Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter Help Please - Independent Skills
Baby Beluga 07:51 AM 11-06-2018
I want to send out a letter to all parents letting them know that their children are working on independently doing the skills below and to please work with their child at home on these skills as well. So many parents dress their children (I have an almost 4 year old who struggles to put his pants on!) and do these items for their children because it is easier and faster. I also want to tie in these skills (pulling pants and underwear up/down) as the first steps in learning to potty train as I have 3 who are not trained yet and these skills needing to be mastered before going to Kinder.

Wording help please? I am drawing a blank.

Skills we're working on:

Putting jackets on and off, zipping jackets and hanging on their hook

Taking shoes on/off and putting on shoe tray

Pulling up/down pants, underwear, and pull-up
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 11-06-2018
I have kids that struggle with this too.

Too many parents worried about the academic stuff and not the stuff that actually sets the foundation for the academic stuff.

"My kid can do algebra but can't put their own pants on."
nanglgrl 10:07 AM 11-06-2018
There are a lot of skills that are being taught doing these things. Problem solving, fine motor, coordination to name a few. However, I try to impress upon parents that the main thing they get out of accomplishing these goals is confidence and independence..both skills needed to potty train IMO.

That said, they don’t listen. My biggest struggle right now is parents buying shoes that their children have no hope of getting on themselves. Trying to impress on them that their child sees the other children (and much younger children) tending to their own needs while they struggle and are unsuccessful and how that’s not good for their confidence is a lost cause.

The children that have been with me since they were 1 can do all self help at 18 months, the children that start later often struggle and I hate it. Especially when the parents just don’t even try.
lovemykidstoo 10:09 AM 11-06-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have kids that struggle with this too.

Too many parents worried about the academic stuff and not the stuff that actually sets the foundation for the academic stuff.

"My kid can do algebra but can't put their own pants on."
Amen! Like the 4 1/2 yr old this morning that stood there with each leg 1 at a time went up in the air while momma took off his "shoesies"? I HATE that!
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 11-06-2018
Leapfrog wrote a list that is pretty family friendly. https://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/learn...ills-checklist

This is a great one (free printable) - https://teachingmama.org/wp-content/...Checklist1.pdf Look under health and wellness.
Ariana 02:03 PM 11-06-2018
I address all of this stuff face to face and have even told parents to stop and let the kid do it him/herself. “Show mommy how you can put on your own shoes” for example. I just had a conversation with a mom letting her know that I am working on X and I encourage her to do the same because ‘we want her to be doing this by 2 years old’. I also posted a milestones checklist for parents to look at on my private FB page.

Is this something you have time to do? Maybe have a goal to chat with one parent per week about their child? Is there a newsletter you could send out listing the skills and ages and then ask for cooperation at home? I just don’t find that parents take it seriously when in written form but face to face works for me,
kendallina 04:15 PM 11-06-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I address all of this stuff face to face and have even told parents to stop and let the kid do it him/herself. “Show mommy how you can put on your own shoes” for example. I just had a conversation with a mom letting her know that I am working on X and I encourage her to do the same because ‘we want her to be doing this by 2 years old’. I also posted a milestones checklist for parents to look at on my private FB page.

Is this something you have time to do? Maybe have a goal to chat with one parent per week about their child? Is there a newsletter you could send out listing the skills and ages and then ask for cooperation at home? I just don’t find that parents take it seriously when in written form but face to face works for me,
I do this face to face as well and I find it works with my families. I have often told parents, "this is Johnny's year of learning to do it all himself!". Then I tell them a big long list and includes things like putting his own dish in the sink, getting his own coat and shoes on, etc etc etc. I encourage them to be creative at home with thinking of things that he can do on his own. And I make sure to tell them how GOOD he will feel that he can do these things on his own.
storybookending 04:49 PM 11-06-2018
My brother to my niece just last night at home as told by my SIL

Brother: “okay sit still I’m going to put your jacket on”
Niece “no I can do it myself, that’s what myname says”

Indoorvoice 05:55 AM 11-07-2018
I pretty much take over all the responsibility as soon as parents walk in. As they come in I take the kids' hands and walk them to the end of the entry way as parents sign in. Then I instruct them to take shoes and coats off and put them away themselves with as little help as possible from me. I have a small daycare though so it's doable. If parents come over to try to help I'll interject with something like "show dad how you hang it up all by yourself! You can do it." parents sometimes object and really want to help if they struggle, but I just keep interrupting. "say bye to dad!" Probably rude, but I don't care right now. As far as the pants and stuff, I just usually mention something at pick up every single day. "We really worked hard on dressing at diaper changes today"
Baby Beluga 07:48 AM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I do this face to face as well and I find it works with my families. I have often told parents, "this is Johnny's year of learning to do it all himself!". Then I tell them a big long list and includes things like putting his own dish in the sink, getting his own coat and shoes on, etc etc etc. I encourage them to be creative at home with thinking of things that he can do on his own. And I make sure to tell them how GOOD he will feel that he can do these things on his own.
I've tried the face to face...it's not working I thought maybe if I wrote a letter and explained why it needed done it may help. I am finding my current parents need explanations for this stuff. But at the same time, if face to face isn't working...I fear they will disregard a letter too.
Reply Up