Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>STOP with the illness already!?
Mom&Provider 04:43 AM 11-29-2012
Seriously...we have been sick on and off since September. It seems one DCK brings in most of it, but this year, especially when compared to last year, I'm picking it all up too!?

I went to bed last night with the start of pink eye...this morning, no better (worse in fact), so I pick up the phone to call parents and at least let them know I am open BUT this is what is happening here. I didnt think it was fair to say nothing, when clearly my eye is pink and this is very contagious!

Last week one DCB had a touch of pink eye, but it went away on its own over the weekend. This same child has brought in colds, strep throat and now this...ARGH...ALL of which he has given to a few other kids and me!!

I've cleaned all the toys, I've kept kids separated when needed as much as possible, I've called the parents for early pick-ups and I've even asked this child be kept at home recently when he had a stomach bug. I'm not sure what else I can do...not really asking for advice...just needed to VENT!!
juliebug 04:46 AM 11-29-2012
Hugs Sickness is the worst and it seams winter is when it all hits! I hope your pink eye gets better quick and everyone stays healthy!
littlemissmuffet 05:55 AM 11-29-2012
This was my year last year - there was ongoing sickness foralmost the ENTIRE year!! I finally pinpointed the culprit of almost all of the sickness (I keep very thourough illness logs) and I revamped my illness to be MUCH stricter (if a child came back after 24 hours of illness and was still sick, the child was out for another 48 hours; sending home after one puke or diarhea as opposed to 2; sending home for uncontrollable cough/runny nose; requiring a dr. visit (with note of diagnoses) after 10 days of cold symptoms, etc). I sent home a notice stating the changes were in effect immediately and had the parents sign a form stating they understood and agreed to the changes. Everyone signed... except for the family whose child was bringing in the majority of illness (knowing I revamped the policy with them in mind). I told them I could/would not continue care unless they agreed to the new policy, to which they argued I was discriminating against their child I didn't like this family to begin with so I was happy to inform them that they had two choices - sign or go. Thankfull they chose to go and we've only had to deal with one mild cold since then (6 months ago).
cheerfuldom 06:30 AM 11-29-2012
at this point, you might be losing more money by keeping this sick DCK and having him constantly exposing everyone else. i would be very frustrated as a parent to have my kid keep getting stuff from daycare. either tighten up your illness policy (at least for this one kid) or consider letting them go if he is always bringing in stuff like pink eye.
sahm2three 06:55 AM 11-29-2012
Same here. Someone has been sick constantly since September here too. I am on my 3rd cold, we have had stomach flu twice. I am worn out!
Mom&Provider 07:00 AM 11-29-2012
I'd love to let him go, but with Christmas right around the corner, I just can't. We're struggling as it is, and I know I need to suck it up or get it out, it's just the worst time of the year and I can't decide to let him go or we fall behind - I run a small daycare, 3 kids + my own 2.

I've already done more then my policy indicates about sickness with this one child, but once the symptoms show up in the one child, the rest including me are often already exposed. I've even said to this one parent that I have never come down with so much, and it seems to be ongoing this year (he's new since July) and she isn't getting it. I don't want to come out and say its YOUR kid!!

Anyway, thank you. Maybe I should send a "Dear Parents" letter out, but just to this family, and spell it all out yet again!?
littlemissmuffet 09:08 AM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I'd love to let him go, but with Christmas right around the corner, I just can't. We're struggling as it is, and I know I need to suck it up or get it out, it's just the worst time of the year and I can't decide to let him go or we fall behind - I run a small daycare, 3 kids + my own 2.

I've already done more then my policy indicates about sickness with this one child, but once the symptoms show up in the one child, the rest including me are often already exposed. I've even said to this one parent that I have never come down with so much, and it seems to be ongoing this year (he's new since July) and she isn't getting it. I don't want to come out and say its YOUR kid!!

Anyway, thank you. Maybe I should send a "Dear Parents" letter out, but just to this family, and spell it all out yet again!?

I understand, you don't want to be struggling anymore - especially with the holidays coming up. I would still start at least searching for a replacement. You could end up losing your other families for their kids being sick to much, the parents becoming sick too much and missing too much work as a result.
Best of luck!
Reply Up