Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Canceled With No Notice
Kayla84 04:53 PM 10-25-2010
We began taking my 6 week old baby to a home daycare. Upon registering we paid a non refundable $50 registration fee, $140 for the first two weeks, and $140 security deposit. After 2 weeks of her being there, even though in this time she only spent 2 days there, the daycare provider emailed us that she wouldn't be able to care for our baby anymore as she was too much work.We asked that she return our security deposit, since the way we thought it worked was that the deposit covers the last two weeks she is there or in case we split and don't pay since that is how my mother does it in her daycare. The daycare refused to return our deposit and is now trying to say that it was a non refundable deposit to hold our spot. In the policies we signed it clearly says the registration fee is non refundable but nowhere does it state that about the deposit. We feel that she took advantage of us by charging us $330 for about 16 hours of actual daycare, and also for canceling on a Sunday morning by email before I had to be to work on Monday. It states in her policies also that she will give a two week notice before she cancels on parents and that they must do the same or they will have to pay for that 2 weeks. Are we wrong in expecting our deposit back?
QualiTcare 09:39 PM 10-25-2010
wow, if i'm understanding this correctly - u paid $140 for two weeks of care?

so, in total, you paid $280, but she only kept her for 2 weeks?

i haven't seen the contract obviously, but IMO - it sounds like you should definitely get the $140 refunded OR she should keep her for two more weeks.

maybe i've misunderstood. $140 for 2 weeks of care sounds rather cheap, but it sounds like you were part time which in that case could be correct.

of course, the $50 is non-refundable which you don't seem to be concerned with, but the $140 should most def. be returned. is she licensed? if so, you can report her to licensing. do you have a copy of the check or a receipt?
Jewels 03:14 AM 10-26-2010
She should definatley pay you your deposit back!! Sorry that has happened to you, but you should also be happy that she spoke up right away, Even if she did decide to take her for 2 weeks, I wouldnt want her to, the baby obviously frustrates her, and you dont want your baby around that. I'm guessing she doesnt have the money to give you your deposit back, bit she does owe you that, I agree with the above poster, call her licensor, you just call the county she lives in, and you'll find the daycare licensing.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 10-30-2010
Yes, she was part time. We have decided to take the daycare lady to small claims court, since the paperwork we signed supports our side. Now we just hope that we can actually get the money! I have called to report her, and the licensing agency said they can't do anything against her license since they dont deal with money issues, but they can log the complaint so future parents can see it. Thanks for the advice!
Abigail 11:10 PM 10-31-2010
Did you pay in advance before your child even attended for a holding fee or did you sign her up and start right away? I think you should win small claims with this because usually places have a trial period and you should be refunded if the provider chooses to stop care. How did you find this provider?
Tags:notice
Reply Up