Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Monday Morning Venting Time
SunshineMama 05:49 AM 02-20-2012
How is your monday morning going so far?

I had 1 family drop off their son today and as they are handing him over to me say that he has a rash, and that the doctor said that it's probably from a virus that he had last week but he "should be fine" today.

The other family carried their 4 year old in and handed him to me at the door. Ok, yeah, I know he's small for his age, but he. is. 4. years. old.

Otherwise it looks like its going to be a great day!
saved4always 06:27 AM 02-20-2012
Great day here! No kids today because the parents are off for President's Day. So I am lounging (and cleaning ) l day long! Haven't gotten to any cleaning yet. I am very fortunate in that all my parents actually love to be with thier kids!
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 02-20-2012
I have a full house , all my DCP's are off work and the kids are being very well behaved for me . It is winter break here, so all schools are out for the week.

The kids all ate like piglets and are patiently waiting (while building a city to knock down) for the grass to dry and temps to rise just a bit to go out on the playground.
Lilbutterflie 07:59 AM 02-20-2012
I hate it too when my Monday mornings don't start off well.

I hate rashes; I wish they didn't exist. In your case; I definitely would have asked what type of virus the doctor thinks it was. You have a right to know; seeing as though the dr said the child had it last week and I am assuming you cared for this child last week. My contract says if the dr diagnoses a virus; they must bring in a note that says the diagnosis and specific type of virus. Is the rash on the cheeks? If so, I'll bet he diagnosed it as slap cheek aka 5th disease. If the rash is on the neck, back or abdomen; I'll bet it was roseola. Those are the two I know that the rash develops after the illness symptoms; and in both cases the rash phase is not contagious. The contagious portion was last week; which is definitely why I would need to know what the virus was so I could be on the lookout for the other children who were exposed. Oh yeah, I also know they get a rash after/during Hand Foot and Mouth disease, but not sure if the rash phase with this one is contagious or not.
Meeko 08:01 AM 02-20-2012
...only three kids today and they'll all be gone by 3PM. As I'm used to 16...it's gonna be an easy day!
MarinaVanessa 08:11 AM 02-20-2012
My morning has a few hiccups and I've only been open for an hour lol.

A drop-in DCM drops off DCG at 7am (DCG's daycare center in closed today) and she takes 10 minutes to leave. DCG cried of course but as soon as DCM left she turned off the waterworks and immediately started playing. I got a call from DCM (5 minutes after she left) saying that DCG can call her any time today if she gets too sad and I tell her that DCG is already fine and playing and DCM sounded upset . I guess she expected DCG to be a complete and utterly impossible mess . DCM sounded like her feelings were hurt .

My FT DGC was supposed to be here at 7am also and still hasn't shown. No call either. Grumble grumble.
MarinaVanessa 08:14 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
Great day here! No kids today because the parents are off for President's Day. So I am lounging (and cleaning ) l day long! Haven't gotten to any cleaning yet. I am very fortunate in that all my parents actually love to be with thier kids!
Lucky you, President's Day is not a holiday around here that parents get off. Only teachers and government employees get the day off today. As my luck would have it I have clients that are everything except teachers and government employees . I stay open for the extra business .
sharlan 08:49 AM 02-20-2012
I should have had today off, but instead, I offered to take all the kids to the LA Zoo. I had 4 takers. So we're off to the zoo in 15 mins.
DaycareMommmy 09:22 AM 02-20-2012
I'm closed for Presidents Day but I am home with my two children who both have colds.
SilverSabre25 09:46 AM 02-20-2012
I only have two dcks today and my DD is off to my sister's for the day to spend time with her cousins. That leaves me with DS, who is napping, dcb, who is napping, and the dcbaby who needs ANOTHER nap from the sounds of it...could it be? Will I get some time more or less...alone?? What a strange and mysterious thing! Whatever will I do with myself?!
AmyLeigh 10:32 AM 02-20-2012
I put my cell on the charger this morning and up comes a text from last night. As of Friday, one dcg was not coming today, but as of last night, she is. The thing that gets me.....we had lunch yesterday with this family at a church event, and she couldn't remember to mention it to me then???
And it's just so she and hubs can have a day to themselves....neither is working today. I am tired today, so it just rubbed me wrong.
karen 11:12 AM 02-20-2012
SON OF A BISCUIT.... Should have closed today I completely forgot about President's Day....Out of 6 parents only 2 had to work but they could have found back up....Guess how many kids I have would be nice if I said 2 but nope I have 4. Should have remembered but oh stupid brain of mine is focused on other things right now.....UGH!
Making the best of it. Get some organizing done and starting on my St. Patricks Day bulletin board.
saved4always 11:23 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Lucky you, President's Day is not a holiday around here that parents get off. Only teachers and government employees get the day off today. As my luck would have it I have clients that are everything except teachers and government employees . I stay open for the extra business .
I only watch teacher's kids.
Crazy8 12:11 PM 02-20-2012
Only 1 of 4 kept their child home today when they all have at least one parent at home. Sad that they just have no desire to spend time with their kids or have to feel like they are getting their money's worth out of me.

Then dcd, who is off today, comes in and says dcb has a runny nose but is ok. I look at poor little guy and his nose is runny, his eyes are watery, etc. Dad says "oh must be allergies" and hands him over to me. He's been sleeping for about 3 hours now and I'm just going to continue to let him sleep.
SunshineMama 12:49 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I hate it too when my Monday mornings don't start off well.

I hate rashes; I wish they didn't exist. In your case; I definitely would have asked what type of virus the doctor thinks it was. You have a right to know; seeing as though the dr said the child had it last week and I am assuming you cared for this child last week. My contract says if the dr diagnoses a virus; they must bring in a note that says the diagnosis and specific type of virus. Is the rash on the cheeks? If so, I'll bet he diagnosed it as slap cheek aka 5th disease. If the rash is on the neck, back or abdomen; I'll bet it was roseola. Those are the two I know that the rash develops after the illness symptoms; and in both cases the rash phase is not contagious. The contagious portion was last week; which is definitely why I would need to know what the virus was so I could be on the lookout for the other children who were exposed. Oh yeah, I also know they get a rash after/during Hand Foot and Mouth disease, but not sure if the rash phase with this one is contagious or not.
I definitely SHOULD have asked. He did have diharrea friday afternoon, and I would have sent him home except that there was only an hour left in the day. It sounded like the mom just called the doctor over the weekend. Anyway, he has been acting fine throughout the day, and his BM's were solid, and the rash mom was talking about looks like it was just a rash that was aggrivated by the diharrea. I ended up talking to his parents and they agreed that it would be ok to separate the play room in half and let him play by himself today to protect the other children just in case. I heard Norovirus can be present for 3 days after the last symptoms are gone.

I should have taken the day off. Rest assured, that will be in the next handbook update.
bunnyslippers 02:12 PM 02-20-2012
Best Monday in a long time for me. I follow a school yeat schedule, so I am closed this week. My husband was home, and we spent the day shopping and lounging with our two littles. Awesome, and so long overdue!!!! Wishing all of you an easy, vacation-feel week!!!!
Nellie 08:51 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I should have had today off, but instead, I offered to take all the kids to the LA Zoo. I had 4 takers. So we're off to the zoo in 15 mins.
Your Awsome
Tags:rash, virus
Reply Up