Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Holiday Gifts to Providers
Unregistered 11:12 AM 11-23-2011
What would daycare providers like as a gift for the holidays?

I want to get something for my DDs daycare provider, but I don't know her all that well to know likes and dislikes, plus I'm bad at coming up with ideas

And what is a good/appropriate price point?
sahm1225 12:07 PM 11-23-2011
I'm a provider and last year I got lots of restaurant gift cards which i LOVED! I didn't end up using them until the summer time and when I did, all I could think of was how grateful I was to to the families for having given me those gift cards.

When I had my son in daycare I gave between $50-$100 - but I am in a higher cost of living area (I paid $250/week - so I figured I would pay for at least one day extra as appreciation and if I had more in the budget then I would pay for two days) and I always gave gift cards..

I had a family give me nice fuzzy socks (which two years later I still have), hand lotions, one baked me a ton of cookies... I think it's nice that you want to show your appreciation, so as for the amount, just do what you are comfortable with...

Im pregnant right now so I would personally love some cookies
Unregistered 12:08 PM 11-23-2011
I personally, would simply like a card expressing the gratitude for what I do. I don't think that any provider is expecting high dollar gifts. Most just want to be appreciated and thanked for the work we do.
Heidi 12:21 PM 11-23-2011
Gift cards are great!

Cash is nice...a Christmas bonus.

If you haven't used all your cafeteria-plan money, you can give that as a gift. Win-win because otherwise Uncle Sam gets it. Oh, well, they can use the money!

I would really love it if my families pooled resources and wanted to buy something cool for the daycare itself as a group, or offered to come over and build a loft for my playroom. Most dcp's would want to be asked what they need first, and that is assuming someone has the ability.
mismatchedsocks 12:26 PM 11-23-2011
What to do: Anything! Something hand written to show how you appreciate them. An ornament, lotions ( our hands dry out from washing so much!), candles ( to get poop smell away!) cash ( bonus!), gift cards for restaurants, spas, stores ( that dont sell toys!), homemade cookies, brownies, etc.

What not to do: Nothing. Ignore provider. Be unappreciative.
Meeko 12:51 PM 11-23-2011
I've had it all over the years from very expensive gifts to being completely ignored. To be honest, the ones that have meant the most are the thoughtful ones and not the expensive ones.

I don't know one single provider who simply wouldn't love a hand-written note of appreciation if nothing else.
Kaddidle Care 01:04 PM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What to do: Anything! Something hand written to show how you appreciate them. An ornament, lotions ( our hands dry out from washing so much!), candles ( to get poop smell away!) cash ( bonus!), gift cards for restaurants, spas, stores ( that dont sell toys!), homemade cookies, brownies, etc.

What not to do: Nothing. Ignore provider. Be unappreciative.
This is so true! Sometimes it seems like the parents of the children we work the hardest with are the least appreciative. Not even a verbal Thank You or a Card when they age out. It's a real kick in the head.

Gift cards of any type are great. We usually get a lot of Dunkin Donuts cards. Funny thing is - I rarely get stuff there but the kids make out because I end up using my cards towards munchkins that I bring into class!

I did find out that I could use my cards towards the Baskin Robbins Cakes - which I did! YUM!

If it's a Center, a fresh fruit platter is a great gift. Everyone watching their waistlines will still eat fruit - and again the kids benefit because they will usually share it with them at snacktime.
grandmom 02:47 PM 11-23-2011
NOT Pepperidge Farm Gift Box, please.

If you know your provider well and can pick out a great gift, or see something and say THIS is for her, then that's great. If not, I personally would prefer cash. And a very nicely worded hand-written card about the great care I provide.
renodeb 03:22 PM 11-23-2011
I'am a provider also and I have had everything from thoughtful gift cards to cheesy, useless gifts. The nicest client gift I ever got was 4 movie tickets. I think its great that you wan to give your provider a gift. To be very honest (if I had a choice) I would love a little chirstmas bonus. Just a few extra dollars tacked on. That would certaintly be the handiest gift.
Gift cards are a great way to go. Or something like a gift card to the movie theater.
I had one mom give me a very yummy, little tim of cookies. Homemade to boot! It is nice to be appreciated.
Debbie
Christian Mother 08:24 PM 11-23-2011
The fact your asking is AWESOME!!

The best gifts are the ones that are home made..(Cards/Crafts by family/pictures/baked goods)!!

I always do something special for my little ones families for Christmas. Nothing to expensive but home made. I like to do something to show how much I love and appreciate my families. It's nice to get something back from them showing appreciation as well. Makes you feel soooo good in side!!
cheerfuldom 09:03 PM 11-23-2011
I never got anything until two years ago but that was the year that I had a huge revamp/overall in the daycare and got a much more quality daycare family (not sure how to word that....hope it didn't come off offensive). Anywho, I always prefer cash BUT gift cards are always nice. I have had a few other nice gifts like cards, plants, pictures of the kids, items for the daycare. Cash is nice though because then I feel like it is for me. The kids really don't need anymore toys and I don't need any knick-knack type things that clutter up our already full house. I have heard the customary gift is one week's paid salary for this type of service and yes, I have received a full additional week's pay before.
MyAngels 09:52 PM 11-23-2011
I've received cash (a full week's pay ), spa gift certificates, restaurant gift cards, christmas ornaments and knick knacks, bath and body lotion, liquid hand soaps, homemade cookies (yum!), candles, cards, photos of the kids, poinsettias and movie certificates - oh, and one year a got a kitschy christmas plaque that was damaged and had the clearance price tag ($2.97) still on it - from a family where dad was a doctor and mom was an attorney .

I have always appreciated everything I've been given and I'm sure your provider will appreciate whatever you do to show your appreciation, too.
emmajo 07:03 PM 11-25-2011
I'd love an extra week's pay!! And last year's gift that I most appreciated was a garden stepping stone my dkb made w/ his handprints in it and "LOVE JACK" written on it. Priceless!
AfterSchoolMom 06:53 AM 11-26-2011
I definitely think that ANY sign of appreciation for your provider is fabulous and a lot more than a lot of parents do. Good for you!!

Something as simple as a thoughtful, hand written card would probably be really appreciated. However, if you want to go the extra mile, I think a cash bonus is always great, especially during the holidays!
nannyde 07:18 AM 11-26-2011
dead presidents

daycare 06:12 PM 11-27-2011
I love pictures.. I love it when the parents give me the christmas pictures that they have taken of their kids for the family christmas cards.

makes me feel like I am part of the family. To me, this means for than what money can buy at the store.
Danielle 06:53 PM 11-27-2011
I've gotten a few gifts in the recent years and honestly the cards/notes that say how much they appreciate me have meant the most.
Tags:gift ideas, holiday - gift ideas, holidays
Reply Up