Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Day Care Baby Killed by Provider in NYC
biglou 05:17 PM 08-25-2014
Terrible news for all people with a heart. A baby was killed, yes killed by a careless, heartless, and stupid provider on Friday. Makes me want to scream to all parents that choosing your provider is a serious matter. Read the news for your self- A clipping from the NY Daily News:
warning: will break your heart

Excerpt:

Bronx woman claims she was ‘wrestling’ with baby before he died at her day care center; police arrest Athena Skeeter who has been charged with manslaughter and child endangerment in the death of little 20-month-old Cardell Williamson. She allegedly threw him on the floor and stepped on him.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz3BS4Ob1D3

Big Lou
Hunni Bee 06:39 PM 08-25-2014

That's all I got.
Jazminsdaycare 06:03 AM 08-26-2014
manslaughter?
how about murder?

My God, bless this poor baby and she will be "well taken care of" in prison by the other inmates!

daycarediva 10:14 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by :
I just didn’t feel comfortable leaving him in the care of this person, but you have to comply with the rules to be a part of the back-to-work program,” he said.
He told The News his son came home before with bumps and bruises, but the day care operator always had an excuse.

“Two weeks ago he came home with a bump on his head and split lip. She told me he slipped and fell in the kitchen,” Williamson said. “Another time, he came back all scraped up and she said he fell down some steps because his shoes were too tight. She always had a story for what had happened.
That poor love. I couldn't read the details of the abuse.

I'm sure he could have chosen ANY provider. We have a similar program in our area and the rules are that they can chose whoever they want and the state pays the cost.

In addition, if he didn't feel comfortable, he should NOT have sent him back! There needs to be some personal responsibility with whom a person leaves their child!

Also- I just sent a child home yesterday, almost the same age, with a bumped forehead and a tiny split on her lip. She fell and bonked her head and bit her lip. I've never hurt a child in my life, but every time I send one home with a typical young child injury I always worry the parents will assume the worst because of providers like THIS.
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 08-26-2014
It is horrific. I am shocked with manslaughter... but hold out hope there is more info?

(I have heard her called "a gentle giant" a few times. Sometimes that lends to a different mentality for lack of better words, as in intent? That leads to who sets qualifications of subsidy approved providers... IDK, I am following this one.)

We hold a greater responsibility and should be charged as such as a community.

There are a few threads on this in the last couple days.
TaylorTots 11:08 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
That poor love. I couldn't read the details of the abuse.

I'm sure he could have chosen ANY provider. We have a similar program in our area and the rules are that they can chose whoever they want and the state pays the cost.

In addition, if he didn't feel comfortable, he should NOT have sent him back! There needs to be some personal responsibility with whom a person leaves their child!

Also- I just sent a child home yesterday, almost the same age, with a bumped forehead and a tiny split on her lip. She fell and bonked her head and bit her lip. I've never hurt a child in my life, but every time I send one home with a typical young child injury I always worry the parents will assume the worst because of providers like THIS.
Yep, I have a 16m old that toppled over onto our little people castle today and ended up with two very small scratches on her little face. Mom is picking up and she's good with injuries but dad can be a big stress - I can't imagine how this provider could do this to a child when I dread a scratch
BrooklynM 12:09 PM 08-26-2014
Hopefully they will get enough evidence to upgrade the charges to 2nd degree murder. This should qualify.

I can't even think of a good word to describe her. Why would she do childcare as a profession and then do this? It is stories like these that will make me stay in this business for a long time!
The autopsy will know if she placed the child in the bath after he died, if there was water in his lungs. My guess is that he may have been dead before she put him in the bathtub because that makes no sense and seems like an afterthought...Then again, none of it makes any sense...
Reply Up