Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>More On Teething And Meds...
Heidi 01:54 PM 11-23-2011
I didn't want to keep adding to the other thread...

I have a 15mo here today who IS indeed teething. Usually cheerful and full of smiles, but whine-o-matic today! He is cutting 4 new teeth, biting the couch, his hand...poor guy.

Against usual habit, I called mom for an ok to give Tylenol. Guess what? It didn't make a dent.

As is often the case here, Nanny is right.
nannyde 02:27 PM 11-23-2011
I don't give medication here unless I absolutely HAVE to. I've had to do benadryl before and tylenol or advil for a HIGH fever. I can go YEARS in between giving meds.

I do not give meds for teething. The only thing available are also fever reducers. I need to know on a minute to minute basis whether or not the kids in my care are running a fever. Fever is the number one indicator of illness. I can't have it masked.
SilverSabre25 02:54 PM 11-23-2011
ask mom to bring some Hyland's teething tablets. Those things work miracles.
sharlan 03:17 PM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I swear by those things.
familyschoolcare 03:26 PM 11-23-2011
clove oil.

works great.

and it is a food product so no need for formal permission, would just mention if so and so is teething then I will use clove oil on his gums.

Could put it in the contract or handbook.
Christian Mother 04:41 PM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post

Originally Posted by sharlan:
I swear by those things.
This is what I use although I mention it first to parents and ask them to bring some. I have my own but I'd prefer the parents to have their own. My little one is teething to but so far it hasn't gotten really bad. There's been a few bad days but I've only used the teething tablets a couple times. It works like a charm. I hate giving med's though...I have one child who's mom is a teacher she works an hr away he is the one who is most sick here. His immune system is getting a lot better though...for him I would call mom if he was running a temp and give him meds w her permission that only being bc he was my one and only and i could keep him all day if I felt he was ok here. Otherwise if there where others I'd have him picked up to be with mom. So far this winter is going pretty well...thank you Jesus bc I can't afford for illnesses.
sahm2three 04:45 PM 11-23-2011
With parents permission I use Thieves oil (works great). Also, I have a LO who uses an amber necklace and you would never know that they are cutting teeth! Pretty cool!
Danielle 06:15 PM 11-23-2011
I've used amber necklaces for my kids. Daycare baby just started teething and is a bear. Today I sent a necklace home with him so they could try it over the weekend. His mom sent me a text a few hours later thanking me profusely b/c he's a completely new child now.
SilverSabre25 06:21 PM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
I've used amber necklaces for my kids. Daycare baby just started teething and is a bear. Today I sent a necklace home with him so they could try it over the weekend. His mom sent me a text a few hours later thanking me profusely b/c he's a completely new child now.
I have heard amazing things about amber teething necklaces. I really should look into getting one for a certain little one who is not sleeping right now...at least he's cute!
Christian Mother 07:07 PM 11-23-2011
I've never heard of amber necklaces...I need to ck it out!! I looked on line but where do you go to buy yours? I think I might like to try this for one of my teethers!!
cheerfuldom 08:59 PM 11-23-2011
I have heard many moms swear by amber. Check out etsy too. I had one given to me but I am not comfortable putting a necklace on my infant (6 months) so I gave it away. I might be okay with it on an older child and only when they were awake. Also, there is a great variety in amber and I am not sure what makes the best necklaces.

Back to the topic, I don't give medicine at all, not even Tylenol, to the daycare kids. I don't even allow the parents to send any in the bags. I have never had to give any in emergency but I do have some on hand, just in case. Its a super, super last resort though.
Danielle 04:58 AM 11-24-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I've never heard of amber necklaces...I need to ck it out!! I looked on line but where do you go to buy yours? I think I might like to try this for one of my teethers!!
www.inspiredbyfinn.com
Look for safety measures taken when making the necklace. The ones we got from the above website have knots between each bead so if it breaks, there's only one loose bead. The necklace is also made to break when put under a certain amount of pressure. It's also advised to wrap the necklace around the child's ankle and then put a sock on the child when the child sleeps.
Meyou 05:14 AM 11-24-2011
I will give antibiotics with a signed permission slip and the original prescription bottle in my possession. My families often get the prescription divided into two parts so that I can keep my half here with all the relevant information on it. This mostly happens for a DCB who is prone to ear infections and takes the 10 day dose of amoxycilin.

I'll also give camilia teething drops (homeopathic drops). I won't give anything else for teething including tylenol. If they are teething to the point they require pain meds, then they should be home.

I'll give fever reducer only in extreme cases where a child has a very high temp and the parents can't pick them up immediately. Alot of my families have a 25-30 minute commute. I always weight the child first so the dose is accurate.

In almost all cases I believe if the child is ill enough to require any medication at all that they should be home.
C'est la vie. 05:34 AM 11-24-2011
My daughter never had any teething problems. They just popped out without complaint.
My son however.... sheesh. For the most part he's distracted enough at daycare to not mind, but he did try to bite and drooled through anything we could possibly put on him. EW. LOL. But twice I gave him Advil after consulting with his teacher, (actually her asking me to PLEASE give him some) and it made a world of difference. Advil seemed more effective than Tylenol by a long shot. Perhaps because it's also an anti-inflammatory?

The big draw back like Nan says it that it can mask illness so you have to be pretty darn sure it's not another bug causing the discomfort before you give it. I don't think the ladies at daycare on their own could discern that, but with his caregivers and I together we can tell whether or not he's coming down with a bug or teething... plus the throbbing, giant molar half covered by flesh and half popping out of the gums was a good indicator.
nannyde 07:35 AM 11-24-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I will give antibiotics with a signed permission slip and the original prescription bottle in my possession. My families often get the prescription divided into two parts so that I can keep my half here with all the relevant information on it. This mostly happens for a DCB who is prone to ear infections and takes the 10 day dose of amoxycilin.

I'll also give camilia teething drops (homeopathic drops). I won't give anything else for teething including tylenol. If they are teething to the point they require pain meds, then they should be home.

I'll give fever reducer only in extreme cases where a child has a very high temp and the parents can't pick them up immediately. Alot of my families have a 25-30 minute commute. I always weight the child first so the dose is accurate.

In almost all cases I believe if the child is ill enough to require any medication at all that they should be home.
I don't do antibiotics anymore because I only offered them when the order was for four times a day. Most antibiotics are one or two times a day now... before and after child care. If they are three times a day they can do before child care, after child care and at bedtime. This is how my schools do it here so I just do the same.

I don't do antibiotics because they have to be done with food. A lot of parents get providers to do them at daycare because the provider does meals. It doesn't take much food to go with an antibiotic so they can easily do it at home.
Meyou 08:57 AM 11-24-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't do antibiotics anymore because I only offered them when the order was for four times a day. Most antibiotics are one or two times a day now... before and after child care. If they are three times a day they can do before child care, after child care and at bedtime. This is how my schools do it here so I just do the same.

I don't do antibiotics because they have to be done with food. A lot of parents get providers to do them at daycare because the provider does meals. It doesn't take much food to go with an antibiotic so they can easily do it at home.
I only offer it when they're on the 3 dose a day variety which is quite common here. 3 times per day for 10 days is practically standard. They save the super antibiotics for more serious bugs.

I give one dose with lunch and only because most of my kids are here almost 10 hours per day. I prefer that they get their medication at even time periods so it can work most effectively. I'm doing it for them not the parents. A typical schedule is 8am to 530pm so 1 dose at 730 with breakfast, 1 dose at 12:00 with lunch and 1 dose at dinner at 6ish. If the parents gave all 3 doses they would either double up at bedtime or skip one. All of my DCK's are in bed asleep by 8pm so there isn't much of an evening window.
Tags:teething, teething tablets
Reply Up