Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broken TV
CraftyMom 09:19 AM 03-11-2015
Part time dcb walks into my living room ands says "why is your tv off? Is it broken?"

This is the child that I know watches tv all day when he is not here. He just proved it to me
AuntTami 09:23 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Part time dcb walks into my living room ands says "why is your tv off? Is it broken?"

This is the child that I know watches tv all day when he is not here. He just proved it to me
I would have said "yes it is, now go and find some toys to occupy yourself"

Ugh! On even a personal level, I dislike TV. We watch maybe one show a week here, and that's ysually just background noise while they all play with toys! One of my new PT 2yr old DCG's comes in every day asking for "Barbie" on TV. I've given her REAL Barbies to play with, and she just can't quite figure out why Barbie doesn't talk or move like she does on TV!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!? That's the point of a Barbie! To IMAGINE!
CraftyMom 09:27 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I would have said "yes it is, now go and find some toys to occupy yourself"

Ugh! On even a personal level, I dislike TV. We watch maybe one show a week here, and that's ysually just background noise while they all play with toys! One of my new PT 2yr old DCG's comes in every day asking for "Barbie" on TV. I've given her REAL Barbies to play with, and she just can't quite figure out why Barbie doesn't talk or move like she does on TV!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!? That's the point of a Barbie! To IMAGINE!
The other day one dcg brought in a stuffed pony for show and tell. Another dcg 2.5 is checking it out and flipping it over then says "where's the button" I knew what she meant but I said "you mean the belly button?" she says "no the button to push. What does it do?" I told her "It does anything you want it to do, just use your imagination"
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 03-11-2015

I would have said "Nope, I turned it off because you are here"

Personally I love TV (for myself) but don't think it's appropriate for my daycare kids to get it here.
NeedaVaca 09:48 AM 03-11-2015
I hate TV for the kids but I love TV for me I wait until my own kids are in bed each night to watch all my shows My own kids get limited TV time and my DD (11) is really into HGTV so we have been watching Love it or List it and Flip or Flop together which is nice.
Gemma 09:52 AM 03-11-2015

Gemma 09:53 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
my DD (11) is really into HGTV so we have been watching Love it or List it and Flip or Flop together which is nice.
my favorite!!
BabyMonkeys 09:59 AM 03-11-2015
I have a large screen tv in my living room that I never use. I had one of the daycare dads ask me if I saved money by unplugging my electronics. I was confused and he pointed out that my tv was never plugged in. I never knew it wasn't plugged in, seeing as I never tried to turn it on. lol

I have a tv in my room, but for the most part anytime I am watching tv it is on my laptop.
snbauser 10:13 AM 03-11-2015
Don't you love when you snag them on things like that? I had a parent once who asked if we watched tv. I told her no. The most we do is a movie during our winter party. That's it. She said "dcg is going to ask you all the time to watch it but we don't let her at home" She never asked once. And then one day she came in singing "Bob the Builder" and mom asked me if she watched it at my place. Um no.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Don't you love when you snag them on things like that? I had a parent once who asked if we watched tv. I told her no. The most we do is a movie during our winter party. That's it. She said "dcg is going to ask you all the time to watch it but we don't let her at home" She never asked once. And then one day she came in singing "Bob the Builder" and mom asked me if she watched it at my place. Um no.
They usually want to make sure you don't allow a lot of TV watching on your time so that it works to occupy their child on their time.

That DCG proved it to you.
Crazy8 10:52 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I hate TV for the kids but I love TV for me I wait until my own kids are in bed each night to watch all my shows My own kids get limited TV time and my DD (11) is really into HGTV so we have been watching Love it or List it and Flip or Flop together which is nice.
the other night my 2 boys (ages 9 & 11) wouldn't go to bed till they saw the ending of Property Brothers, LOL!!!!

This is why I like having the separate playroom for my daycare… tv is out of sight so out of mind!!!
Controlled Chaos 01:43 PM 03-11-2015
I would never turn on TV during dc hours because I need my 3 kids to be completely sucked into while I am making dinner later lol

And I love when my dh works late, I put the kids to bed early and spend 3 hours binging on my favorite shows and drinking wine. ITS THE BEST

I have two new dcbs who used to watch TV at their former home daycare's house. They don't beg for it here, but they ask about it a confused way from time to time "but its nap time...how will be calm down?" Me: "with books, and blowing goodnight kisses" dcb "oh...ok"
sahm1225 05:34 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I would never turn on TV during dc hours because I need my 3 kids to be completely sucked into while I am making dinner later lol

And I love when my dh works late, I put the kids to bed early and spend 3 hours binging on my favorite shows and drinking wine. ITS THE BEST

I have two new dcbs who used to watch TV at their former home daycare's house. They don't beg for it here, but they ask about it a confused way from time to time "but its nap time...how will be calm down?" Me: "with books, and blowing goodnight kisses" dcb "oh...ok"
I Save TV time for my 3 kids for when I'm making dinner too
spinnymarie 11:26 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
EXACTLY
daycarediva 11:40 AM 03-12-2015
Dh brought a tv from his office (using it as a monitor) and put it in my DINING ROOM with a wii and a TON of old school games. Dcb was the last one here last night by an hour, and we played Mario Brothers(original!) together with him and my own two SA boys. When his Mom picked him up, he said "Did you know Miss **** DOES have a TV?? AND she DOES have video games!? Did you know that Mom?"

When we have movie days once a month or so (planned) it's on my laptop, or I get the projector.
Reply Up