Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clogged Toilet
ihop 11:26 AM 06-03-2014
Yesterday the toilet was draining slowly and I was in a hurry so I ignored it. By the afternoon it was not draining at all. I've tried hours of plunging, hot water, bleach, dish soap, aguar. Everything. I don't feel a clog but I suspect someone threw a paper towel in there by accident and flushed it. I watch everyone in the bathroom so I know its not a toy or anything.
I even put one of my super tough paper towels in hot soapy water last night to see how long it took to break down....it hasn't broken down at all.

I am at a loss. I know I can take the toilet off the floor to check but I didn't feel a clog with the aguar. I cannot afford a plumber but im starting to feel like I have no choice.

Any advice? Any at all? Tia.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 06-03-2014
When you say aguar do you mean an auger or plumbing snake?

If so, how far did you get it to go down?
Annalee 11:34 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
Yesterday the toilet was draining slowly and I was in a hurry so I ignored it. By the afternoon it was not draining at all. I've tried hours of plunging, hot water, bleach, dish soap, aguar. Everything. I don't feel a clog but I suspect someone threw a paper towel in there by accident and flushed it. I watch everyone in the bathroom so I know its not a toy or anything.
I even put one of my super tough paper towels in hot soapy water last night to see how long it took to break down....it hasn't broken down at all.

I am at a loss. I know I can take the toilet off the floor to check but I didn't feel a clog with the aguar. I cannot afford a plumber but im starting to feel like I have no choice.

I know the toilet issue isn't funny, but you brought to my mind an old story where one of my dcb3 at the time kept saying he didn't put anything in the toilet. Well, my brother was taking the toilet outside and when he did, he looked at the dcb3 and said "what'd you put in there, boy?" and the dcb3 ducked his head and said "a cup"....( it was a dixie drinking cup). It was funny cause dcb3 would not answer mom and I. When my brother got the toilet outside, he emptied it good but stuff went all over him when he plunged it good!
ihop 11:37 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When you say aguar do you mean an auger or plumbing snake?

If so, how far did you get it to go down?
Yes, auger. Brain and fingers aren't working today. It was a 3 foot one I think. My roommate tried it first and ended up breaking it so I could only thread through the cord part. Not use it like you are supposed to.
ihop 11:40 AM 06-03-2014
This one http://www.lowes.com/pd_100799-319-4...7C1&facetInfo=
BrooklynM 11:45 AM 06-03-2014
Did you try the dish soap method? Squirt a little dish soap in the toilet and then add about half a bucket of hot tap water from waist level so that the weight of the water can move the clog.

Sometimes this works for me!
JenNJ 12:13 PM 06-03-2014
Its not expensive when you know what the problem is. A plumber charged me $75 for snaking two toilets last year. Much less expensive than if you let it go and dot backs up...
TwinKristi 02:00 PM 06-03-2014
Ugh...we have this problem with our hall (aka Kids') bathroom and it SUCKS!! It overflowed twice this weekend alone! My dh has done everything there is to do since we moved in here... snaked it, removed it, snaked the pipes in the wall... cleaned out the twisty tubes in the toilet... Nothing has worked!!
ihop 07:11 AM 06-04-2014
I ended up taking the toilet off as a last effort before calling the plumber. Toilet was clear but there was water backed up in the pipe. I plunged the pipe for a while and bam clear!

Toilet is working and the trash is on the other side of the bathroom. No more paper towels going in on accident ever again. Two days of toilet plunging is not something I want to repeat
Renae82 02:52 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:

I feel your pain! About two weeks ago none of my toilets would flush and they started backing up into my bathtubs, it was awful! We called out a plumber, fortunately it was only $160 (money I didn't really have but could have been worse). Turns out someone had been putting a ton of baby wipes down the toilet! Boy was I mad! A snake (available at home depot) would have been useful in most situations but in our case we have a fairly large home and it wouldn't have reached the clog.
Reply Up