Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking Parents To Pitch In On A Supply Cost
Sunny Day 04:25 PM 03-10-2011
So it is "Dog Week" next week at daycare and I had this fun idea of getting the kids small stuffed dogs and letting them "adopt" them, we would then take care of them, name them and look after them for the week. I thought it would be a neat way to teach them to care for a pet (they are all 2.5-3yrs). I went to the bargain store and bought pet dishes, collars and leashes for each of them and was planning on getting the stuffed toys there too, but they didn't have them. I've had so many parties, birthdays, etc. lately that my budget is completely shot and I can't afford to go out and spend $8-10 on stuffed toys because I can't find them at the dollar store! I was thinking of explaining to the parents what I would like to do and asking them to pitch in $5/each for the stufffies. Have any of you ever done this? I have never asked the parents for $ even when we do field trips, etc. I always manage to foot the bill, but I just can't do it this time. What do you think? Is it wrong to ask them to help pay? Sorry that got long! Thanks!!
daycare 04:56 PM 03-10-2011
so here is what I do. I don't ask, I tell them... But I give them plenty of time, like one month notice.
I will send out the monthly news letter and say, this month we will be doing extra painting for our lessons and activities. Because of all the extra activities that we have been doing, we will need for each family to bring one box of 24 pack crayons and 1 bottle of paint.

If you wish not to purchase these items, and have some from home that you would like to dontate, that would be great too.

Paint list-
kelly-blue
mark-red
jason-white
brain-black
kayla-yellow
Please do not purchase paints from the $.99 cent store or $ tree. In my past experience, these paints WERE not washable even though stated there were.

Sorry I went over board
I think that you could also ask if they have a stuffed dog that they could bring from home.

very cute idea.
kendallina 05:22 PM 03-10-2011
You could get stuffed animals at a thrift store and then just wash them. We have a thrift store here whose entire back wall is covered in stuffed animals and they are only $1-3 each.
Candyland 06:43 PM 03-10-2011
I think it's a cute idea, but I (as a parent) would have preferred it I received a note well in advance asking for a donation.
The other ideas are nice...either purchase some gently used stuffed animals from a thrift store or have the kids bring their favorite puppy from home.
ammama 08:19 PM 03-10-2011
You could get each child to bring a stuffy from home - most households have dozens of them lying around anyway, and the parents would probably be glad to see them gone
nannyde 11:42 PM 03-10-2011
Go for it.

I ask parents to bring big ziplocs, construction paper, paper, and paper towels. They happily do this. Just ask every three months.
countrymom 02:50 AM 03-11-2011
what a cute idea, I think I'll steal your idea for next week. I would look at thrift stores or ask the parents to bring an animal from home.
Sunny Day 05:27 AM 03-11-2011
Thanks everyone! I talked to the parents and they were all more than happy to help out!
thecrazyisout 06:14 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Sunny Day:
So it is "Dog Week" next week at daycare and I had this fun idea of getting the kids small stuffed dogs and letting them "adopt" them, we would then take care of them, name them and look after them for the week. I thought it would be a neat way to teach them to care for a pet (they are all 2.5-3yrs). I went to the bargain store and bought pet dishes, collars and leashes for each of them and was planning on getting the stuffed toys there too, but they didn't have them. I've had so many parties, birthdays, etc. lately that my budget is completely shot and I can't afford to go out and spend $8-10 on stuffed toys because I can't find them at the dollar store! I was thinking of explaining to the parents what I would like to do and asking them to pitch in $5/each for the stufffies. Have any of you ever done this? I have never asked the parents for $ even when we do field trips, etc. I always manage to foot the bill, but I just can't do it this time. What do you think? Is it wrong to ask them to help pay? Sorry that got long! Thanks!!
You could say,,,,the week of ??? we will be learning about taking care of pets. Please take your child to the stuffed pet store and bring it to daycare on ........ If you need to purchase the pet, please do not spend more than $5....

This might be cute for the parents to go with the kids to adopt their stuffed animal pet...

I am thinking out loud here so hopefully this is helpful
Tags:cost of supplies
Reply Up