Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this Weird?
cheerfuldom 01:00 PM 07-01-2014
I have a part time toddler (almost 13 months) that is here a two days a week for 8 hours each day. His parents have said he doesn't drink milk during the day anymore (????) and to just give him water during the day in addition to the sack lunch they send. He has breakfast and dinner at home and supposedly drinks his daily milk during that time. Is it weird that they have requested he not drink milk here? For reference, this is regular whole milk and is provided by the parents. In the fall he will be full time. It seems okay to me but I have never had this request before.....
SilverSabre25 01:03 PM 07-01-2014
I don't see a problem with it ::shrug::

There could be a zillion reasons they don't want him drinking milk. If you aren't required to serve it (and it sounds like you might not be) then I wouldn't give it another thought.
SignMeUp 01:04 PM 07-01-2014
Does he have snacks too? (I hope)
One meal in 8 hours does not seem like enough. Milk or no milk
Unregistered 01:04 PM 07-01-2014
i nursed until my little one was 2, but she has never had cow's milk. She was in daycare during all that time, and when I stopped providing pumped breast milk when she was 1, she just drank water. At 3, she only drinks water, diluted juice, and sometimes almond milk if she's in the mood.
MOM OF 4 01:24 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have a part time toddler (almost 13 months) that is here a two days a week for 8 hours each day. His parents have said he doesn't drink milk during the day anymore (????) and to just give him water during the day in addition to the sack lunch they send. He has breakfast and dinner at home and supposedly drinks his daily milk during that time. Is it weird that they have requested he not drink milk here? For reference, this is regular whole milk and is provided by the parents. In the fall he will be full time. It seems okay to me but I have never had this request before.....
In summer, I do not let the kids have much milk, just water. Morning and night only for milk. I don't know if it's weird or not, but my kids get stomach aches when we give them milk in hot weather. As do I.
JenNJ 01:31 PM 07-01-2014
I only serve water here. The kids all drink milk at breakfast and dinner. I also have kiddos with poop issues so I find water helps that along.
KSDC 11:30 AM 07-02-2014
I'm on the food program. Milk is a required component of breakfast and lunch. Whole milk up to age 2, then lowfat milk after that. (I do skim)
melilley 12:01 PM 07-02-2014
I have a parent who also requested the same thing. She says he gets enough milk at home and only wants me to give him water here, it also helps him eat more food rather than just drink milk. I am on the fp so I do give him some milk at breakfast and lunch.
TickleMonster 02:48 PM 07-02-2014
No not weird. He is probably getting enough milk at home and they dont want to over do it, as milk and dairy can cause constipation. I had one little girl about 2 years ago and her mom was the opposite. All she wanted her to have was milk constantly. That poor child was constipated 24/7. I finally talked with dcm and said that she needs more water and juice. Dcm just shrugged her shoulders and didnt reply so I took that as my opening to stop serving her milk here. At first she wasnt happy and was demanding milk but I held firm on the water and within a few days she was drinking it fine. I had her 10 hours 5 days a week so within a week all that water flushed her system out and she was pooping normal for the first time. dcm was all shocked and was like, "oh ummm I guess I should give her water and juice huh?" duh dcm. Yes milk is important but too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.
AmyKidsCo 02:52 PM 07-02-2014
I'm on the food program also so I'd have to offer milk for lunch, plus at least 1 other snack/meal since children can't go more than 3 hours without being offered food. I think that's a licensing reg, not food program...
Meyou 01:18 AM 07-03-2014
I don't think it's weird. I rarely serve cow's milk here to daycare kids. Most kids get more than enough dairy at home. I serve water most of the time and almond/coconut milk a couple of times per week.
Little Buttons 05:26 AM 07-03-2014
Is the toddler still breastfeeding? My 18 month old is still nursing and he only drinks water with his meals and during the day. I actually think it is kind of refreshing to see a parent who does not want to overdue it with the milk for a change :-\ The little boy I have according to his parents goes through half a gallon of milk a day and because it is "healthy" they think it is great!?!

If it does not mess with your food program guidelines I would just let it go! Starting the habbit of water with meals at a young age is awesome in my opinion :-)
debbiedoeszip 05:36 AM 07-03-2014
While I don't have anything specific against cows milk, I do think that in this day and age it's quite overrated as a healthy food for children. I don't find it weird at all that his mom wants to limit his intake of it.
Reply Up