but it almost sounded like a gagging sound. When she ate lunch, every time she'd try to swallow her food or drink, she'd look like she was gagging or about to throw up. I had the mom pick her up early because it was worrying me. I felt she should get her throat checked out.

The mom said she thinks she just got a sore throat from it and would wait it out to see if it improves before she takes her to the dr. I advised her to take her tonight or tomorrow because I feel like something wasn't right. What do you guys think? Maybe it just scratched her throat a bit? Do you think its anything to worry about? I also told the mom she seriously needs to sign up for a CPR class! lol
Michael 09:20 PM 09-03-2013
The poor thing, how traumatic. She probably has a score throat and has a hard time swallowing anything now . Seeing her mother not knowing what to do must have exacerbated the situation. The mother should take a cpr, first-aid course.
nanglgrl 09:28 PM 09-03-2013
I'm no doctor (not even close) unless you are 2 and think I can fix everything with a kiss and silly band aid but my first thought was that maybe the child aspirated a piece of food into her lungs when she was choking. This could cause the symptoms and can cause pneumonia, infection and worse. I would not take her back into care until she's seen by her doctor (and you have a note) and I would inform mom about how serious this could be.
Cradle2crayons 09:32 PM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I'm no doctor (not even close) unless you are 2 and think I can fix everything with a kiss and silly band aid but my first thought was that maybe the child aspirated a piece of food into her lungs when she was choking. This could cause the symptoms and can cause pneumonia, infection and worse. I would not take her back into care until she's seen by her doctor (and you have a note) and I would inform mom about how serious this could be.

This here. This may be nothing at all but most people do not report throat soreness after choking. Nor does gagging etc generally occur afterwards either. And neither does a cough.

This is extremely worrisome that she has aspirated something. Aspiration pneumonia can be fatal.

I'd exclude until the child has been taken to the doctor and had an X-ray done to be sure more food isn't stuck in the esophagus or she hasn't aspirated into her lungs. And I'd do more than ask mom. I'd INSIST.
Meyou 01:32 AM 09-04-2013
My first thought was aspiration too. But I did choke on a smartie when I was little and my throat was bruised for a week. I remember how much it hurt eating and swallowing.
Play Care 03:03 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

This here. This may be nothing at all but most people do not report throat soreness after choking. Nor does gagging etc generally occur afterwards either. And neither does a cough.

This is extremely worrisome that she has aspirated something. Aspiration pneumonia can be fatal.

I'd exclude until the child has been taken to the doctor and had an X-ray done to be sure more food isn't stuck in the esophagus or she hasn't aspirated into her lungs. And I'd do more than ask mom. I'd INSIST.

This also doesn't sound like it was a minor choking incident - the fact she turned blue would have had me going to the ER that very night to have her checked out
daycarediva 03:19 AM 09-04-2013
Not minor at all, dr note or I would NOT admit back.

My dcg had a drowning scare in the beginning of summer, she went under water at the 4th of July party and her bubble came off, nobody noticed for a minute or so, and her uncle jumped in, saved her and they had to do mouth to mouth, she was awake, alert and breathing on her own when the ambulance came. The hospital cleared her the same day and sent her home and Mom kept her home the following day. CRAZY SCARY.
daycarediva 03:20 AM 09-04-2013
Should have added; dcg had a froggy voice for over a week from the trauma of it, and a cough and was on antibiotics to prevent pneumonia.
Play Care 03:26 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Not minor at all, dr note or I would NOT admit back.

My dcg had a drowning scare in the beginning of summer, she went under water at the 4th of July party and her bubble came off, nobody noticed for a minute or so, and her uncle jumped in, saved her and they had to do mouth to mouth, she was awake, alert and breathing on her own when the ambulance came. The hospital cleared her the same day and sent her home and Mom kept her home the following day. CRAZY SCARY.
OMG!!!
Thank Goodness she was okay!!!!

On a side note, I am appalled at the number of parents who think because the child has a "floatie" they can sit by the pool reading or chatting while the kids swim.
JenNJ 04:55 AM 09-04-2013
I would insist on a Dr visit and not allow her back into care without a note saying she had been seen and that it was typical.
kimmills 05:12 AM 09-04-2013
What a horrible experience for the poor girl. Glad she got help in time. She definitely needs to see a doctor. The choking might have happened probably because she already had problem with her throat. Can't and shouldn't take these things lightly. Insist on the mother showing you a letter from the doctor saying she was checked. It's big responsibility.
MyAngels 05:30 AM 09-04-2013
She needs to have a doctor's note. If her mom won't take her to the doc then she needs to take responsibility for that and keep her home until she's completely back to normal.
MotherNature 05:38 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This also doesn't sound like it was a minor choking incident - the fact she turned blue would have had me going to the ER that very night to have her checked out
Exactly. Yeah, I'd definitely exclude until they see a doctor. Poor thing.
SilverSabre25 05:51 AM 09-04-2013
For a serious choking incident (like that one! Blue and falling over? That's bad. Thank god for that busser) the standard is to go straight to the hospital to be checked out. After a choking incident the airway can still swell due to the trauma, and children's airways are so small that it's of huge concern. That and the aspiration risk....well, you should call for pick up and insist mom take her in like, immediately.
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 09-04-2013
wow that sounds so awful. thank God for that teen there! I dont understand why mom didnt even try to help her child. for goodness sakes, she was turning blue! I guess some people really panic in an emergency. but i agree with the others. insist on a doctors visit!
countrymom 06:05 AM 09-04-2013
thats crazy. Good for you sending her home, she needs to be seen by a doctor just in case. What did the mom give her that she was choking.
Hunni Bee 06:57 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
wow that sounds so awful. thank God for that teen there! I dont understand why mom didnt even try to help her child. for goodness sakes, she was turning blue! I guess some people really panic in an emergency. but i agree with the others. insist on a doctors visit!
My sister is like that. When my nephew was a baby, he gagged/choked a lot. She'd just stand there flapping her hands and screaming. We always had to help him because she'd be totally useless. Even now if he throws up or something she panics and can't help him.
MamaBear 07:37 AM 09-04-2013
So the mom reluctantly kept her home today.

I had googled some info last night and had emailed her late telling her that she needs to get checked out before she returns. It was too worrisome for me to see her gagging like that and I am afraid that she might have a aspirated something into her lungs or scratched her trachea... or whatever it could be.

She text me this morning and I could tell she was annoyed. It just said that she was keeping her home and going to try to get her to the dr today. Try? I told her she needs to before she returns and about the risk of infection, pneumonia, etc.

She's probably not happy with me... but what the heck? She needs to get it checked and she needs to also sign up for a CPR class asap. That should be a requirement as soon as someone finds out their pregnant! lol
MamaBear 07:38 AM 09-04-2013
By the way - I asked the mom if she gave that young busser boy a tip or a hug or something and she said "uh no". Really? I would have been SO thankful to him. Hopefully his boss saw what he did and gave him a bonus or something.
countrymom 08:46 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
By the way - I asked the mom if she gave that young busser boy a tip or a hug or something and she said "uh no". Really? I would have been SO thankful to him. Hopefully his boss saw what he did and gave him a bonus or something.
wow, totally ungrateful!
AcornMama 09:07 AM 09-04-2013
I'm late to this thread, but thought I'd add that when I took my cpr and first aid course this summer, the red cross instructor said that anytime back blows or heimlich (sp?) are used for choking, even if the victim seems fine afterward, they should immediately head to the hospital for evaluation. So I know it's late for you, but for others or in the future, providers can back up their assertion with "The Red Cross recommends that choking victims seek immediate medical evaluation, even if the victim seems fine," or something like that. I figure if we are required to take a first aid course, then it's always okay to insist that parents follow the guidelines we are taught in the first aid course.
Play Care 09:09 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I'm late to this thread, but thought I'd add that when I took my cpr and first aid course this summer, the red cross instructor said that anytime back blows or heimlich (sp?) are used for choking, even if the victim seems fine afterward, they should immediately head to the hospital for evaluation. So I know it's late for you, but for others or in the future, providers can back up their assertion with "The Red Cross recommends that choking victims seek immediate medical evaluation, even if the victim seems fine," or something like that. I figure if we are required to take a first aid course, then it's always okay to insist that parents follow the guidelines we are taught in the first aid course.

Tags:choking
Reply Up