Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handprints of fabric....
DaycareMama 05:52 PM 11-20-2011
I want to have the kids put hand prints (turkeys) on fabric. I have never done this before. What is the best kind of paint to use that wont stain hands, or wash out of the fabric? Do I need to wash and dry the fabric first?

walmart sells puffy fabric paint??? Is that what I use? can I paint the kids hands with that? it does say non toxic.
Kaddidle Care 06:11 PM 11-20-2011
Acrylic paints won't wash out of fabric. It also won't wash off their clothes so be very careful with it. Make sure they use smocks and maybe warn the parents to put them in something old/junky that day as you are crafting.

Yes, it's best to wash and dry the fabric - what is it exactly? Sounds cute to do the Turkeys. We were doing placemats with the hand turkeys for our Feast but we just did paper ones that we are laminating.

Puffy paints are acrylic so they will work. I use this type - not sure if this is the brand but it's what I've used for stenciling as well:
http://paintmeplaid.files.wordpress....2810_mp_31.jpg

They need to dry at least 12 hours - 24 hours is best.

Have fun!
mom2many 06:14 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I want to have the kids put hand prints (turkeys) on fabric. I have never done this before. What is the best kind of paint to use that wont stain hands, or wash out of the fabric? Do I need to wash and dry the fabric first?

walmart sells puffy fabric paint??? Is that what I use? can I paint the kids hands with that? it does say non toxic.
For Christmas I have done pot holders for the parents with their child's hand prints and I use fabric paint from Michael's craft store. It's just an acrylic paint that has something added to it, so it won't wash out. It doesn't stain their hands. They recommend that you wash and dry the fabric first, but I have done it w/o and it works just fine.
DaycareMama 06:22 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

Yes, it's best to wash and dry the fabric - what is it exactly? Sounds cute to do the Turkeys. We were doing placemats with the hand turkeys for our Feast but we just did paper ones that we are laminating.

Thank you. Acrylic paint is what I have so Im glad that will work. I found really cute dish towels that are white with a little fall theme decoration on the bottom. I figured it would be a cute parent gift for Thanksgiving to have the kids do that handprint turkey on them with maybe the childs name and age?

Do you think I should leave the childs name and age out?
Candyland 06:29 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
Thank you. Acrylic paint is what I have so Im glad that will work. I found really cute dish towels that are white with a little fall theme decoration on the bottom. I figured it would be a cute parent gift for Thanksgiving to have the kids do that handprint turkey on them with maybe the childs name and age?

Do you think I should leave the childs name and age out?
I would definitely put their name and perhaps November 2011. Sounds so cute!
Kaddidle Care 06:38 PM 11-20-2011
Sounds adorable! Do what you have time for. For the names... hint - Sharpie Markers don't wash out either.

Writing names with scribbles or puff paint is tough - try it on paper before you do the towels.

They have paint markers too but I've found the Sharpies work well.

Do NOT use sharpies on the kid's hands - only for writing names/dates on your project.

Since it's dish towels.. not sure if I'd wash and dry them first. If you do - no fabric softener and you may have to iron the towels before you paint them. Don't iron once painted.
DaycareMama 06:43 PM 11-20-2011
Thanks guys
mom2many 07:12 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Sounds adorable! Do what you have time for. For the names... hint - Sharpie Markers don't wash out either.

Writing names with scribbles or puff paint is tough - try it on paper before you do the towels.

They have paint markers too but I've found the Sharpies work well.

Do NOT use sharpies on the kid's hands - only for writing names/dates on your project.

Since it's dish towels.. not sure if I'd wash and dry them first. If you do - no fabric softener and you may have to iron the towels before you paint them. Don't iron once painted.

I agree! Sharpies are def the way to go! I have tried all the others and they are not easy to use. I even tried to write their names and the date with a thin paint brush one time and found that the sharpie works just as well!
Danielle 07:40 PM 11-20-2011
Just a note about sharpies...they can wash out. I used one to make my son's big brother shirt when my daughter was born. One night he was messy at dinner so I sprayed it with Dreft stain remover. It removed the sharpie too!
Abigail 07:49 PM 11-20-2011
You can always add the name with using the fabric paint and "dot" it. Try it a few times on paper then go to the fabric. We use to do this all the time to our "nurse" shoes as kids with all different colors.
Kaddidle Care 05:42 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
Just a note about sharpies...they can wash out. I used one to make my son's big brother shirt when my daughter was born. One night he was messy at dinner so I sprayed it with Dreft stain remover. It removed the sharpie too!
Well now we know how to remove sharpie marks from clothes! That's great! I'm going to add that as a tag!

Chances are the parents are going to use the towels more for decoration. I'd still go with the sharpies - they can always write it again if they so want/need.

I like using sharpies on water bottles and such too because it doesn't wash off per say but you can scrape it off - sort of like a light plastic coating.
DaycareMama 09:16 AM 11-21-2011
I did use the paint and sharpies like you guys suggested. They came out cute. I will upload a picture soon.

On the sharpie note hairspray will also take it out/off. I have used it many times to remove my dd artwork when the hubby leaves one out
Kaddidle Care 01:21 PM 11-22-2011
Do you have pictures yet?
DaycareMama 02:11 PM 11-22-2011
uploading right now
DaycareMama 02:27 PM 11-22-2011
on dish towels
Attached: Resampled_2011-11-22_17-10-49_542.jpg (42.6 KB) 
Kaddidle Care 02:30 PM 11-22-2011
Very cute! I love to see the kid's faces when they see that their handprint made a turkey! (And how they giggle when you paint their hand because it tickles!)
DaycareMama 02:32 PM 11-22-2011
Thank you. I love that giggle! exspecially when doing their feet
mom2many 02:33 PM 11-22-2011
Those turned out adorable! The parents will LOVE them!
Sunchimes 02:33 PM 11-22-2011
So, so cute!!
Tags:fabric paint, removing sharpie marker from clothes
Reply Up