Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Forgot To Feed A Baby
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:38 AM 03-02-2015
My sister and I went to dinner with my kids Friday and she was so upset in a pissed off kind of way. My sister has worked at a center since May in hopes of transferring to a medical assistant roll after her 6-months. She took the job because it worked with her college classes and it was her foot in the door at a major medical system here. Well!!!!! This lady we will call J isn't exactly someone you would want taking care of your baby. My sister is in the infant room at particular center and does her job very well. She has been asked to nanny for a few of the doctors on their weekend call schedule. Well this J lady is very very very lazy. She forgets to change babies constantly. My sister said some of the parents are uncomfortable around her because she tells too much personal business.

So moving onto Friday. This particular baby is moving up to the older infant room. The teacher in that room came into my sister room and was like when is the last time this child was fed? Lady J was like umm I'm not sure. The baby was screaming like someone had ripped off her arm and the teacher was trying to figure out what else it could be before calling parents. Well Lady J decided to not give the new room her day sheet because lady J forgot to feed the baby. Apparently she hadn't ate in 5-1/2 hours. Lady J looked at the other teacher and was like I guess I forgot to feed her. You know I do have other babies. That other teacher happens to be the afternoon supervisor.

My sister was mad because this lady J is always forgetting to feed someone or change them. She is lazy and doesn't do her job at all. My sister was also upset with herself because she said she knows that if she would haven't have had to cover in another room that she would have caught it because she looks out for this lady J babies knowing she forgets to feed them.

My sister being 19 is very responsible and takes these babies to heart. My sister feels like this should be an immediate terminate and that lady J openly amitted she couldn't do her job. The state regulation is that a baby must be offered a bottle no longer than every 4-hrs unless it was documented that they were sleeping and then depending on the age we should wake them.

How would you ladies handle this? My sister said these parents are very strict about her day schedule to keep her night routine together. If that teacher hadn't have asked about the day sheet to see when she was last fed who knows how long it would have gone. The director told second teacher to tell parents that it was a miss communication that room A thought room B was feeding her and room B thought A had fed her. The teacher said no she wasn't going to lie about it because she didn't do anything wrong. My sister was in second room and she could hear the teacher and director talking because they have a barn style door where there isn't a top and only a bottom and the director office is right there.
Kabob 11:17 AM 03-02-2015
Just curious if your sister would be required to report Lady J...that sounds like Lady J is breaking regulations and possibly neglecting children. If your sister doesn't report it...I wonder if maybe she would also be in trouble for that baby not getting fed as per the baby's needs and regulations....

Just saying...if it is an ongoing issue, maybe she should report and move on....
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:51 AM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Just curious if your sister would be required to report Lady J...that sounds like Lady J is breaking regulations and possibly neglecting children. If your sister doesn't report it...I wonder if maybe she would also be in trouble for that baby not getting fed as per the baby's needs and regulations....

Just saying...if it is an ongoing issue, maybe she should report and move on....
The supervisor and director knows about it so I'm not sure. My sister is trying to transfer out but so far it has proved difficult but she won't give up. One of the babies she took care of mom is an HR coordinator and she is also trying to help my sister now that her son has moved to another room.

I would imagine that the supervisor would have to write a report about it. I'll ask her this evening when she gets off if she is required to report to licensing directly or just to supervisor/director.
jenboo 11:52 AM 03-02-2015

I would report her as well.
Kabob 12:59 PM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
The supervisor and director knows about it so I'm not sure. My sister is trying to transfer out but so far it has proved difficult but she won't give up. One of the babies she took care of mom is an HR coordinator and she is also trying to help my sister now that her son has moved to another room.

I would imagine that the supervisor would have to write a report about it. I'll ask her this evening when she gets off if she is required to report to licensing directly or just to supervisor/director.
If the supervisor and director know about the situation, then perhaps they need to be reported as well. Not trying to be mean, but if I found out my baby was "forgotten", I'd be furious.

If I were your sister, I'd cover my butt and report...otherwise who knows if I would ever have a career in the medical field as they are mandated reporters too...

I'd want to see an action plan in place to prevent that from ever happening again (ie, more adults in that room, more checks and balances, less babies to Lady J, etc).
jenboo 01:15 PM 03-02-2015
If the supervisor and director know about the situation, then perhaps they need to be reported as well. Not trying to be mean, but if I found out my baby was "forgotten", I'd be furious.

If I were your sister, I'd cover my butt and report...otherwise who knows if I would ever have a career in the medical field as they are mandated reporters too...

I'd want to see an action plan in place to prevent that from ever happening again (ie, more adults in that room, more checks and balances, less babies to Lady J, etc).

If your sister knows about this, she is just as liable as the person doing it.
NightOwl 06:28 AM 03-03-2015
Forgot? BS. She's just lazy and doesn't want to do her job. If you don't report, you could be held liable too. If your director isn't going to report, it's the same thing. She'll be held liable. This lady should be immediately dismissed and reported. If the parents find out the truth, they will make the call themselves and they could also call a lawyer. If your sister makes the report, she would likely be protected from any legal action.
melilley 11:30 AM 03-03-2015
I would tell her to report too. I worked for corporate centers and in the break rooms, they posted a number you could confidentially call to report since we are mandated reporters. I know sometimes directors favor certain people or try to not be the bad guy so she may not do anything about the incident(s).

I could see if this was a one time thing, but if it happens a lot, something needs to be done. It's so hard when you are trying to do your job and someone else isn't.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:28 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
I would tell her to report too. I worked for corporate centers and in the break rooms, they posted a number you could confidentially call to report since we are mandated reporters. I know sometimes directors favor certain people or try to not be the bad guy so she may not do anything about the incident(s).

I could see if this was a one time thing, but if it happens a lot, something needs to be done. It's so hard when you are trying to do your job and someone else isn't.
I just got a text from my sister that they had a "surprised inspection" due to a complaint filed. I shared with my sister what y'all said and she called it in as did the director and supervisor. The employee shockingly is still at work. My sister said they are probably making sure that they do everything legally. So I'm sure more to come.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:33 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Forgot? BS. She's just lazy and doesn't want to do her job. If you don't report, you could be held liable too. If your director isn't going to report, it's the same thing. She'll be held liable. This lady should be immediately dismissed and reported. If the parents find out the truth, they will make the call themselves and they could also call a lawyer. If your sister makes the report, she would likely be protected from any legal action.
She just text me that they had a surprised inspection today. They pulled a few employees and asked questions. My sister said she sang like a bird on the first day of spring. The director is one that doesn't like to make waves but will take action when needed. Apparently they got several calls so she is assuming that she wasn't the only one that called it in.
Tags:absent minded, forgetful
Reply Up