Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Pizza Party...Activity Expense??
victorial 03:53 PM 06-20-2011
When an activity involves food that I am not being reimbursed for by CACFP is the cost deductible as an activity expense?

A few examples: pizza party reward(not at meal/snack time), make your own ice cream activity, edible playdoh activity, field trip to Chinese restaurant for sampling food after doing a curriculum unit on China.
Michael 05:17 PM 06-20-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Victoria!
Candyland 07:11 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by victorial:
When an activity involves food that I am not being reimbursed for by CACFP is the cost deductible as an activity expense?

A few examples: pizza party reward(not at meal/snack time), make your own ice cream activity, edible playdoh activity, field trip to Chinese restaurant for sampling food after doing a curriculum unit on China.
is it possible to send a note home to the parents explaining (well in advance) what you would like to do and perhaps get some help, whether it be donations or $2-3 per kid?
I, as a parent, would appreciate knowing what acitivities you would like to do and what type of help you may need; but I wouldn't appreciate being told at the last minute.
Candyland 07:15 PM 06-20-2011

is it possible to send a note home to the parents explaining (well in advance) what you would like to do and perhaps get some help, whether it be donations or $2-3 per kid?
I, as a parent, would appreciate knowing what acitivities you would like to do and what type of help you may need; but I wouldn't appreciate being told at the last minute.
Here's a possible letter:

Dear Parents,
I would love to do a mini-unit on China and think it would be rewarding for us to sample some Chinese food. If you can help out with any items (egg rolls, chopsticks), or $2 per child. It would be so beneficial.
Thanks so much!
TomCopeland 07:22 PM 06-20-2011

Yes, if food is used as part of an activity, rather than as a meal or snack, then you could deduct it as an activity expense. Another example would be building a gingerbread house for Christmas, using candy canes as an ornament. Save the receipts for these expenses and deduct as an activity expense.
victorial 05:27 AM 06-21-2011
@Michael Thank you very much. I can't believe it's taken so long.

@Candyland Thank you. When I first started and my clients were private pay I did do that. Now all my clients are state funded. They don't have ANY extra money at all. The only time these kids get these types of treats are when I pay for it.

@Tom Thank you for clarifying it all. I knew about using candy in crafts, just didn't connect it to ALL curriculum enrichment food experiences that are not "official" meals. And am I correct in labeling these all activity expenses in MMK?
TomCopeland 08:08 AM 06-21-2011
Yes, list it all as an activity expense in MM.
Tags:new member
Reply Up