Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination On The Spot Over The Phone
happykidschildcare 05:27 PM 03-05-2011
Ok so friday I had this DCB that is always the last kid to get picked up and the parents have been late more then a dozen times.
First off let me start with they told me last week they were taking this week for vacation, my PHB states you must take 1 week consecutive, they were out all week then he pops up at my door friday 10 am! Im like I didnt expect you at all this week, but allowed to let him in....Of course friday is my payday and as usual the DCD didnt have payment, and tells me grandma or whoever picks him up will bring it. ( Ive heard this about 10 times and usually grandma doesnt know until I tell her so she has to go get her checkbook out of her car and come back in which just erks me off, cuz its not her responsibilty at all, and I shouldnt even have to ask to be paid! So anyhow Fridays coming to a close and all my kids have been picked up by 5 pm friday all EXCEPT this DCB thats always last and he whines why am I always last, I hate being last!
I close at 5:30 and 5:30 comes and goes so I text grandma and say DCD says your bringing payment and are you on your way? wait 10 min, no response. Then I text DCD at 5:45 saying I close at 5:30 and DCB is still here?
he text back saying he's sorry and he doesnt know where his mom is and someone will be on their way. Then @ 6 pm I text him to tell whomever is picking up can bring payment + plus late charges and didnt hear back. Anyhow he finally got picked up at 6:10 after he leaves the dad calls me asking why is there late charges??? and being really direspectful over the phone. I told him if he or his wife would read the PHB's I hand out every Sept they would know etc...
He gets real wise ass and says something in the effect to where in the PHB does it says this or that and the other...at this point Im really flustered and I really wanted to speak my mind, but I held my tongue and simply said excuse me...
I can no longer work with you so I am terminating our contract, then he says no you have to give me 2 wks notice...I was like are you serious? I said I have given you a handful of warnings about late payments and late pick ups I have been patient enough for your childs sake, But now with all your disrespect and blatent rudeness I dont owe you any notice! it says in my PHB if you are any ONE of these 3 things I can terminate at anytime!!!!! He was swearing and yelling, so I said this conversation is over I'm hanging up now. and thats exactly what I did.

Phhhhhhhhhhhhh....I feel better getting this all out, anyhow any feedback??? I truly appreciate.
My big question is should I type up a formal termination letter and mail it to them? There still is an unpaid balance also, should I bring that up in the letter?
Ive never in all my 7 years have had to terminate someone like this before.

some more facts...This DCB is 4 1/2 He's been in my care since he was 9 mos old. So Ive worked for these ppl for alongtime. Ive always had issues from day one they are young parents with no communication between the two of them. Ive seen the mom pick up or drop off less then 10 times through the whole 3+ years. To put it lightly she never wanted kids and was talked into it so she put all the responsibility on her hubby & his mom... And he was sorta rude to me last time this happened and I charged him late fees when he came to pick up and he mumbled under his breath something, and I said say again, and he was like nevermind...I told myself ONE more inncident and Im done.
For me things will be easier, my days now will end by 5 - 5:15 I close at 5:30
I have no issues with any of my other DCP being late, Ive been blessed with some really great folks. My only concern is these ppl bad mouthing me, because the way it all went down..
Now Im just blabbing...anyhow if you have time, id love to know ya'lls thoughts! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
snowball 05:41 PM 03-05-2011
I think you did the right thing. I would terminate if a parent was consistently late. The swearing would get an immediate termination in my home.

I'm willing to bet you feel like a weight has been lifted.
SilverSabre25 06:58 PM 03-05-2011
Um, yeah, I think I would have handled it exactly the way you did!

If you're licensed you might want to call/email your licensor or whoever and give them a heads up, in case they try to file a phony complaint against you. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good for you getting rid of someone who has been so unpleasant and difficult to work with!
Abigail 07:59 PM 03-05-2011
This must have happened yesterday now that it is Saturday night. I guess I would give an immediate termination notice without reasons just to have it in paper and send it to them if they are all paid up. If they still owe you I would make sure you get their account up to date and mention in the letter what they owe and give them a week or two weeks to pay it before you turn it into small claims court.
happykidschildcare 10:19 PM 03-05-2011
Yep it happened friday after I closed, or was suppose to be closed. So I should mail them a termination letter, and yes there is also a balance due. Anyone have an idea of what to say in the letter? And Yes Im licensed and I was thinking about calling my licensor just in case they decided to say something stupid to her.

And even though Im still a little ticked about how it all went, I know my days will be alot easier not having to deal with the whole thing anymore...
Abigail 10:29 PM 03-05-2011
You will be happier and I agree with you to call your agency and just give them the heads up. I would do a simple no-reason-why termination letter as of yesterdays date for your records and for them. I would mail it to avoid the weird moments of handing them a "here is your termination notice" scene.

Do they need to return to pick up any supplies or extra clothing or art work or anything? I would give them a balance due letter then. I'm not sure what you would say in your letter. I'm good at making letters sound good, not writing them. LOL
Candyland 10:52 PM 03-05-2011
Have the parents always been this way with you? You said you've had the little boy since he was 9 months. Just curious.

I'm with you...no-one should have to tolerate being treated like that. And I agree, you must feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Don't worry about what others may say...I'm sure those parents weren't like that with you only. Just go about being the best DC Mom to those kiddies you have with you.

I don't know what to tell you about the letter, money due, etc...I have a feeling they're not going to pay you at all. So, you could always file a report of some sort just so you have a record; and while everything's still fresh in your mind...write down all that happened on Friday.

Take care,
Candyland
QualiTcare 10:56 PM 03-05-2011
you're a better woman than i am - i would've cussed him right back. of course, i think i was a sailor in my past life.

i definitely agree that you should call your licensor AND send them a certified letter of termination/balance due.

abigail IS good at making letters sound good so if you want to write what you think/feel i'm sure she can give some good outsider advice on how to clean it up.

i would make it short and sweet.

Dear X,

As per our conversation on March 5, 2011 our contract has been terminated.

(if you are confident in your contract and reasons for immediate termination, i would insert the statement HERE from your contract or attach a copy and state for the following reasons)

My records indicate that I provided childcare from "august 2008 through march 4, 2010" I have not received payment for the week of _________. Your total balance due is _____.

You may write a check to "mrs. t's childcare" or send payment in the form of a money order to:

1010 pacific avenue
blah blah blah
blah blah, TX

Payment is due by "march 20, 2011."

Sincerely,

mrs. T

it all depends on your dynamic with this family. i probably wouldn't send a letter because i'd be a big enough biatch on the phone that they'd know we'd be in court if they didn't pay. if you really don't want to and don't plan to talk to this family again, i would send a short letter (like listed above, but maybe better). it doesn't say anything incriminating - it says nothing but the facts.

good luck!! keep us updated!
happykidschildcare 01:23 PM 03-08-2011
Yes Ive had DCB for 3 years, back when I accepted pt spots. And My hours were different. I stopped doing pt or drop in a few yrs ago and I cut my hours from being open til 6 pm to 5:30 and I let everyone know and gave plenty of notice so they can make other arrangements if it didnt work for them. For some reason I think this DCD thought the rules didnt apply to them.
Just last month I had to charge him late fee's and was texting him over the phone and he texted back that he doesnt do business over the phone and was really rude, then apologized the next day saying he was haivng a bad day. I told myself that day that if one more incident came up where he was rude to me I wasnt going to take it.
So Ya I was prepared to let them go. Then when he showed up FRIDAY at the end of the week which was suppose to be his vacation week, and on top of that had no $ for that day, I was a lil p'd off to start.

So they have a balance of $125 which they most likely will not pay but I went ahead and put that in the term letter. I'm just relieved to have them gone, the part time spot was a loss in $ and communication between who's job was it to p/u and the p/u late was a pain in my behind!

I mailed the letter today we will see how this plays out. I will let you know.
wdmmom 02:48 PM 03-08-2011
I think you were very justified. In fact, I would go as far as re-vamping your existing contract. List your hours and clearly state that you charge $1.00 per minute beyond closing time and ENFORCE it!

As far as the money, personally, I'd let it wash.

But ask yourself this:

Does this family deserve anymore of your time, or effort?

If you think so, write ONE letter with demand for payment. (and maybe even a "sorry it had to come to this..." if you honestly feel that way.)

I'm certain you won't get any response unless the DCD is the type to run off at the mouth again.

If you can afford the loss, consider yourself the "winner" in this situation!

Good luck!
Tags:termination disrespectful
Reply Up