Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fake Inquiries
Baby Beluga 04:24 PM 08-28-2017
How do you handle what you feel are fake inquiries?

I am currently speaking to a parent, who is asking odd questions in an odd order. As soon as I read her first message I got a gut feeling she wasn't seeking care but was rather fishing for info.

How do you handle these?
sharlan 04:30 PM 08-28-2017
Delete and move on.

I got the same message, same email address from 4 different phone numbers yesterday. North Dakota, Mississippi, Washington, and Tennessee.
Mom2Two 04:36 PM 08-28-2017
Yes, grrr. I'm pretty sure I had someone fishing the whole Summer. They called and pretended to be from different towns. Like, who looks for daycare miles and miles away. What a waste of my time!

If I ever feel this way again, I want a strategy in place on how to get rid of them. I'm just not sure what it is yet. I might send an application and vet them first before I give too many details over the phone or by email.

I'm just waiting for the new, competing daycare to open up near by.
Baby Beluga 04:44 PM 08-28-2017
Yeah, I don't mind sharing info with a fellow provider. We all learn from one another (I've learned a TON from you all!) But what bothers me is when they start asking for specifics in a sneaky way.

I would much rather get a message that says "I saw your business FB page and like the activities you implement in your program. I am thinking of opening my own FCC, would you mind if I picked your brain?" Or something to that effect.

I too want a plan for how to deal with this.
daycare 06:11 PM 08-28-2017
I have had this. I just tell them that this is what the tour is for. I then ask them would you like to come Tuesday or Wednesday. then stay quiet. they always have a reason they can't come. From there I just close it up and tell them to call me back when they figure out a time to meet me and I will be more than happy to go over everything with thim.

Years ago I actually had a DCP come to me posing as a parent and I just flat out asked her. We are now really good friends.
LysesKids 06:55 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Yes, grrr. I'm pretty sure I had someone fishing the whole Summer. They called and pretended to be from different towns. Like, who looks for daycare miles and miles away. What a waste of my time!

If I ever feel this way again, I want a strategy in place on how to get rid of them. I'm just not sure what it is yet. I might send an application and vet them first before I give too many details over the phone or by email.

I'm just waiting for the new, competing daycare to open up near by.
Actually most of my clients drive or have driven from the next county over... some up to 35 minutes away. That said, I give all my info, inc rates, on my website & avoid phone calls until someone sends me my contact page with their info
284878 10:07 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
How do you handle what you feel are fake inquiries?

I am currently speaking to a parent, who is asking odd questions in an odd order. As soon as I read her first message I got a gut feeling she wasn't seeking care but was rather fishing for info.

How do you handle these?
You could just mess with them.
Answer the question as vague as possible, if you need help with a question post it here and get help with it.
Or Answer the question with a question.
Then respond with some out there question that are still professional but at the same time making one wonder why you would need to know that.
Cat Herder 04:46 AM 08-29-2017
I don't answer blocked or private numbers. (have not figured out a defense for spoofed numbers, yet )

I answer public information (posted on state page: price, location, ages, services, hours and inspection history) and offer to add them to my wait list for notification of an upcoming opening. When I ask to verify their name from caller ID, fakers hang up.

I got a job offer from a number that called for information the previous summer for a center director job. "Someone" gave her my information. I just could not afford the paycut.
LysesKids 04:57 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't answer blocked or private numbers. (have not figured out a defense for spoofed numbers, yet )

I answer public information (posted on state page: price, location, ages, services, hours and inspection history) and offer to add them to my wait list for notification of an upcoming opening. When I ask to verify their name from caller ID, fakers hang up.

I got a job offer from a number that called for information the previous summer for a center director job. "Someone" gave her my information. I just could not afford the paycut.
Mr Number is a free download... it literally hangs up on scam/spam & fake #s on the first ring. I called one back yesterday & the # was disconnected so I know they were rerouting, but the app caught it. It will also show the name & number of legit phones and let those calls go thru especially if it's a number listed in your contacts. best part is Mr Number also blocks scam #s and will pop up anytime that # tries again ( showing they tried to call), but won't let it thru at all
Cat Herder 05:11 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Mr Number is a free download... it literally hangs up on scam/spam & fake #s on the first ring. I called one back yesterday & the # was disconnected so I know they were rerouting, but the app caught it. It will also show the name & number of legit phones and let those calls go thru especially if it's a number listed in your contacts. best part is Mr Number also blocks scam #s and will pop up anytime that # tries again ( showing they tried to call), but won't let it thru at all
That sounds awesome! Ugh. I am going to have to retire my old flip phone. I really like the $30 a month unlimited, though. First world problems.
284878 06:17 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
One time I got a rerouted call that was routed through my sister's phone number. I missed the call so I called my sister right back. She had not called me, she even checked recent calls and she didn't pocket dial me. Few days later I got a call from a man and he asked me why I just called him. I laughed and told him I didn't call him that he was just spammed. Explained what had happened the days before with my sister. My sister's number and my number are only a few digits off.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 08-29-2017
EVERYTHING/ALL INFORMATION other than personal or individual details are on my website.

Upon initial contact I refer families to my website. Ask them to read it over and if I sound like the type of program they are looking for and I offer the services they need, they can fill out the contact form and I'll call or e-mail them to chat some more.

Works great as only those that truly want to take the time to chat will take it beyond just perusing my site.

It's my first step in weeding out those that aren't the right fit.
LysesKids 08:46 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
EVERYTHING/ALL INFORMATION other than personal or individual details are on my website.

Upon initial contact I refer families to my website. Ask them to read it over and if I sound like the type of program they are looking for and I offer the services they need, they can fill out the contact form and I'll call or e-mail them to chat some more.

Works great as only those that truly want to take the time to chat will take it beyond just perusing my site.

It's my first step in weeding out those that aren't the right fit.
This is how I do it... saves me time having a Meet & Greet if the family isn't a great fit, plus it goes faster since they already know policies in advance
daycarediva 09:19 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That sounds awesome! Ugh. I am going to have to retire my old flip phone. I really like the $30 a month unlimited, though. First world problems.
I upgraded to an iphone5, (needed it for parent communication apps) and have straight talk, $35/month unlimited, and the phone was $50.
LysesKids 10:31 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I upgraded to an iphone5, (needed it for parent communication apps) and have straight talk, $35/month unlimited, and the phone was $50.
I bought my phone for 100 and have unlimited thru ATT ( go phone); automatic monthly pay makes it 40 month plus tax - identical plan to straight talk, but it reaches in places I travel that straight talk won't (unless you pay for a separate # - I learned that 5 years ago... worked in one state, crossed the border & had a dead phone & was told I had to get a separate # for the week I was out of their area? how are you out of area if can get another # that will work - I don't think so)
ColorfulSunburst 11:21 AM 08-29-2017
I visited a few daycare around me as a "potential client".
I wanted to see what quality of service they provide, how they run an interview. I wanted to see kids art. I also wanted to know the average rate in my area. I did not ask to give me any documents for an enrollment.
When I opened my own daycare I set my rate as 125% of max rate that I found during my visits. I was sure that my program worth it and no-one around provide this kind of service.

I do not care if some of my visitors are fake. If they are better than I am they will win anyway. If they are not so good as I am, they will not win anyway If they are as good as I am, we will be in a competition. It is a business. Do not see any problem to have here some fake visitors. From time to time.
Tags:calling providers, inquiry
Reply Up