Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Since Our Royal Wedding Thread Poofed Away
nannyde 07:57 AM 04-28-2011
Let's start a new one.

Are any of you guys watching and celebrating the wedding?
Meeko 08:00 AM 04-28-2011
I'll be sneaking off to watch every second I get. I'm a transplanted Brit and gotta get me my little bit of home! I grew up only 20 miles outside London.
WDW 08:10 AM 04-28-2011
Planning to watch it... going to let the kiddos see a little of it and then we are going to make crowns and have a Royal Tea.
Stacy214 08:37 AM 04-28-2011
YEP! I'll be up at 4:30 tuned in .... I just have 2 infants so my TV will be on most of the day
Zoe 08:41 AM 04-28-2011
I don't have cable at all, but thankfully youTube is streaming the whole thing and will be available after the fact as well. I'm sorry, but I'm NOT getting up at 5, so I'll tune in at 9 and watch it then. Can't wait to see her dress!
AnythingsPossible 08:48 AM 04-28-2011
Frankly I could care less. I don't care what she's going to wear, I don't care who is on the guest list, or where they are going for their honeymoon. But that's just me!!
nannyde 08:49 AM 04-28-2011
We are having a HUGE celebration

We are doing a REAL tea party with real wedding cake!!!! One of my dcm's is a wonderful baker and has offered to make us a celebration cake.

We went to Burger King yesterday to get crowns... and are "bedazzling" them as we speak. The kids are doing "Wills and Katie" coloring pages.

For lunch we will have tea sandwiches, scones, raspberries. For desert we will have cake, strawberry sundaes with strawberry sauce (surrender to the pink)

We will have the wedding going non stop on the JumboTron TV and may actually perform a few weddings ceremonies before days end.

The little girls are coming in and bringing their "royal" ware so they can get their inner Princess on
Stacy214 08:57 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

We are doing a REAL tea party with real wedding cake!!!! One of my dcm's is a wonderful baker and has offered to make us a celebration cake.

We went to Burger King yesterday to get crowns... and are "bedazzling" them as we speak. The kids are doing "Wills and Katie" coloring pages.

For lunch we will have tea sandwiches, scones, raspberries. For desert we will have cake, strawberry sundaes with strawberry sauce (surrender to the pink)

We will have the wedding going non stop on the JumboTron TV and may actually perform a few weddings ceremonies before days end.

The little girls are coming in and bringing their "royal" ware so they can get their inner Princess on
That sounds wonderful! This is historical and they are getting to be a part of it.
MG&Lsmom 09:14 AM 04-28-2011
I have 2 little boys who could care less. But my own 2 DDs will be watching the second they get up until it's time for school. And I'm sure we'll watch it several times before they will be done. Thank goodness for Tivo!

Nan I LOVE your celebration. We have nothing going on tomorrow night so maybe we'll have a family celebration and watch it again
Meeko 09:21 AM 04-28-2011

I'm a Brit, Nannyde and you are putting me to shame LOL!!!
missnikki 09:25 AM 04-28-2011
I hope I don't offend anyone, seriously I don't...but I feel compelled to say the following:

I am an American Patriot.
I am worried for my country.
I am ashamed of certain aspects of our American culture that indicate we are moving away from a positive world view of ourselves.
I am getting to the point that I resent holidays for the commercial circus they have become.
I try very hard to appreciate the true spirit of a cause for celebration, and I am very glad that Prince Harry found someone to marry, but (please don't hate me) he has ZERO bearing on my life. He didn't bat an eye when I got married, he hasn't made any proclamations that I am affected by, he has done nothing to foster a mutual respect between us...so....good for him. In my humble opinion, he is an heir to a figurehead. Big whoop.
That being said, I think royalty is spiffy and hey, I'm all about sparkly tiaras.

I'm sorry, I have been holding this in for far too long.
Stacy214 10:02 AM 04-28-2011
It's fine and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and you make very good points . My daughter basically said those same words to me ... and also threw in some stuff about the economy and all the other negative crap going on in the world....

What I told her is that we can't change things and they are getting married, blessings from the US or not. It's history and wonderful and to just take a day to enjoy some happiness and prettiness , eat drink and be merry...for just a day and forget all the negative crap going on in the world. That's what I'll be doing I think it'll be a nice start to my weekend (I have a wedding to go to on Saturday...one in June....mine in July and another in November.. So I'm all about wedding's this year
DCMom 10:35 AM 04-28-2011
I was a Diana-drama junkie back in the day; I felt so bad for those boys when she died, I watched her wedding and her funeral, so yeah I will probably watch Prince William get married too ~ at least long enough to see 'the dress'

I'm certainly not making a day-long celebration of it, but I will watch at least some of it.

Miss Nikki, I totally get where you are coming from. I feel the same way most days, but my 'Diana Addiction' will resurface tomorrow, I'm sure, and I'm just going to be happy for William and Kate and spend a little time peeking into a world that is not mine.

No harm done in that.
Meeko 10:47 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I hope I don't offend anyone, seriously I don't...but I feel compelled to say the following:

I am an American Patriot.
I am worried for my country.
I am ashamed of certain aspects of our American culture that indicate we are moving away from a positive world view of ourselves.
I am getting to the point that I resent holidays for the commercial circus they have become.
I try very hard to appreciate the true spirit of a cause for celebration, and I am very glad that Prince Harry found someone to marry, but (please don't hate me) he has ZERO bearing on my life. He didn't bat an eye when I got married, he hasn't made any proclamations that I am affected by, he has done nothing to foster a mutual respect between us...so....good for him. In my humble opinion, he is an heir to a figurehead. Big whoop.
That being said, I think royalty is spiffy and hey, I'm all about sparkly tiaras.

I'm sorry, I have been holding this in for far too long.
I'm British and I am not offended by your opinion. I sometimes roll my eyes at all the pomp that goes along with the royal family.....but then I remind myself that it's part of my heritage and I should enjoy it just for the spectacle of it. They don't have to actually DO anything for me to be able to enjoy it.

I must admit I get amused when my American friends tease me and tell me that the Royal family is useless etc etc. I remind them that America has it's "Royalty" too...only you call it Hollywood..or the NFL....and I fail to see what good they do either!!
Evansmom 10:55 AM 04-28-2011
We'll be watching here! The kids have been talking about it and playing "wedding" all day today. It's so fun! I'm going to record it on my DVR and then play it after breakfast. We are going to have tea while we watch the ceremony etc. I'll probably cut out crowns for us to decorate tomorrow. It will be fun but informal since I only have 2 and 3 year olds!

Then in the afternoon we will have a doggie bday party b/c my dog is 6 tomorrow!!
Meeko 11:03 AM 04-28-2011
I love living in the USA and I think it is a wonderful country. I cried with joy the day I became a US citizen. But I am proud of my British roots too.

However....I have noticed something rather sad in my 30 years here. A general consensus that anything that goes on outside the USA is not relevant or important. It is wonderful to be patriotic. I wave my US flag with the best of them on July 4th.... But I hate to admit this........I DO understand how other countries get annoyed by the ever constant "we're bigger and better than you" vibe they often get from the USA. We may well BE bigger and better...but do we have to announce it? I think I'm better looking than my next door neighbor...but I'm not about to tell her so........

I will be enjoying the fluff and frivolity of the wedding tomorrow. It's nice to forget the troubles of the world for a moment and believe in princes and princesses.......
WDW 11:10 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
We'll be watching here! The kids have been talking about it and playing "wedding" all day today. It's so fun! I'm going to record it on my DVR and then play it after breakfast. We are going to have tea while we watch the ceremony etc. I'll probably cut out crowns for us to decorate tomorrow. It will be fun but informal since I only have 2 and 3 year olds!

Then in the afternoon we will have a doggie bday party b/c my dog is 6 tomorrow!!
Sounds a lot like our day! And I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the dog party! What kind of doggy do you have?
MsMe 11:24 AM 04-28-2011
thanks to nannydes ideas we will be having a smal party here too. We are going to make crowns (construction paper) but I LOVE the BK crown idea we just dont have one here. We will have crowns costumes, wedding dresses, and crown cookies. I think it is a great way to have a littel fun I like to have special days with fun themes breaks up the blah life can get sometimes.

Always love a reason to celebrate!
Stacy214 11:55 AM 04-28-2011
Find out what your Royal title is lol

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/royals/index.html
Meeko 12:20 PM 04-28-2011

Do you have to pay for the BK crowns? How much...details !!!!!!
MyAngels 12:36 PM 04-28-2011
I have been tracing my family tree, and I've found that I've got a number of ancestors from England, so I'm claiming the Royal Family as mine for the day tomorrow .

I enjoy anything involving big puffy dresses and sparkly jewels (you should have seen my wedding dress!). I only have 2 girls in the daycare right now, but they can't wait to see the "real" prince and princess .
nannyde 01:27 PM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Do you have to pay for the BK crowns? How much...details !!!!!!
No

My staff assistant just went in and asked for six and they gave them to us.
nannyde 01:29 PM 04-28-2011
I will be enjoying the fluff and frivolity of the wedding tomorrow. It's nice to forget the troubles of the world for a moment and believe in princes and princesses.......
Us too

I have two little princesses here who are old enough to remember this and believe THEY are real life princesses.
missnikki 02:14 PM 04-28-2011
I love living in the USA and I think it is a wonderful country. I cried with joy the day I became a US citizen. But I am proud of my British roots too.

However....I have noticed something rather sad in my 30 years here. A general consensus that anything that goes on outside the USA is not relevant or important. It is wonderful to be patriotic. I wave my US flag with the best of them on July 4th.... But I hate to admit this........I DO understand how other countries get annoyed by the ever constant "we're bigger and better than you" vibe they often get from the USA. We may well BE bigger and better...but do we have to announce it? I think I'm better looking than my next door neighbor...but I'm not about to tell her so........

At the risk of threadjacking, I'll be short-

I wasn't saying we're bigger and better, or nothing is important outside of the USA. If you knew me, you would know that I'm very interested in current events and international headlines. I don't consider this an international event, that's all. I was only trying to speak for 'the other side of the spectrum' with my annoyance by any person of fame but not talent being followed as though they had contributed anything to society besides themselves. Paris Hilton, Snooki, etc...you had some good examples of 'American royalty' that fit there,too.

And, I would like to apologize for saying the wrong prince's name. I meant no disrespect, I'm admittedly ignorant on the topic.
Meeko 02:32 PM 04-28-2011

I wasn't saying we're bigger and better, or nothing is important outside of the USA. If you knew me, you would know that I'm very interested in current events and international headlines. I don't consider this an international event, that's all. I was only trying to speak for 'the other side of the spectrum' with my annoyance by any person of fame but not talent being followed as though they had contributed anything to society besides themselves. Paris Hilton, Snooki, etc...you had some good examples of 'American royalty' that fit there,too.

And, I would like to apologize for saying the wrong prince's name. I meant no disrespect, I'm admittedly ignorant on the topic.
I didn't mean you personally!! Sorry!! It just tends to be a general thing. Those of us from the "other side of the pond" can be a bit sensitive sometimes!
daycare 02:39 PM 04-28-2011
no i wont watch it unless I want a nap...lol I know I am a party pooper...

I am not a big wedding fan of anyone..............boo on me...

I think I only saw parts of the last one because I slept through that one too...

Im all about the reception......love me some good food and drinks...
daycare 02:40 PM 04-28-2011

I think I only saw parts of the last one because I slept through that one too...

missnikki 02:41 PM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

So true, you said it, times 2
daycare 03:00 PM 04-28-2011
lol I gues i really must not like them it posted twice....
Former Teacher 03:50 PM 04-28-2011
Gosh Nan- you gave me another one of those...why didn't I think of that?!

Looks like I am off to print some coloring pages!
missnikki 05:05 PM 04-28-2011
A peace offering...

Colouring sheets and activity printables for the big day

nannyde 05:22 PM 04-28-2011

I don't think William has had it so easy. Sure he has been rich and famous since he was born but he has also led a life where he hasn't had any privacy or a chance to make his own way. He also lost his mom as a young teenager because she was rich and famous. I think he would trade everything for one day with his Mommy. That's for sure.

I was a Nanny for many years for VERY wealthy people and had a front row seat of what it is like to live very rich. Even as a young woman in my twenties I saw how money could ruin day to day happiness and be in the forefront of every single minute of the day. It has it's awesome advantages.. sure... but it also has a very heavy burden too. The families I worked for had many thousands of families livlihood at their fingertips.. a very heavy weight of responsibility.

I can't imagine living in that money, history, and FAME. The people I worked for were not famous so they could live without having people scrutinizing their every move.

So I will give William the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to live a nobel life and do history well with his reign. I hope he does become King and use his life for good for his country and the planet.

I want the kids to watch it because I think the little girls are old enough to remember it. I think it's a fun thing to do and a little change of pace in our little corner of the world. It doesn't have anything to do with us... just like watching the eagles.. but it's something that is historical that is happening tomorrow and I don't think it will hurt to have a little silly fun around it and pretend......... and celebrate the prince and princess in all of them

MyAngels 08:44 PM 04-28-2011

I definitely see your point about the whole Snooki, Paris Hilton angle. However, not just Prince William, but the entire royal family support and promote many charities and causes, which, at least in my opinion, contributes in a meaningful way to society .
Candyland 09:51 PM 04-28-2011
A peace offering...

awww that was nice!
nannyde 02:40 AM 04-29-2011
It's happening in twenty minutes.... so excited.
Stacy214 05:40 AM 04-29-2011
Ahhhh and it was just like a fairytale !!~!!!
Kaddidle Care 05:46 AM 04-29-2011
Very nice! I didn't think I'd sit in front of the TV for 2 1/2 hours (grabbed a shower in there and got #2 son on the bus before the kiss).

Sigh.. if only Dianna were there to share in the festivities.
Meeko 07:30 AM 04-29-2011
A peace offering...

Meeko 07:32 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
Ahhhh and it was just like a fairytale !!~!!!
Yes it was! I even teared up when she started to walk down the isle!
missnikki 09:35 AM 04-29-2011
OK, you beat me down,people...

I had to click on it, I was thinking of you catching me and felt so guilty...

but I clicked on the dress pics, and Wowsers! she's gorgeous! He looks a little like Val Kilmer in his thinner years, but hey... nothing wrong with that!

And I will proudly say I've gained a newfound respect for the royals.

Fair?
sahm2three 11:48 AM 04-29-2011
I have only one dcg, so I didn't really plan on anything. The bulk of the kids are far too young to care. Dcg would have loved to have had a full blown tea party, but instead I printed out princess coloring sheets for her to color and a crown to cut out and wear. Sad thing is, it fell off and one of the littles grabbed it and tore it which sent her into hysterics. Oy!
DCMom 12:07 PM 04-29-2011
My 9 year old schoolager who comes early was watching the wedding festivities with me this morning. I was explaining how England was different from the US, how their queen was kind of like our President, pointing out who was who, etc, etc when William and Kate came out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace for the first kiss and my dcg looks at her and says ~

"Hey, that Princess kinda looks like you, M"

Well, needless to say, that got my day off to a good start!
broncomom1973 01:26 PM 04-29-2011
There is something very magical about it

I left my TV on last night, woke up at 4:30 a.m. by sheer luck and just in time to see Prince William and Prince Harry walking into Westminster Abby. I watched for an hour then turned the TV off and went back to sleep. I got up this a.m. and turned it on again and am watching the BBC now. My husband thinks it's stupid, but I think it's fascinating and I wish them all the happiness in the world.
Kaddidle Care 02:00 PM 04-29-2011
I have to share this - one of our PreK girls was watching the wedding with her Mom and said "Mom, I want to see her shoes!". Her mother said "Well honey, we'll watch but her dress is very long, you may not see them." Time passed and the child became a little sad so her mother asked her why she wanted to see her shoes. The reply - "I want to see her glass slippers!"

What a precious child!
Tags:royal wedding
Reply Up