Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had To Send My First Sick Kid Home ...
MsLaura529 01:45 PM 09-18-2013
It was only a half hour earlier than what his normal pick-up time would have been, though.

DCM brought DCK in this morning and tells me that he was walking around saying "ow" and pointing to his cheek this morning so they gave him ibuprofen because it seems like he is teething. He's been putting everything in his mouth and drooling a lot, too. So it makes sense he could be getting his 2 year molars in (DCK is 20 months).

He's fine all morning, a little more mellow than usual (I'll take that, he is normally a super active little guy). Wakes up from his nap ok, change his diaper, go to the table for snack and he starts screeching and sobbing. I noticed his cheeks were red and so I felt his face and he felt very warm. I take his temp (underarm) and it was 102.5! I didn't have any parents fill out a medication form so that I wouldn't have to worry about medicine, but I didn't even have any baby Tylenol on hand to give him if I did anyways ... he was sooooo miserable I was wishing I had some. I texted DCM saying that since I know it's teething I'm not making it mandatory for her to come get him, but I didn't have anything to give him. So she left work a half hour early to come get him (yay DCM). She got to the door a half an hour later, and said she has never seen him so miserable before either. He was sitting on my lap on the floor and all the kids were singing songs, trying to get him to stop crying. He was seriously breaking my heart.

Now, after all of that long pointless story because I know you have all been there before anyways so you really didn't need the details ... sorry Question - Do any of you exclude for a teething fever? I told DCM that since it is just teething, it's not something contagious. However, if he's THAT miserable, he probably wouldn't have the best day here. She agreed and said that they would keep me updated on how he is tonight and how he sleeps. Of course, he's not really supposed to be here tomorrow as it is his normally his grandma's day to watch him, but this week his grandma is having some minor surgery and needed tomorrow for rest so he was coming tomorrow. I guess we'll see ...
littlemissmuffet 01:51 PM 09-18-2013
I exclude for fever, diarhea and vomiting NO MATTER WHAT.

A parent or myself can never know for sure what the cause of any of the above symptoms is... so, kids are automatically excluded until symptom-free for 24 hours.
Unregistered 01:53 PM 09-18-2013
Fever for whatever reason is still fever, I exclude
Leigh 01:57 PM 09-18-2013
Pediatricians swear that "teething fevers" are NOT a real thing, and that fevers during teething are purely coincidental. My OWN experience was that my child would run a fever when teeth were popping through. I tell parents, however, when the child's fever is over 100, exactly what my pediatrician said...that fever during teething is caused by something OTHER than teething.
MsLaura529 02:09 PM 09-18-2013
Thank you ladies. This one is my own fault, and I would feel funny taking back what I told her ... but I will know for next time.
SSWonders 02:10 PM 09-18-2013
He wouldn't have a temp of 102 with teething. Maybe 99/100. But if it's that high something else is going on. And yes, for a temp of 102 I would exclude him until the temp is gone without the use of tylenol/ibuprofen. Since he was pointing at his cheek it could also be ears.
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Pediatricians swear that "teething fevers" are NOT a real thing, and that fevers during teething are purely coincidental. My OWN experience was that my child would run a fever when teeth were popping through. I tell parents, however, when the child's fever is over 100, exactly what my pediatrician said...that fever during teething is caused by something OTHER than teething.
Plus, even if teething did cause fevers, how would someone KNOW that it WAS only teething?

I just exclude. That way, none of it is on me. Fever=stay home until fever free.

Easy peasy.
MsLaura529 04:09 AM 09-19-2013
He's staying home anyways. DCM took him to the dr last night to get his ears checked and his ears were fine. So she sent me a text that they would be keeping him home today and depending on how today goes, then tomorrow as well.
Familycare71 06:19 AM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
He wouldn't have a temp of 102 with teething. Maybe 99/100. But if it's that high something else is going on. And yes, for a temp of 102 I would exclude him until the temp is gone without the use of tylenol/ibuprofen. Since he was pointing at his cheek it could also be ears.

JoseyJo 09:26 AM 09-19-2013
My ped said that teething can cause SLIGHT fevers, but never over 100 (or 101 under arm). That is our exclude limit anyway so it works out great

ANY FEVER over 100 is exclusion for 24 hours - if they come back after 24 and spike again it becomes 48 hours (because I suspect a dope and drop, but what I say is "with a fever that is coming and going like this the only way to be sure it is gone is to exclude for 48 hours FEVER FREE. Get lots of rest DCK and get well soon, we will miss you! See you XXXday!")
craftymissbeth 10:26 AM 09-19-2013
I exclude for all fevers over 100 under the arm... simply because you don't know it's teething... You're just assuming that it is based on other factors.
Cradle2crayons 05:39 PM 09-19-2013
This exactly,

I don't exclude unless they have a temp over 100.5.

In my experience, shots and teething do cause some looser than normal stools and also a very low fever.

An underarm fever that's 102.5 would mean that orally it would have been closer to 103. Not teething in my experience. That would be a 24 hour exclusion for my daycare.
Tags:fever - policy, fever from teething, infectious teething, sick policy, teething
Reply Up