Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Boost Your Immunity?!
sahm2three 12:22 PM 09-19-2011
I am a very healthy person, and before starting the daycare, I was very rarely sick, and my kids were very rarely sick. Now, we catch everything that goes around. I sanatize toys, wash door handles, take vitamins, eat healthy, exercise regularly, and on and on. But we all still catch everything! I have been told, after the first year your immunity will go into high gear and it should improve. Not the case so far. I have already had the flu and now have a nasty sinus infection. Any advise?
Christian Mother 01:03 PM 09-19-2011
This might sound dumb but just continuing to wash your hands after every nose wipe or diaper change or lunch, bathroom breaks...everything. I know it seems daunting but it's what saves me from being sick all the time. I try not to touch my face or mouth and if I sneeze or cough I do it with my head tucked to the side in my arm. Before I eat anything I wash my hands. Your doing all the right things by keeping your self healthy just make sure your always washing your hands.
e.j. 01:23 PM 09-19-2011
How long have you been doing child care? I wouldn't expect things to get dramatically better after the first year of doing child care but you probably will see that as the years go by, you get sick less and less. Knock on wood, the most I've had for the last several years has been a mild cold.

I think it helps to get a flu shot every year, although even when I miss mine, I don't seem to catch it as easily as I used to. I use gloves for diaper changes and wash my hands often. I also try to keep my hands away from my face as much as possible.
VTMom 03:32 PM 09-19-2011
I second the handwashing like crazy.

Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep. I always get sick if I am overtired.

Good luck! Let the fun begin (as I say with a wad of kid tissues in my pocket)!
ammama 05:18 PM 09-19-2011
I take supplements - many of them. Garlic, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, vitamin D (5000 units, instead of the recommended 400) and I wash out my nasal cavities with a sea salt water solution, as well as gargle twice a day with salt water. When I actually manage to keep up on this (especially the nasal caviity washing), I DON'T get sick. When I am not doing this, I am sick all the time.
Sprouts 06:25 PM 09-19-2011
I take Vitamin C chewables like 2 500 mg a day or one depending on the season.
sahm2three 08:35 PM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
I take supplements - many of them. Garlic, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, vitamin D (5000 units, instead of the recommended 400) and I wash out my nasal cavities with a sea salt water solution, as well as gargle twice a day with salt water. When I actually manage to keep up on this (especially the nasal caviity washing), I DON'T get sick. When I am not doing this, I am sick all the time.
Great ideas! I am a HUGE hand washer, so that isn't the issue. My hands are always cracking because I wash so much! I have to get my Vit D out and go get some garlic. I have apple cider vin and will have to start that up again! I use essential oils, but haven't been as good about using them lately, until I get sick! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Michael 10:40 PM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I take Vitamin C chewables like 2 500 mg a day or one depending on the season.
Vitamin C and try to keep the stress level down. Stress will beat your immune system down. Deep sleep is also important.
Gigi 01:15 AM 09-20-2011
When I think too much - that's when I get easily sick. What I do that have really worked for me:

1. Vit C 500mg two to three times a day.. I make three to four when I have a slight feeling of the snuffles.
2. Vit B50 - once a day
3. Running 30 minutes a day- around 3 miles. Take it easy when you're just starting. I run in the morning - to get my endorphins going. Endorphins that are released through exercise - also fights stress and boosts your immune system.
4. I do something really relaxing starting at 9pm. The occasional glass of red wine or zinfandel. A long bath or shower. I veer away from the computer and TV when I can. I had to take the TV out of the bedroom for really goodnight's sleep.
Danielle 04:13 AM 09-20-2011
Vit C and Elderberry. For the sinus infection I highly recommend using a netti pot and visiting the chiropractor.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 09-20-2011
A good stress multi-vitamin, plenty of water every day, excersize/fresh air and a solid sleep routine will make you feel like a new woman.
laundrymom 08:07 AM 09-20-2011
Best way? Time. Your body will learn to fight. The first 2-3 years is the hardest.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:18 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
This is exactly what I take every day and i use my netti pot every morning.
Im gonna show this to my hubby who thinks i am nuts for doing all of this, every day!
Squirrel 12:45 PM 09-20-2011
One problem some people have is that they keep things too clean and thereby only get the really bad illnesses. If your house is too clean then your body is constantly fighting off the little stuff and gets hit hard by the hard stuff. I don't do all the sanitizing that you posted in the original post and in no way wash my hands to the point they are cracking apart. I let myself be exposed to everything the kids bring in, exercise, sleep well, and eat healthy and I stay relatively healthy. My daycare kids have had flu, strep, pink eye, etc and I've not caught it from any of them. I catch a cold every so often but usually when I've gone off routine or there's added stress such as drastic weather change that leads to rescheduling activities last minute. I've closed my daycare 2 times because of personal illness and have had many more spontaneous days off because all the kids were out with their own illnesses.
Country Kids 12:50 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by Squirrel:
One problem some people have is that they keep things too clean and thereby only get the really bad illnesses. If your house is too clean then your body is constantly fighting off the little stuff and gets hit hard by the hard stuff. I don't do all the sanitizing that you posted in the original post and in no way wash my hands to the point they are cracking apart. I let myself be exposed to everything the kids bring in, exercise, sleep well, and eat healthy and I stay relatively healthy. My daycare kids have had flu, strep, pink eye, etc and I've not caught it from any of them. I catch a cold every so often but usually when I've gone off routine or there's added stress such as drastic weather change that leads to rescheduling activities last minute. I've closed my daycare 2 times because of personal illness and have had many more spontaneous days off because all the kids were out with their own illnesses.
This is exactly what I was thinking!!! A friend of mine was actually telling me that her doctor said for her not to be washing her hands so much. That it isn't that good for them and we never have a chance to build immunities up to anything. I've actually had more trouble with my hands drying out by using soap than ever using hand s*****er. I find that when I'm super on top of cleaning, sterilizing, disinfecting, that I am more sick than if I just do the basics of cleaning.
Tags:immune system
Reply Up