Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>We Have Entered a Phase
sahm2three 09:34 AM 11-14-2012
We have entered a phase where we can't seem to play with our friends during free play, and there seems to be little to no brains between our ears when we are told something. OMG! They constantly follow me asking what this is and what that is and what are you doing and I constantly say, "Go play toys." "Go play with your friends." So annoying, really! And I am constantly telling them the same things over and over and over. It is the constant repetition that drive me batty. Them repeatedly asking the same questions over and over and me having to tell them the same things over and over. Not like I told them something yesterday and I had to tell them again today. That I expect. What I am saying is stuff like, "Don't stand in the basket." and I take them out of the basket/bin. I turn around and they are back in the basket. These are 2 and 3 year olds that should understand what don't stand in the basket means. I expect to have to redirect 1 year olds all day long, but to have to continually do this with the 2 and 3 year olds is exhausting!!! Today is the first day that we didn't do a project or craft because I was exhausted.

I sometimes feel like they have joined forces to drive me nutso! LOL! I am constantly reminded of the Bill Cosby special when he talks about the kids having brain damage! I believe that! LOL! So, how do you handle these situations?

Oh, one more thing. I have a 1 year old who is an AWFUL biter. He bites many times a day. I try to have him shadow me, but I do have to do other things with the other kids. And he tries to bite me if I am holding him or holding his hand. I have had the occasional biter, but never this bad. I have been having to put him in a pnp or exersaucer while I change diapers or something. I don't know what else to do with him.
Sugar Magnolia 11:26 AM 11-14-2012
Just my opinion, but......Even during "free play", kids need guidance and support from their caregivers. Sometimes they need help selecting an activity, some help getting started and interested in activity, an adult to sit on the floor and play with them. Having a good balance between planned, teacher-led activities and free play is so important. My personal interpretation of free play is child-selected activities that require little or no adult help once they get started. "go play toys, go play with your friends" just seems a bit too open ended for kids this young.
Standing in the basket.....yes, you told them "no", but why not just put the basket up until it is time for its contents to go back in it? From the perspective of a 2 year old, standing in a basket/bin is darn fun, and tempting, regardless of being told no. If there is an empty basket sitting there, its now a car, boat, a house, etc. I put my empty bins up, its that easy, and a lot less stressful and tiring than telling them and lifting then out.
You should seriously consider terming the biter. If this child is biting every day, multiple times a day.....don't you think the parents of the victims are sick of their children coming home bit so often? You will lose clients. I have had 3 bites in 7 years of running a small center, I take ages 12 months and up. I can tell when a bite is imminent and stop it before it happens. You put him in an exerciser or pac n play when you are busy and can't directly supervise him? How does that prevent biting? What if another child touches the exerciser, or puts their hand in the pac n play? How does restraining the child prevent bites? If the biting is so bad you have to restrain the child multiple times a day, you really need to think about terming.
I'm sorry you are annoyed by your kids in care, but asking questions of adults is very normal development. So is sitting in baskets. What you see as "brain damage" or "no brains between their ears" seems like pretty normal activity for 1-3 year olds.
sahm2three 11:40 AM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Just my opinion, but......Even during "free play", kids need guidance and support from their caregivers. Sometimes they need help selecting an activity, some help getting started and interested in activity, an adult to sit on the floor and play with them. Having a good balance between planned, teacher-led activities and free play is so important. My personal interpretation of free play is child-selected activities that require little or no adult help once they get started. "go play toys, go play with your friends" just seems a bit too open ended for kids this young.
Standing in the basket.....yes, you told them "no", but why not just put the basket up until it is time for its contents to go back in it? From the perspective of a 2 year old, standing in a basket/bin is darn fun, and tempting, regardless of being told no. If there is an empty basket sitting there, its now a car, boat, a house, etc. I put my empty bins up, its that easy, and a lot less stressful and tiring than telling them and lifting then out.
You should seriously consider terming the biter. If this child is biting every day, multiple times a day.....don't you think the parents of the victims are sick of their children coming home bit so often? You will lose clients. I have had 3 bites in 7 years of running a small center, I take ages 12 months and up. I can tell when a bite is imminent and stop it before it happens. You put him in an exerciser or pac n play when you are busy and can't directly supervise him? How does that prevent biting? What if another child touches the exerciser, or puts their hand in the pac n play? How does restraining the child prevent bites? If the biting is so bad you have to restrain the child multiple times a day, you really need to think about terming.
I'm sorry you are annoyed by your kids in care, but asking questions of adults is very normal development. So is sitting in baskets. What you see as "brain damage" or "no brains between their ears" seems like pretty normal activity for 1-3 year olds.
It wasn't an empty basket. It was half full of toys. It is not safe for him to do this and has tipped it over many a time because he is constantly climbing into things. I have climbing things available, and have always had the rule of no climbing into the bins/baskets that hold toys. He knows this and would climb in and look at me. I am not dense and know that kids like to climb into and onto things, which is why I make sure I do have things for him to do that on.

I do get them started on something, and then try to sneak away for a bit and they follow me and start asking me constant questions. Kids need to learn to play on their own, and interact with children their age. I shouldn't and won't sit and play all day with kids. I do a lot of activities and crafts with them, and in the free play time, they do need to play on their own. Kids of the age of 2 and 3 should be able to manipulate toys on their own. THAT is what is wrong with kids these days, they expect everything to be done for them.

As for the biter. I am not trying to teach him anything about biting when I remove him from the play area, I am trying to keep everyone safe while I attend to another child or use the bathroom. The PNP and the exersaucer is out of the gated play area. Is that not the sensible thing to do?!

You are very serious. I jokingly said the "brain damage" thing. If you can't have a sense of humor about these things, you might as well hang it up!
countrymom 12:04 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
It wasn't an empty basket. It was half full of toys. It is not safe for him to do this and has tipped it over many a time because he is constantly climbing into things. I have climbing things available, and have always had the rule of no climbing into the bins/baskets that hold toys. He knows this and would climb in and look at me. I am not dense and know that kids like to climb into and onto things, which is why I make sure I do have things for him to do that on.

I do get them started on something, and then try to sneak away for a bit and they follow me and start asking me constant questions. Kids need to learn to play on their own, and interact with children their age. I shouldn't and won't sit and play all day with kids. I do a lot of activities and crafts with them, and in the free play time, they do need to play on their own. Kids of the age of 2 and 3 should be able to manipulate toys on their own. THAT is what is wrong with kids these days, they expect everything to be done for them.

As for the biter. I am not trying to teach him anything about biting when I remove him from the play area, I am trying to keep everyone safe while I attend to another child or use the bathroom. The PNP and the exersaucer is out of the gated play area. Is that not the sensible thing to do?!

You are very serious. I jokingly said the "brain damage" thing. If you can't have a sense of humor about these things, you might as well hang it up!
I was going to suggest that with the biter too, keep him in a pnp or saucer, you need to keep the children safe. And I agree, kids want everything done for them. Lucky my group is young so I can teach them that I don't play with toys (ok an occasional barbie or lego) in this job you so need a sense of humour.
Heidi 12:17 PM 11-14-2012
SAHM, sounds like you were just venting today; frustrated.

I have to say, though, that sometimes it SEEMS like you are frustrated a lot. I know you'v e done a lot to make changes; terminating kids, getting rid of your assistants, etc.

It really sounds like, based on other posts, that you might be very frustrated with your group and your expectations of them alot. Do you feel frustrated so much of the time, or are we just hearing the worst days? I'd have to go back and read all your posts, but I don't think I've ever seen one along the lines of "wow, we had an awesome day, and did xx and xx"

Maybe that's because I didn't see those, or maybe it because you come here when you're overwhelmed?

Please don't think I'm picking on you. I'm trying to get a clear picture of what's going on.

How many children are in your group now? What ages? Does it feel like chaos there from morning 'til night?
Crystal 12:32 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
B-R-A-V-O !!!!
Crystal 12:41 PM 11-14-2012

Sugar gave you some VERY GOOD advice.....rather than taking it as a personal attack, perhaps you should really consider taking some of her advice. You frequently come here and vent about your frustrations, (which is GOOD.....everyone needs to vent and this is usually a safe place to do so) however you never seem to want to listen to sound, valid advice when it is given to you.....believe it or not, the advice you are given, even though it may be the exact opposite of what you currently do (or especially because it is opposite of what you currently do) may make your job a whole lot easier and less stressful. For instance, Sugar advises against the old standby of "go play toys" or "go play" and suggests providing gentle guidance and facilitation of the children's free play, yet you absolutely refuse. WHY? Honestly, that is some of the best advice you can get.....kids (ESPECIALLY 2-3 year olds) NEED our guidance and PATIENCE. They also HAVE to ask WHY and question things, that is one of the biggest ways they learn about the world around them.

PLEASE consider, for just a minute, trying what Sugar suggests, for a day or a week....and see if it doesn't make a difference in how your children behave, interact and play.
phoenix 12:53 PM 11-14-2012
When my kids start asking the....."what is....." "Where is....." "What are you doing......" kinds of questions, I like to have them answer themselves. Usually they know the answer and just want to show off a bit. Then that can start a fun dialog with a child

As for the bins, I agree with putting them up and away. I put toys and baskets and such in "toy time out" all the time. If the children fight over a toy or just abuse the way they are supposed to play with it, they lose the privilege of having it. I don't like to put the kids in time out all the time for that, they get frustrated just like we do. Just removing the object that causes the frustration settles them down.

Does the biter take a paci? Or does he have a lovey he can chew on? Or maybe a teething ring? I think a lot of children bite when they are cutting teeth. Those molars can be buggers
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 11-14-2012
I think the issue (in part) is the wrong or incorrect expectations.

You said: "They constantly follow me asking what this is and what that is and what are you doing and I constantly say, "Go play toys." "Go play with your friends." So annoying, really! And I am constantly telling them the same things over and over and over. It is the constant repetition that drive me batty"
Obviously when they constantly follow you, they have a need. That need is not being met or they wouldn't constantly follow you.

You are repeating yourself over and over but they aren't listening so to me that says you need to find another way to communicate what you want them to do or not do.

You also said: "because he is constantly climbing into things." and although you have things to climb into and onto, the basket has something that draws him to it. Figure out what that is and go with it. Why not let him climb into the basket until his curiousity or his need to play with it is satisfied. Playing in a basket IS fun.

You said: "Kids need to learn to play on their own, and interact with children their age. " and "Kids of the age of 2 and 3 should be able to manipulate toys on their own. THAT is what is wrong with kids these days, they expect everything to be done for them."

But your DCK's obviously don't know how to do that and when you are serving as the caretaker and the educator, it is your job to teach them those things. They aren't born with those skills. They need to be taught to them, shown to them and modeled to them before they will be able to do it

I think it is fantastic that you do arts/carafts and other fun activities but I think that is kind of putting the cart before the horse. If your kids are seriously lacking on prosocial skills and the ability to self-help and play alone or un-guided, then why not focus on building those skills and skil the organized crafts instead. Kids learn far more from playing in a guided group then participaing in a craft hour.

Like others have said, please do not be offended that anyone is offering you advice and please don't feel as though anyone is being harsh as we are only trying to support you as well as come up with useable solutions.

Sometimes changes in children have to be initiated by the adults. Chaos will reign until the masses learn to behave in the ways you expect them too. If you simply keep repeating singular phrases such as "go play" or whatever else, they will never understand what "go play" means.
Crystal 01:09 PM 11-14-2012
A couple of ideas....

For the basket boy, how about getting some big boxes or baskets and LETTING him climb in them as much as he wants. Every time he climbs in a toy bin "Hey buddy, I can see you REALLY like playing in the basket. I can't let you play in that one because it has toys in it (or it's for our toys and I really don't want it broken), but here, this one is JUST for you to climb in as much as you want" When you take away the "no" it really changes the child's (mis)behavior and takes a lot of stress off of you.

For the questions askers.....well, they are my favorite. They are who inspire our curriculum. Rather than follow a premade curriculum, I go with the children's inquiries. "Why does it rain or where does rain come from" would be turned in to a whole group study on rain that might last for weeks. If they are INTERESTED in something, they are going to ask about it, and when you respond by turning it into a study, rather than saying "go play toys" they will respond with excitement and interest about learning new information based on their interests. Put away the crafts and go with the flow of what the children like and want to know about and it will make your job 1000 times easier.

For the biter - I would try frequently offering him "biter biscuits", crackers, etc. Stuff to eat that will satisfy the urge to bite or chew. I would also offer frozen washcloths (get wet and freeze) to chew on, the occasional popsicle made from fresh juice, etc. I would continue to place him away from the other children when you need to potty, etc. However I would try to have him WITH the other children, on the floor with me sitting next to him as often as possible. Show him how to interact with the other children, if he tries to bite, you are right there to stop it but you are also teaching him how to be social.
Also, consider "wearing" him in a carrier.....this way you can "shadow" him even when you have to do things with the other children.
daycare 01:19 PM 11-14-2012
one of the things that my teacher stresses to us students is to be proactive, not reactive.

As others have said, if they are showing interest in wanting to climb in or on things, then provide a place with items that can safely do this. I have one like this and she broke a few of my storage boxes before I finally caught on.

I got two sturdy boxes and one laundry basket. have at it....OMG she fills them up with stuffed animals, hides in them, sits in them while another child will push her. they play on and on and on for hours. It's so cute to see them all try to make something out of the very simple items.

As for the biter, I don't really know what to suggest, I have only ever had one child bite one time ever and it never happened again.

Also, maybe another good idea is to get a poster board with pictures of the rules on it. When someone breaks a rule, go over to the board and show them again what the rule is. IT DOES WORK for these ages. It will show them the boundaries and rules, it will show them what you expect of them.

I also try to spend a little bit of one on one time with kids who present challenging behavior. Some kids just need a little more extra support and attention to build a sense of trust. Do something with them that you know they enjoy and show them that you enjoy them too.

YOu need to give alternatives...boxes
other things to bite than people

what about you....are you also taking care of yourself??
sahm2three 01:28 PM 11-14-2012
The reason why I said we are entering a phase, is because it is newish behavior. They used to be able to play with eachother without following me around with questions. They used to follow the rules much better than they do now. It seems like the more attention I give them the more they want.

I do post most often if I am having an issue. I had a good long stretch with things going so great. Then it seems a new kid starts and everything goes haywire. I wish I felt like I could vent or seek advice without people saying, "Wow, you seem frustrated." I will just refrain from posting. Ugh.
Country Kids 01:29 PM 11-14-2012
I understand where you are coming from!!!!!

I have tons of baskets for my toys and they want to sit and stand on them constantly. I have even bought some for them to just play with and that was disasterous.

Alot of times I feel like all I do is referee and do nothing else with my group. The best, best thing I have found is to keep them busy the ENTIRE time they are at my house. We do preschool, outside time, centers (they work alone), free play with me right there (not very long though), etc.

I have no advice about Mr. Biter though. I did have awhile ago and really had to be on top of it. They would lovelingly give hugs and kisses to the kids and then chomp into them-.

Anyway, I have a hard group also. I have to really prep myself everyday and make sure everything is ready to go. I literally am with my group the entire time they are here. I have some that do not sleep so I'm trying to keep them quiet for 2 hours and then the rest of our day is filled with activities and such. I am working 10.5 hours without a break at least 4 days a week.

If you would like to talk more feel free to pm me!
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 11-14-2012
The reason why I said we are entering a phase, is because it is newish behavior. They used to be able to play with eachother without following me around with questions. They used to follow the rules much better than they do now. It seems like the more attention I give them the more they want.

I do post most often if I am having an issue. I had a good long stretch with things going so great. Then it seems a new kid starts and everything goes haywire. I wish I felt like I could vent or seek advice without people saying, "Wow, you seem frustrated." I will just refrain from posting. Ugh.
Please don't get offended when people offer advice. Every time someone posts/vents/shares whatever, and people don't respond in a way the poster likes or in a manner the poster wants them to, they (the poster) usually end up getting their feelings hurt and vow to never post again.

Honestly that is kind of childish in and of itself. If you are going to vent/post/share on a public forum you are going to receive replies that run the gamut. Some will agree, some will sympathize, some will criticize, some will advise on how to change, some will share their experiences and some will simply offer support.

Either way, take what YOU need from those replies and leave the rest. But getting upset and playing the "Fine, I won't post anymore" card is equivalent to a child holding their breath until they get what they want.

FWIW~ I am NOT saying any of this to hurt you or to make you feel bad.

Every single provider on this board has felt exhausted, worn out, run down and outright frustrated at one time while doing this job. If they say they haven't they are lying because this job IS tough!

But in order to do this job WE have to constantly change.

What works one day does not work the next day. Once we figure out the lock, the combination changes. It is NEVER going to be an easy job. It will wear on you, beat you down and take the best out of you but at the same time it can be rewarding, fun and exciting....it's all in how YOU see it and how YOU choose to deal with it.

Please take what you can use from the poster who replied and leave the rest. No one is trying on purpose to be mean or hurtful. I think that along with having a back bone in this business, we also need to have a thicker skin too.

Hoping you find a resolution that works for you.
sahm2three 01:47 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
one of the things that my teacher stresses to us students is to be proactive, not reactive.

As others have said, if they are showing interest in wanting to climb in or on things, then provide a place with items that can safely do this. I have one like this and she broke a few of my storage boxes before I finally caught on.

I got two sturdy boxes and one laundry basket. have at it....OMG she fills them up with stuffed animals, hides in them, sits in them while another child will push her. they play on and on and on for hours. It's so cute to see them all try to make something out of the very simple items.

As for the biter, I don't really know what to suggest, I have only ever had one child bite one time ever and it never happened again.

Also, maybe another good idea is to get a poster board with pictures of the rules on it. When someone breaks a rule, go over to the board and show them again what the rule is. IT DOES WORK for these ages. It will show them the boundaries and rules, it will show them what you expect of them.

I also try to spend a little bit of one on one time with kids who present challenging behavior. Some kids just need a little more extra support and attention to build a sense of trust. Do something with them that you know they enjoy and show them that you enjoy them too.

YOu need to give alternatives...boxes
other things to bite than people

what about you....are you also taking care of yourself??
Thank you very much for the thoughtful, non-judging message. I am going to look for sturdy storage boxes/baskets of some kind this weekend to see if that will help.

I have a basket of things that the biter may bite. After I tell him no, I take him to the basket and show him the things he can bite. I have even showed him how to bite them. Harder things, softer things, lots of variety. Some days are worse than others, today has been very challenging. Maybe he has another tooth coming in or something.

I think I have been doing a pretty good job of taking care of myself. It has been a rough couple months. Non-daycare related stuff like house stresses, sicknesses, family moving who needed help, lots of stuff. But I have decided to let some responsibilities go, and just relax. I started yoga. I guess I just didn't think I sounded angry or super frustrated. I was just looking for honest and constructive advice. I do think I am hypersensitive to the feeling of being judged on here, because I have felt that way from the very beginning. I use this sight as a place of information, and also a place to vent. So I just wish that people understood that the "wow, you have sounded really frustrated a lot lately" feel judgey. Just support eachother. Isn't that why we are here?!
daycare 01:56 PM 11-14-2012
Thank you very much for the thoughtful, non-judging message. I am going to look for sturdy storage boxes/baskets of some kind this weekend to see if that will help.

I have a basket of things that the biter may bite. After I tell him no, I take him to the basket and show him the things he can bite. I have even showed him how to bite them. Harder things, softer things, lots of variety. Some days are worse than others, today has been very challenging. Maybe he has another tooth coming in or something.

I think I have been doing a pretty good job of taking care of myself. It has been a rough couple months. Non-daycare related stuff like house stresses, sicknesses, family moving who needed help, lots of stuff. But I have decided to let some responsibilities go, and just relax. I started yoga. I guess I just didn't think I sounded angry or super frustrated. I was just looking for honest and constructive advice. I do think I am hypersensitive to the feeling of being judged on here, because I have felt that way from the very beginning. I use this sight as a place of information, and also a place to vent. So I just wish that people understood that the "wow, you have sounded really frustrated a lot lately" feel judgey. Just support eachother. Isn't that why we are here?!
I know what you mean about feeling judged. I know that my own insecurities get the best of me and I always think that people are judging me.

Please know that you are a very strong and smart woman. Don't ever feel misunderstood when you come here. I find this place all to amazing, as I struggle every time I post to put my thoughts into words and for my words to be understood.

Sometimes they are understood and people can share in how I feel.

Others might want to cyber smack me, thinking OMG daycare you didn't listen to what I told you to do and you are still doing the same thing over and over again... These people just might come off the wrong way, becuase they want nothing more than to see us taking the advice that was given, fix the issue and be happy!!!!

Then there are some that just might not understand what you are getting at and question your every word....

What I am trying to say, is please work with all of us to help you. I know that there is not a regular member on here that would ever intentionally say anything to make you feel bad.

Please do all that you can to take care of YOU......
we work hard and juggle a lot to implement our programs. When we are overwhelmed, we are more likely to react the wrong way. Be sure to take care of yourself throughout the day. Eat breakfast and lunch use every second you can find to relax and decompress.

For me it is just straight going crazy that makes me happy as ever. I throw on some tunes and the kids and I just dance until we are soaking wet in sweat.....

Find a happy place for you that you can visit each and every day as many times as you need to.........and if necessary, take the kids with you....
Heidi 07:50 AM 11-15-2012
Hey SAHM..

Please keep in mind that when we write our posts, we can't see body language or tone of voice. The "emoticons" help a little, but they aren't eye contact, a pat on the shoulder, or a kind tone of voice. So much depends on what YOU'RE feeling at the time you are reading it, too. Your "filter" affects what you're getting.

The same goes for those of us reading your posts. You could be saying something sarcasticially funny (like the schtick about the brainlessness), and we could visualize you on the other side of your computer with a horrible grimace on your face, smoke comming from your ears.

So, like BlackCat said, take it all with a grain of salt. If you don't like certain advice, then just move on.
Country Kids 09:24 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I know what you mean about feeling judged. I know that my own insecurities get the best of me and I always think that people are judging me.

Please know that you are a very strong and smart woman. Don't ever feel misunderstood when you come here. I find this place all to amazing, as I struggle every time I post to put my thoughts into words and for my words to be understood.

Sometimes they are understood and people can share in how I feel.

Others might want to cyber smack me, thinking OMG daycare you didn't listen to what I told you to do and you are still doing the same thing over and over again... These people just might come off the wrong way, becuase they want nothing more than to see us taking the advice that was given, fix the issue and be happy!!!!

Then there are some that just might not understand what you are getting at and question your every word....

What I am trying to say, is please work with all of us to help you. I know that there is not a regular member on here that would ever intentionally say anything to make you feel bad.

Please do all that you can to take care of YOU......
we work hard and juggle a lot to implement our programs. When we are overwhelmed, we are more likely to react the wrong way. Be sure to take care of yourself throughout the day. Eat breakfast and lunch use every second you can find to relax and decompress.

For me it is just straight going crazy that makes me happy as ever. I throw on some tunes and the kids and I just dance until we are soaking wet in sweat.....

Find a happy place for you that you can visit each and every day as many times as you need to.........and if necessary, take the kids with you....

Thank you for writing the best words of encouragement! These made me happy and I wasn't even down.

You always have some of the best advice because you truly understand what it is like to have an extremely hard group!

Thank you daycare!
Tags:asking why, overwhelmed, redirection
Reply Up