Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After 2 Years, I'm Done! *Long*
KristinsHomeCC 04:55 AM 04-26-2017
It happened. That wonderful, beautiful shiny BURN OUT you all warned about!

It came at the same exact time as my license renewal, CPR renewal and since FL DCF changed their child care laws, another $200 for fingerprinting and background (even though I just did it last year) so its really perfect timing when it comes to all the legal stuff.

My son turned 3 in January and hates all 3 daycare children but loves one. My days are mostly spent seperating him and letting him go off to his room to play, etc. It makes me really sad.

I love my group, love the parents except one DCD and his dreadful awkwardness but I see him rarely so I got over it.

I cant change hours or days because Id lose every single one of the kids and there is no way Im starting over. Each one of them has to be here at open most days of the week and each one of them is here until atleast 5 and almost always have one here til 6 on the dot (close time). 11 hours straight, each day - no breaks. I should have made changes awhile ago but it is what it is.

Now our rent has gone up. I was only bringing in $560 a week for 3 FT and one PT. This is gross, before any expenses it takes to run the daycare. I provide food so that is a huge hit on my income. Our rent going up another $100 a month takes a hit! $560 a week is NOT bad to stay at home, less d.c. expenses for my own son. But when I am stuck at home 12 hrs a day with a miserable son, I dont think its worth it in the slightest.

My DH could support us on his own with his shop he owns fixing powersports. I did this in the beginning because my son had just turned 1 and I could no longer bring him with me to work at my husbands shop (not safe for a stumbly 1 year old) now hes 3 and knows the rules of the shop and thinks its freakin Disneyland. Now I could go work there PT no problem while my son gets to work on things with his dad.

My parents are going to be devastated and/or hissing and clawing at me. I'm nervous. All my license renewal stuff has to be done by June 1st, I figure thats a perfect amount of notice for them. A little over 4 weeks. Id have to look at the calendar but I will prob just close that friday, whatever day it falls on. Ive had this group for 1.5 years and its going to be so dang hard.

Any threads on closing letters? Wording?
daycarediva 05:03 AM 04-26-2017
2 years is the magic point for most providers. MANY close in the first two years. It sounds like daycare was the gap you needed to be able to stay home with your son, and now that chapter of your life is over and you're ready to move on. I wish you the best!

I'm pm'ing you the letter I'm using.
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 04-26-2017
It is a hard life, even harder when your kids are the same age as the DCK's.

School-agers are their own specious set of issues, so I won't even suggest it.

I do wish you such good luck in whatever direction you go in next.
Baby Beluga 06:21 AM 04-26-2017
No suggestions on a letter just lots of hugs. I hope this new chapter in your life is wonderful.
Snowmom 06:31 AM 04-26-2017
I'm sorry it didn't work. But as said above, it sounds like the timing worked for you.

I'd just keep it short and sweet:
Dear DCF:
This letter is to inform you that I will be closing my business on June 1st.
I have enjoyed caring for your families. As with life, my family needs have changed and my business needs change along with them.
I am enclosing a list of local providers and associations to aide you in your search for a new provider.
I wish you all the best,
Kristin
Mike 06:36 AM 04-26-2017
Sounds like daycare was the perfect temporary route for you. Enjoy your new path.

Don't be too worried about the parents. A month is lots of notice.
Ariana 07:16 AM 04-26-2017
Sounds like you have a great setup to move away from daycare which is awesome!!!

Good luck
AmyKidsCo 11:52 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I'm sorry it didn't work. But as said above, it sounds like the timing worked for you.

I'd just keep it short and sweet:
Dear DCF:
This letter is to inform you that I will be closing my business on June 1st.
I have enjoyed caring for your families. As with life, my family needs have changed and my business needs change along with them.
I am enclosing a list of local providers and associations to aide you in your search for a new provider.
I wish you all the best,
Kristin

Except instead of the list of local providers I'd point them toward the local Child Care Resource and Referral. And offer to write them a letter of recommendation for their next program.
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 04-27-2017
PP's letter was great and I agree with referring them to your local CC association resource.
What a great opportunity for you(and as you said, perfect timing!!) to change your path. And just think of the bonding and learning going on between all of you as a family. Daddy and son working together.....
KristinsHomeCC 06:46 AM 04-27-2017
Thank you all so, so much

Seriously, I depended on this forum every. Single. Time I had an issue with DC and there was always so much love and support. You are all awesome
e.j. 03:41 PM 04-27-2017
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and your family but it's great that you have something else you can fall back on. Good luck!
Laurie 03:48 PM 04-27-2017
yep!! You hit that magic number

I wish you the best for your future!!
CityGarden 08:47 PM 04-27-2017
Wishing you the best in your next endeavor!
Tags:closing daycare, closing daycare - how to, closing daycare - not for me, notice - 30 day
Reply Up