Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Heard Of This?
BentleysBands 03:25 AM 12-10-2010
just curious....

got a text from dcm last night at 930p saying the kids wont be here until 8-9a because she/dad took the day off and dont wanna get up and bring at 630a....said her sister is have a memorial service for her baby she miscarried at 10wks...SIX WEEKS AGO .... does this reallly happen? i've had 3 miscarriages all under 11wks and didnt have a memorial service...do ppl really do that? and 6 wks later??

my dh said they are full of BS lol and hes a great judge of character!!

onlly way i will know if its true or not is to hit up Paw Paw who visits once a week (we compromised on 1 day a week) and see what he says ....

cuz if this IS true i do NOT want to cause any problems kWIM?

background to this family: all my dcp's know that they pay for their spot and i dont question what they do while the kids are here. so long as they arent late picking up..who cares . tho it bugs me yes, i dont stress about it....well THIS family was abusing it and since i give them a VERY reduced rate i change for them that kids will ONLY be here when they are working! paw paw can watch them if they wanna shop,etc.....so thats why i'm leary about believing them today......any advice? keep quiet and find out from paw paw next week?
Luna 03:39 AM 12-10-2010
I would accept it as true. We've all heard that different people grieve in different ways so there's a decent chance that this is really what they're doing. IMO it's much too sensitive a situation to question it.
If it isn't true, that's pretty low and I don't think I'd want to know!
legomom922 03:56 AM 12-10-2010
Why be upset that they are coming late anyway?? You are still getting your pay unless you charge them hrly for the time they are. Otherwise, so what?? I love it when my DCP's come late. It's less work and I still get my daily rate.

I would never question anything a DCP tells me. It's really none of my business. Just enjoy the peace.
BentleysBands 04:05 AM 12-10-2010
i'm not questioning them being late.....i'm questioning the reason she has told me....since i no longer allow them to do what they want when kids are here, they MUST be working or come get them...i'm wondering if its her excuse so she can shop.....parents lie we all know....it wouldnt be an issue had she not abused it before
legomom922 04:15 AM 12-10-2010
I understand that, but why be upset if she's not working? She is still paying you...
BentleysBands 04:28 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I understand that, but why be upset if she's not working? She is still paying you...
because as i stated in original post, she abused that privilage before by being late on several occasions so she no longer has that privilage like others.
kendallina 04:30 AM 12-10-2010
Yes, people do do this, I wouldn't question it.
BentleysBands 04:34 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Yes, people do do this, I wouldn't question it.
Thanks! i just wasnt sure.
laundrymom 04:50 AM 12-10-2010
Yes I have.
legomom922 05:00 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
because as i stated in original post, she abused that privilage before by being late on several occasions so she no longer has that privilage like others.
I still feel like I am missing something here. if she has been late before, I still dont understand if she comes at 7am or 8am, and she is still paying you, why it would matter? Unless you charge her by the hr, then I can see being late by an hr would make you lose pay...
jen 05:34 AM 12-10-2010
I still feel like I am missing something here. if she has been late before, I still dont understand if she comes at 7am or 8am, and she is still paying you, why it would matter? Unless you charge her by the hr, then I can see being late by an hr would make you lose pay...
It isn't about being late, it is about bringing the children when they aren't working.

She is giving them a very reduced rate, and in exchange they are only to bring the children when they are working. They are not working in this case, however, if the parent is in fact at a Memorial Service she is OK with that. Based on a past history of abusing the reduced rate, she is hesitant to accept their word on where they are spending their time today.
E Daycare 05:36 AM 12-10-2010
My dck mother miscarried at 17wks horribly so and they had the memorial service about two months after so Id accept that as true too. I was also taken aback seeing how it seemed so long but I didnt question it as I figure its different for each individual.

I can see how youd think they "cried wolf" though.
BentleysBands 05:41 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
It isn't about being late, it is about bringing the children when they aren't working.

She is giving them a very reduced rate, and in exchange they are only to bring the children when they are working. They are not working in this case, however, if the parent is in fact at a Memorial Service she is OK with that. Based on a past history of abusing the reduced rate, she is hesitant to accept their word on where they are spending their time today.
you have worded this perfectly!!!! thanks
TGT09 06:03 AM 12-10-2010
I'm not sure I would question this.....being a victim of infertility myself, I can vouch that people grieve differently.
jen 06:07 AM 12-10-2010
you have worded this perfectly!!!! thanks
No problem!
BentleysBands 06:31 AM 12-10-2010
UPDATE:

parents came at 850a in sweats and ball caps....and offered that they were going to the gym then grocery shopping before the 2pm service....so i said, well the kids can come back at 1p but i'm not keeping them now...told dcp's about last months letter and verbal that they get a reduced rate because THEY said they couldnt afford my rate but really wanted their kids here. i had NO problem helping them out. but when they abused a few rules of mine, the luxury of doing what they wanted while kids were here changed! i told her also that unless she would like a new contract with the regular rate as everyone else, then she can do as she pleases. well, she complains,gives a sob story....so i came back with 'you have enuff $ to shop and go to the gym...y not pay the extra to me?"

so she agreed that she would like to pay the regular rate and have a new contract

funny how NOW she can afford me....i will no longer let my heart be on my sleeve when it comes to my rates....everyone pays $30/day for 1 or $50 for 2 per day....SHE pays for 2 only $25 !!! shes paying LESS for 2 kids than my one parent pays for ONE

so the kids stayed and her new rate will begin on monday from $125 for TWO fulltime M-F 630a-3p to the new rate of $250 same times.....$125 increase a week....funny she can pay that now...but more $ for me. also told her that if payments are late , late fees will incur like the others .

thats what happens when you abuse your privilages!

now, lets see how long she can 'afford' it
kendallina 06:38 AM 12-10-2010
UPDATE:

parents came at 850a in sweats and ball caps....and offered that they were going to the gym then grocery shopping before the 2pm service....so i said, well the kids can come back at 1p but i'm not keeping them now...told dcp's about last months letter and verbal that they get a reduced rate because THEY said they couldnt afford my rate but really wanted their kids here. i had NO problem helping them out. but when they abused a few rules of mine, the luxury of doing what they wanted while kids were here changed! i told her also that unless she would like a new contract with the regular rate as everyone else, then she can do as she pleases. well, she complains,gives a sob story....so i came back with 'you have enuff $ to shop and go to the gym...y not pay the extra to me?"

so she agreed that she would like to pay the regular rate and have a new contract

funny how NOW she can afford me....i will no longer let my heart be on my sleeve when it comes to my rates....everyone pays $30/day for 1 or $50 for 2 per day....SHE pays for 2 only $25 !!! shes paying LESS for 2 kids than my one parent pays for ONE

so the kids stayed and her new rate will begin on monday from $125 for TWO fulltime M-F 630a-3p to the new rate of $250 same times.....$125 increase a week....funny she can pay that now...but more $ for me. also told her that if payments are late , late fees will incur like the others .

WOW- good for you! You stood up for what you knew what was right and it really paid off!
DaycareMomma 06:39 AM 12-10-2010
Very nice job handling that situation! Isn't it amazing how they can suddenly afford to pay you more... I tell ya, some parents.
Luna 06:46 AM 12-10-2010
Gee if they were going to lie they could at least dress for it. AND not give you the added details about the gym etc. Not too bright.
legomom922 06:53 AM 12-10-2010
How do you see they are lying? They are going shopping & gym first. The service isnt until 2pm! They dont have to dress for it until 1 or 130?
QualiTcare 07:03 AM 12-10-2010
How do you see they are lying? They are going shopping & gym first. The service isnt until 2pm! They dont have to dress for it until 1 or 130?
lego, i happen to agree that it shouldn't matter what a parent is doing if they're paying for care. i never cared what parents were doing and even offered my services on off days - nor would i have taken my children to a place that said i couldn't stop by the store or go the gym.

BUT some people don't feel that way and she's one of those people. nobody is going to change their mind so there's really no point debating it. trust me, it's been done a million times.
marniewon 07:12 AM 12-10-2010
UPDATE:

I would be very concerned that she just said okay to the rate change to get you to keep the kids today. That she'll come back on Monday and tell you that she looked over her finances and decided she can't afford the higher rate after all.
missnikki 07:18 AM 12-10-2010
The way I see it, once you start requiring that parents tell you what they are doing, you turn into a detective and get worked up over any little inconsistencies. If I knew for a fact that a parent was off galavanting I would be annoyed at the fact that they don't want to hang out with their child, not that they hired me- it's my job to care for kids in the parents absence. Not to decide if the reason they are absent is acceptable. That's just me.
BentleysBands 07:27 AM 12-10-2010
its NOT about a parent doing what they want ...I DONT CARE waht they do....but dont be late on several occassions because of it ...

and dont expect to pay less than others and 'claim' your poor but expect to galavant ...all my other parents do as they wish when kids r here, I do NOT care.

and the new contract is ready to be signed at pickup No sign, then they do not return Monday
BentleysBands 07:29 AM 12-10-2010
becuase you are reading into something i wasnt even complaining about. i dont care what they do .... i'm not debating anything with you...u do things YOUR way and i will do it MY way
legomom922 07:31 AM 12-10-2010
Agreed..

It's the perfect way to find yourself out of a job..
BentleysBands 07:32 AM 12-10-2010
Agreed..

It's the perfect way to find yourself out of a job..
you are so snide with your comments!! so NOT needed !!
MyAngels 07:35 AM 12-10-2010
its NOT about a parent doing what they want ...I DONT CARE waht they do....but dont be late on several occassions because of it ...

and dont expect to pay less than others and 'claim' your poor but expect to galavant ...all my other parents do as they wish when kids r here, I do NOT care.

and the new contract is ready to be signed at pickup No sign, then they do not return Monday
I can see where you are coming from here. I don't care at all what the parents do during the day as long as they are paying my full rate, on time, every week and are never late picking up. But don't cry poor-mouth, expect me to lower my rates and extend my hours, then spend your time doing anything but working.
missnikki 07:38 AM 12-10-2010
Bentley,
I get what you are saying about the late pickups. Totally. Please don't think I'm judging you or your program, I'm sure you do a great job. I just want to say my initial reaction to your initial complaint tells me that you have a problem that may have been exaserbated by requiring that the parents give you their itinerary. I might have handled it differently, that's all. We're here to give support, and I hope you take this as 'constructive criticism', not judging or being snide in any way.
I think you are doing the right thing by making them sign new contracts, and unraveling the old cheap rates- you deserve to be paid appropriately, and on time, and with no excuses.
Paisley 07:44 AM 12-10-2010
I totally understand what you are saying here. They pay a VERY discounted rate ($125.00) and don't get the priviledge of doing as they please while their children are in your care. You did this as a favor to them and at their request so they could afford to use your services. If they want to be able to "galavant" then they need to pay the same as everyone else ($250.00) that gets to do as they please. Am I correct? If so, then I agree with you. You tried to cut them a break for only using your services while they are working. They are taking advantage of your willingness to help. Good job for sticking up for yourself!
BentleysBands 07:47 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Bentley,
I get what you are saying about the late pickups. Totally. Please don't think I'm judging you or your program, I'm sure you do a great job. I just want to say my initial reaction to your initial complaint tells me that you have a problem that may have been exaserbated by requiring that the parents give you their itinerary. I might have handled it differently, that's all. We're here to give support, and I hope you take this as 'constructive criticism', not judging or being snide in any way.
I think you are doing the right thing by making them sign new contracts, and unraveling the old cheap rates- you deserve to be paid appropriately, and on time, and with no excuses.
none taken i appreciate appropriate comments as we all do things differently. but Legomoms comment was just uncalled for but thats how she rolls

just gets really old coming here and getting bashed by certain people...maybe i will just go to pm'ing people when i have a question or complaint ....i'll just go back to reading and not commenting...seems the only way to get good advice hre lately.
legomom922 08:14 AM 12-10-2010
The comment was not made to you. I wrote that to Miss Nicki. I was agreeing with her, as her post was the last one as I was replying. I'm sorry if you took it for you, as it was not intended.
jen 08:19 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
lego, i happen to agree that it shouldn't matter what a parent is doing if they're paying for care. i never cared what parents were doing and even offered my services on off days - nor would i have taken my children to a place that said i couldn't stop by the store or go the gym.

BUT some people don't feel that way and she's one of those people. nobody is going to change their mind so there's really no point debating it. trust me, it's been done a million times.
I am so confused...they WERE NOT paying for full time care. They were paying less than 1/2 price, for work time ONLY hours. Which was a total kindess on the part of the provider.

If you ask for and accept a handout, shouldn't you at least abide by the terms of that agreement????

It makes literally no sense to me that this is being compared to someone paying for full time care and doing what they want during daycare hours.
legomom922 08:20 AM 12-10-2010
becuase you are reading into something i wasnt even complaining about. i dont care what they do .... i'm not debating anything with you...u do things YOUR way and i will do it MY way
You really need to take more time and READ everyones post. Again, I had written a reply to what LUNA said, not YOU! Go back and read it again!
legomom922 08:25 AM 12-10-2010
I am so confused...they WERE NOT paying for full time care.
I guess I have to quote all my replies now, so everyone knows who the reply is intended for...

Anyway, why should it matter if she is at work or a memorial service? She is still paying her daily fee weather it's discounted or not. I feel just because it's discounted doesn't mean the DCP can play detective, and be accusitory.
jen 08:35 AM 12-10-2010
I guess I have to quote all my replies now, so everyone knows who the reply is intended for...

Anyway, why should it matter if she is at work or a memorial service? She is still paying her daily fee weather it's discounted or not. I feel just because it's discounted doesn't mean the DCP can play detective, and be accusitory.
After the daycare parent agreed to only bring the child while they while they were at work, they arrived at daycare and volunteered that they were going to the grocery store and to the gym.

It was not a simple discounted rate, it was contingent on the specific condition that they NOT bring the children when they did not have to work. In truth, she is extending herself by keeping them during the service.

I'm not really sure what part of this you don't get.
legomom922 08:43 AM 12-10-2010
It sounds like to be from your posts, that the real underlying issue here is that they are late. You have repeated this over and over again. Wouldn't have been alot easier to just impose a late fee??
Luna 08:43 AM 12-10-2010
"Lie" was the wrong word to use. I should have said they were being deceptive. I also don't care what the parents are doing with their time, but I understand a special agreement was made with these people and they aren't holding up their end. They told a partial truth to get her to agree to take the kids, then at the last minute they were bold enough to tell her what was really happening. I think it was handled very, very well.
legomom922 08:48 AM 12-10-2010
After the daycare parent agreed to only bring the child while they while they were at work, they arrived at daycare and volunteered that they were going to the grocery store and to the gym.

It was not a simple discounted rate, it was contingent on the specific condition that they NOT bring the children when they did not have to work. In truth, she is extending herself by keeping them during the service.

I'm not really sure what part of this you don't get.
Because in her initial post she said the DCM texted her and told her she wasnt going to work and that she would be there between 8 & 9! So why wasn't DCM told THEN DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS UNTIL 2! I can only assume at this point, that Bently did not tell her that and so DCM thought it was ok. I don't think that DCM would have shown up this am if she had been told not to come. So what did Bently tell her last night??
nannyde 09:04 AM 12-10-2010
UPDATE:

You have a good chance of them leaving now so be prepared. They will stay if you go back to the 125 a week but if you double it they will most likely leave.

These kinds of arrangements don't normally work.

When you do a "discount" it is only a "discount" to YOU. They don't see a discount they see THE RATE. For them THE RATE has been 125 a week for two kids. They likey that.

The only difference between them being able to use your services on any given day is "words". They just have to come up with the "words" that they are working and then they get a cheap day care. The only thing these guys haven't figured out is how to use words and then have the backdrop of their presentation to you back up the words.

If they would have just shut up about the memorial service and brought the kids to you this morning in work clothes they could have had the whole day of day care for the same rate as they would have today when they can only use a few hours. They would learn quickly enough to just do the acting for you to back up their words and then they can have what they want.

It would be HIGHLY unusual to have a family that got by with cheap day care to double the price to get what they have managed to get for half the price just weeks before. They can say THE WORDS to you that they will do it but most likely that was to get you to give them a YES today. If it got you to keep the kids right when they dropped off today.. mission accomplished.

Then tomorrow they can go back to bartering the already great rate. They have only given you words that they will double the rate ... when they start PAYING that... it will most likely change quickly. Words: free Double rate: $$$$

There's no discounts in day care. To the parents your discount is just THE RATE. They have had THE RATE for a while now and they aren't going to be willing to double it so they can have more me time without you asking their whereabouts. Another 500 a month in fees is not gonna happen. They may pay for a bit till they get another cheap rate from someone else but they will most likely not be in your house two months from now paying double.

Don't do discounts that have words to determine your services. You would have been better off to contract with them for two or three days a week for the 125 and had them pay extra if they needed extra. That way it wouldn't be based on their words "I'm working today" but a hard fast number of actual days you would do for that amount of money.
TGT09 09:17 AM 12-10-2010
Regardless of whether they are telling the truth about the service I completely agree with you Bentley (not that you need me to). I understood what you said since the beginning not to mention after you explained the circumstances of how much they were paying....to me I would have never done "that" much but I have been known to offer my loyal parents discounts.

It is funny that now that it helps them out that they have enough money to pay you the whole amount. Love how that works.
legomom922 09:19 AM 12-10-2010
Maybe I am the minority here, but the way that I am interpeting this story, is that the DCM was being very honest and upfront about what she was doing and why. I mean it's not like she did show up in work clothes and said I'm going to "work"now and then you find out later that she never went to work. If that had been the case, I would understand being upset, but she was upfront about it when she texted the night before. I feel she is almost being put into a position to lie about whats she's doing as punishment for being honest. I would have been more like gee I'm sorry you have a memorial today, but thanks for your honesty, see you at 9., and leave it like that. But thats me.
QualiTcare 09:32 AM 12-10-2010
I am so confused...they WERE NOT paying for full time care. They were paying less than 1/2 price, for work time ONLY hours. Which was a total kindess on the part of the provider.

If you ask for and accept a handout, shouldn't you at least abide by the terms of that agreement????

It makes literally no sense to me that this is being compared to someone paying for full time care and doing what they want during daycare hours.
i'm not confused

if you'll notice - i said there's no point in debating it bc they obviously disagree - period. that was my point.
jen 09:51 AM 12-10-2010
Because in her initial post she said the DCM texted her and told her she wasnt going to work and that she would be there between 8 & 9! So why wasn't DCM told THEN DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS UNTIL 2! I can only assume at this point, that Bently did not tell her that and so DCM thought it was ok. I don't think that DCM would have shown up this am if she had been told not to come. So what did Bently tell her last night??
When daycare mom initially texted, she said she had a Memorial Service, she did not indicate what time the service was; Had daycare Mom called and said, "we're going here, here, and then there," I'm sure B would have said, "no, that isn't our agreement."

This would have been upfront and honest:

"We have a service at 2pm, but we'd like to do this, this and this--we know our agreement is work only, but we'd be happy to pay your regular daily rate for today."
legomom922 10:17 AM 12-10-2010
she said she had a Memorial Service, she did not indicate what time the service was
Where did you read that? I did not read see that anywhere.....
BentleysBands 10:32 AM 12-10-2010
Jen and the others, i appreciate you guys understanding what i clearly was asking.....Legomom, just let it go. you dont get it and seems you wont...its over and done with. i made my decision and if they stay fine, if they leave , good ridence ....i could care less either way honestly.

and nan, tho i apprecaite and understand what your saying, things like that dont happen around here....it may in your area but not here. sorry to say your wrong! not everything you 'think' or write all the time is TRUTH....its like a novel you copy/paste...IMO
countrymom 10:42 AM 12-10-2010
I understand what you are saying. But from now on, don't give anyone a discount rate, in my book everyone should be charged the same REGARDLESS of their situation, because I still have bills to pay and food to provide, so if I charge less, do I only feed the children half of what their parents pay, kwim
second, this is why I don't charge for the spot, (I do have one mom who does this crazy thing but if I'm full she can't bring him) its so much less of a headache, that way I don't have the problem of parents lying, or picking up late and so forth. I also ask when are they coming to get their children, I don't play around anymore.
I think it was wrong what they did, they first said they were going to a memorial and told you at what time they would bring the kids and then show up early and then say they have other things to do, totally disrepectful, what happens if you had things to do or only made enough food for the children that where there, some people just don't think.
Missani 11:05 AM 12-10-2010
Wow! This is crazy! But, I did just want to say that I agree with OP. I have a dck here and the mother works nights Sun/Mon/Tue. The dck is here 5 days/week and they pay for a full time spot. I know mom is home doing as she pleases Th/Fri and it doesn't bother me a bit because they pay for the spot. However, the parents have been late picking the child up twice in the last week and both were on days that mom is not working. Last Friday they were an HOUR late past my closing time, and yesterday they were almost 20 minutes late past my closing time. To me, that is inexcusable because the mom is home and could plan to pick up her child before I close. It bothers me. It does not bother me a bit that she is shopping, taking a nap, whatever she is doing during my hours. It ONLY bothers me that her child is here past my closing time, and I am forced to change my evening plans because of it. If she is home and not doing anything, she can plan to get here by 5:30-end of story!

OP was nice enough to offer a reduced rate in exchange for essentially contracted hours. The parents should abide by the contracted (in this case=working) hours or pay extra. End of story. Who cares what they were doing when. If they need care beyond the agreed hours, they have to pay more.
legomom922 11:45 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Missani:
It ONLY bothers me that her child is here past my closing time, and I am forced to change my evening plans because of it.
I agree, and one way that you could end this happening is call someone on their authorizied pickup list, and tell them so and so was supposed to be here at 5 and so and so is not here and I have to leave because I have an obligation. Then you can also tack on a late fee and also a OT fee. I'm sure they would never do this to you again because 1. you embarrassed them by calling someone to pick up, and 2. It cost them extra money. I charge $5 late fee and the OT fee is $10, so I in this senerio, I would charge DCM $15 and embarras her. There isa no way on earth I am going to miss my plans due to someone elses lack of responsibility, unless it was a emergency, and even then I would still call for a pick up.
Tags:late fee, payment options
Reply Up