Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your First Inspection??
KEG123 07:34 AM 01-05-2011
Was there anything that surprised you about the inspection, or caught you off guard? Was there anything they did that you were NOT expecting? Something they did not look at, that you thought they would??

And how do they score you? Do they have a checklist and if you get a certain amount of "checks" you pass? Or if you miss so many things you do not pass? Would they then come again at a later time, once everything was "Fixed?"

Can you tell I'm just really getting hyped up about this first inspection?? She'll be here WEDNESDAY at 1:15. Luckily my son will be going down for his name at 1 so we can have uninterrupted time to talk... but yeah, I just want to cover all my bases... make sure everything is well in order, etc.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!
vickis kids 07:57 AM 01-05-2011
Well I'm in Ca. It'd kinda early, I'm not sure if you have already had your inspection, but just make sure you have all the wall outlets covered, even in the bathroom, latches on you drawers, even if theres no knives in them, they will look in common areas, they want to see first aid kits and fire extinguishers (thank you spell check) and will have you demonstrate that your smoke alarm works, those are just the basics, they will look at your home from a toddlers view... like if you say they are not allowed in your bedroom, then there needs to be a gate or knob lock on the door etc.
Hope this helps, good luck!
KEG123 10:07 AM 01-05-2011
My kitchen is going to be off limits to daycare kids, even though about 90% of the cupboards are latched. Wall outlets are covered... although I will need to bring some to the bathroom! I completely spaced that one!!
KEG123 10:39 AM 01-05-2011
Oh yeah, and my inspection is NEXT wednesday, not today wednesday!
laundrymom 10:56 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
My kitchen is going to be off limits to daycare kids, even though about 90% of the cupboards are latched. Wall outlets are covered... although I will need to bring some to the bathroom! I completely spaced that one!!
fyi my perfume was considered a cleaning product and i had to remove it from my bathroom
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 01-05-2011
Where I live, we get a check list of what exactly will be inspected and talked about. My licensor is awesome and the whole visit is relaxed and very comfortable. During her visits we spend alot of time talking about any concerns or problems I may have or things I wish to address and just talking. She is super supportive, always answers the phone and keeps in touch with all the provider's in my area via phone, e-mails and texts if we wish. After reading so many posts about nervous providers in regards to licensure inspections and such, I count my lucky stars to work with such a wonderful licensor.
laundrymom 11:04 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
fyi my perfume was considered a cleaning product and i had to remove it from my bathroom
I have to add, this wasnt an initial insp,.. it was last spring. !!
WImom 11:04 AM 01-05-2011
for Wi (not sure if it's the same where you are) - any product that says keep away from children has to be out of children's reach. Glade plugins, white out, some lotions, etc.

sharp knives have to be ontop of fridge. Not in a latched drawer/cabinet or on top of counter in a knife holder.

if it's a full bath were children will be then we have to have shampoo, razors, etc up high

We have a checklist and it all needs to be met to pass. We get an intial inspection by an advisor and then a final check by a licensor.

Do you have pets? If you do all feeding dishes need to be off the floor (even empty ones) and they can't be in eating areas of the home (ie: Kitchen)
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 01-05-2011
Wow!! What do you wear? Mr. Clean lemon scent or Clorox Bleach? LOL!!!
Little People 11:08 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow!! What do you wear? Mr. Clean lemon scent or Clorox Bleach? LOL!!!
I do Lemon Pledge
KEG123 11:09 AM 01-05-2011
I guess this is another thing that's variable!! haha! Wow... so I have the cabinet locks, where you have to push them to open them... I have them in my bathroom cupboard... and I have lots of lotion and stuff in it. Will she make me take everything out to inspect it all? Hmm. And medicine cabinets? I don't have an actual lock on it but the medicines are all on the top shelf.
KEG123 01:24 PM 01-05-2011
Anything else?? I'm just worried out of my mind that I won't pass for some reason! Next Wednesday seems so soon!
MyAngels 01:30 PM 01-05-2011
The form that they have always used for my home visits follows the Licensing Standards for Daycare Homes. All I ever do is go through the standards to make sure I'm following everything to a T. I mentioned in a previous post about the rep that I had that stayed all day - she surprised me by checking my water temperature with a thermometer. I'd never had anyone do that before, but I was prepared since I'd read through the standards, and checked it before she came.

In the past, when I've had anything that was not up to standards, they gave me a copy of the check list that they use and a date that I had to fix it by. I've only ever had very minor things that were easily cleared by sending in proof that I'd done whatever it was. My last three inspections had 100% compliance, so that may have changed.

Good luck with your visit. I know it's nerve wracking, but they usually are quite nice and helpful, & really want you to pass.
DanceMom 01:31 PM 01-05-2011
I have retaining wall outside that goes to a stone deck on the side of my house - they made me put a fence around the retaining wall because they said kids would fall or or jump off of it.

Also, planters on my deck with flowers in them - had to take them off - they said they would push them to the edge of the deck, climb on top and jump off the deck.

Tall candle holders I have on my fireplace hearth - had to remove them..said they could fall over, break and cut someone.

Thats all I can think of now - but I know there were some that I was like OMG I would have never thought of that....
KEG123 01:36 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
The form that they have always used for my home visits follows the Licensing Standards for Daycare Homes. All I ever do is go through the standards to make sure I'm following everything to a T. I mentioned in a previous post about the rep that I had that stayed all day - she surprised me by checking my water temperature with a thermometer. I'd never had anyone do that before, but I was prepared since I'd read through the standards, and checked it before she came.

In the past, when I've had anything that was not up to standards, they gave me a copy of the check list that they use and a date that I had to fix it by. I've only ever had very minor things that were easily cleared by sending in proof that I'd done whatever it was. My last three inspections had 100% compliance, so that may have changed.

Good luck with your visit. I know it's nerve wracking, but they usually are quite nice and helpful, & really want you to pass.
That kindof eases my mind a bit. That if I didn't do something right they could let me fix it and come back later. I just wouldn't want to waste her time only to have her come back another time, ya know?

But yeah, I've corresponded a lot with my licensing rep over the phone, and finally met her yesterday. She seemed really nice and helpful, which is a plus!
My Daycare 11:14 AM 01-06-2011
During my 1st inspection there was one thing that my rep said I had to fix. My bathroom door locked from the inside, so I had to find the key or change the knob. All I had to do was call her later that day and tell her that it was done. She then put in for my license.
sahm1225 11:50 AM 01-06-2011
I had 2 fire extinguishers (one that was A & B and one that was A & C) and she said it had to be just one extinguisher that did A,B,C, so I went out and bought one and mailed her the receipt.

I had a packet of all of the documents that I had sent to them for licensing and she reviewed to make sure she had them all. They will also ask to see your actual First Aid and CPR card.

Good luck in your inspection!
Missani 07:06 PM 01-06-2011
The big one that I did not think of was cords. Obviously, I tucked away or secured most of the cords, but there were a few I didn't think of. For example, I have a laptop. She said all of the laptop cords had to be bundled together and tucked away. Not sure how I was supposed to use the laptop with no cord movement (only not plugged in I guess), but I used velcro to secure it so I can remove it to use the computer and tie it back up again. I also had a CD player on a shelf with the cord hanging down, extra secured, and tucked behind a large shelf. She said a kid could pull it down on themselves, which they could, so I had to secure the cord to the wall.

Also, the bathroom key for a door that locked from the inside so it could be opened from the outside. I had to install new exterior locks on my home because they locked with a key (that we kept in the door at all times) from the inside and that was not allowed. I also had to build (could have bought) gates for the BOTTOM of my deck stairs. I had them on top but had to have them for the bottom, too, so kids couldn't climb up and fall on the stairs. The other weird one was that the door to the garage had to self close so I had to put a new hinge on it. All of these things were required by my state and I had a list, so I knew in advance.

My licensor inspected all rooms of my home (daycare or not) and looked in every drawer and closet. I don't think they all do this. Because my son's room had "chemicals" (diaper cream in a drawer) and my other son's room had fish food in a top drawer, I had to install child proof handles on the door so the kids could not get in. Again, these were areas NOT used for daycare (my daycare is on a separate level of the home.)

My licensor was really nice and very constructive. She came out twice, once to look around and give feedback and once to see if corrections had been made. I didn't have much I needed to do, which was really nice. I was really worried, too, but I shouldn't have been. Good luck!
Missani 07:09 PM 01-06-2011
Oh, and lock up that toothpaste! That's a common one that I hear providers talk about. I realize it's a chemical, but I think a lot of people forget that one. My mom said, "Oh so daycare providers can't brush their teeth?" Eww!
Keri'sKids 02:44 PM 01-10-2011
I have to add, this wasnt an initial insp,.. it was last spring. !!
Anything we want out, like perfume, we keep in the master bathroom lock the master bath as well as the master bedroom. every room has a door on it even if it is a glass door that is not used for DC. I keep the key in my pocket. It works great.
KEG123 05:15 PM 01-10-2011
Wow so I need locks on all rooms not in use? Hmm... I plan to have the non kid areas baby gated off. Is that not enough??

And man, I will be very upset if she tries to inspect drawers and closets not in use by the daycare (like, my bedroom for example). I might have to tell her to leave. That level of invasion of privacy is ridiculous.
Gurdy 05:35 PM 01-10-2011
So, your inspection day is getting close! Don't be nervous they are usually really helpful and nice- that was a big surprise to me. I envisioned someone coming in to my home and just looking for flaws and trying to find a reason to not give me a license. It was just the opposite, they just want to help you in my experience. Good luck, relax, and don't worry, you will do fine.
KEG123 05:57 PM 01-10-2011
Yep, tomorrow food program lady comes and Wednesday is the inspection. I'm really really nervous! It's like, taking a test or something. Eek!
Crystal 07:00 PM 01-10-2011
RELAX.

Then review this:

http://www.state.il.us/DCFS/docs/summgroup.pdf

Check yourself. Make any corrections.

And then be confident that you WILL pass!
Abigail 09:13 PM 01-10-2011
I'm wishing you good luck on your visits with food program and your licensure. I'm sure you'll do fine!
KEG123 08:14 AM 01-11-2011
Thanks everyone!
melskids 08:50 AM 01-11-2011
i just had my first unannounced inspection this morning (since my initial inspection two years ago) and it wasnt that bad. she also did a food program check as well.

the hardest part was trying to talk to her, and entertain/keep an eye on the kiddos at the same time. of course, this would be the time they all decide to act up. needless to say, she was pretty impressed, and i got 100% compliance!!! YIPEE!!!!

(i know all states are different) but she did not look through any drawers. she just made sure everything was locked up that should have been. i do have hook and eye's on my kids doors, so she never even asked to look in there.

this was the first time meeting her, as the old licensor left a few months ago. i was nervous she was going to be mean, but she was really nice.

take a deep breath and pretend she's your best friend. thats how i got through it

good luck and let us know how you make out!!!!
Tags:inspection
Reply Up