Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen
momofboys 06:16 AM 05-18-2012
How does everyone handle this? I have no problem putting it on the kids; however, it does get pricey! In the past few weeks I have asked one DCF to supply me with some sunscreen & when they did it was baby lotion (that they obviously hadn't used for years plus it was expired by 3 years!!!!). I usually buy spray for my own kids but having to put it on 4-5 additional kids you go through it VERY quick plus TBH I don't have time to apply lotion to 5-6 kids, that would likely take 30 min or more to do it properly so I use spray. So this past week I reminded DCF that we would be going on some field trips & as we would be outside for at least 3-4 hrs I really needed sunscreen too. They did not bring it. I asked DCB if they had forgotten & he said "when we went on vacation we ran out & mom said it was too expensive to buy more so we got burnt". The "funny" part is she is a nurse so she should know better. So do you give them another chance to bring some or let them know if they don't you will charge them an extra fee? I know it is pricey but I shouldn't have to shoulder the extra expense myself. What does everyone do?
DaisyMamma 06:26 AM 05-18-2012
I require continous spray suncreen. Last year I let families bring their own. This was a pain, labeling and carying around 6 bottles. This year I'm buying it by the case and everyone has to chip in, which is in my policies. No one complains. We are at the lake several hours a day. An average 5 year old kid uses about 1 bottle a week when we go everyday. There is no way I would supply $30/week in sunscreen.
Meyou 06:30 AM 05-18-2012
I require one bottle for each child by May 1st. It has to be SPF 30 or 45 and waterproof. I ask for more if I run out before the summer is over. If they don't bring it by May 1st they owe me $10 at the next time they pay.
momofboys 06:33 AM 05-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I require continous spray suncreen. Last year I let families bring their own. This was a pain, labeling and carying around 6 bottles. This year I'm buying it by the case and everyone has to chip in, which is in my policies. No one complains. We are at the lake several hours a day. An average 5 year old kid uses about 1 bottle a week when we go everyday. There is no way I would supply $30/week in sunscreen.
Yes, $30/week is a big expense!!!! I don't think mine would be that high but I would definitely go through at least one bottle of spray with my own kids each week, probably more like 1.5 (not to mention what the DCK would use). I think the problem is I am too nice & say we can use mine - well then my supply for my own kids dwindles (I usually buy a bunch at the end of the summer season when I can get the spray bottles of SPF 50 for $3 on clearance)! I will be sure to let my DCF (I only have 2 families) that they need to supply their own spray bottle & I will let them know when they need to replace it. If they don't supply one I will buy it & they will need to reimburse me.
Country Kids 06:35 AM 05-18-2012
I put out a newsletter reminding everyone to put it on before they come to childcare! I will only reapply it if we do waterplay or something that willmake it come off.

I am thinking though of buying some and just writing it off on my taxes as an expense. I will not buy individual kinds though for everyone. Its will be all the same. Trying to have 6+ to keep track of, and aply to everyone gets to be to, to time consuming.
JenNJ 06:38 AM 05-18-2012
If a family fails to supply it, their child has to sit in the shade when we go outside. The parents know this. I put the babies on a blanket on the covered porch and any child without sunscreen must join them.
WImom 06:38 AM 05-18-2012
Everyone has to donate one bottle every spring. I just use one bottle at a time. If someone needs a special kind then I would accomadate that child. That gives me 8 bottles. I also ask that everyone apply sunscreen before leaving the house so I only apply it once a day. the 8 bottles will last awhile and then I'll buy the rest as an expense that I write off.

Last year I had one bottle labeled for each child and it was a pain.
sharlan 06:41 AM 05-18-2012
I've always had every parent provide me with 2 bottles per child at the beginning of summer. I use up one bottle at a time. Every child having their own is too much of a hassle.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 05-18-2012
I do NOT buy sunscreen for DCK's.

All my parents are required to supply their own child with sunscreen. They are also required to apply the first layer themselves before drop off.

I require them to buy continuous spray and don't care what brand as long as it doesn't require me ot have to rub it in.

I label the bottles and keep them in each child's basket/cubby. I apply whenever we go outside and again when needed.

I have done it this way forever and have never had an issue and have never had a parent complain either.
itlw8 07:19 AM 05-18-2012
We have lots of shade so I make the kids play in the shady areas when the concrete is full sun.

Sensitive kids come with lotion on in the morning.

In Missouri we are not allowed to use the spray as it can get in the lungs.Plus we have to also have a permission slip like medication but we can get a waiver approved for the summer. Parents are supposed to supply their own. or approve my brand.
KDC 07:31 AM 05-18-2012
I was told by my licensor that we were required to treat sunscreen as a 'medicine', to which we needed to have it provided, labeled & it needed to come with a note as to how much & when it's applied. He said they had too many calls in for kids having sunburn or allergic reactions to certain sunscreen brands, and the liability falling on the provider. This was to make the lines more clear. All families are required to provide me with sunscreen... never made it specific to spray formula, but that's a GREAT idea!! College bathroom caddy will hold them all and I'm ready to go =)
renodeb 10:51 AM 05-18-2012
Sunscreen is very expensive. I ask for a bottle initially when they enroll. Then it becomes community property. ( I always make sure there are no weird allergies to any sunscreens at the start) My own son was allergic to the baby sun screen so I learned to ask. I go on a lot of field trips so I have gotten quite fast at applying it and all these kids are used to it. I usually buy the walmart brand for my own kids, or banana boat. I try and buy the two packs when there available. I have found that the spray gets used up to fast. Having the parents pitch in is a great idea.
Debbie
karen 11:36 AM 05-18-2012
Try putting sunscreen on 30+ toddlers and changing diapers oh boy talk about fun!!!!!! Sunscreen was applied twice a day. First thing in the morning and right after nap.
I require the parents to bring in sunscreen and will apply it twice daily. I also remind them to check the expiration date because I will not put expired sunscreen on children. They look at me funny and say SUNSCREEN EXPIRES REALLY? One of my all time favorite responses!!!!
DCMom 01:56 PM 05-18-2012
Like wipes, I have a sunscreen preference. Rather 'demand' that the parents bring that specific kind, I ask for $20/child by June 1 for the 'Sunscreen Fund'. Works out to be about 2 cans per kid. That way I always have the kind I want, when I want it and I never run out for anyone. That number has usually worked out pretty well, leaving me a couple of cans to start off this summer. Like today when it was 90 degrees!

The other thing I like about it is I don't have to keep 16 cans/bottles of sunscreen around. I hate clutter
jenn 02:13 PM 05-18-2012
I treat it like a medicine. If you want your child to have it, you provide it, label it with their name, and fill out a form saying that I can apply it as necessary. That way, the liability of not having it on & getting a sunburn, allergic reaction to the brand, not strong enough/too strong(SPF)... is on the parent and not on me. I ask them to apply the first coat at home, and I will reapply for afternoon activities.
momma2girls 03:00 PM 05-18-2012
I have all parents place sunscreen on their children, before coming to dadycare. I started this about 3 or 4 yrs. ago. It has worked so well!!!
DCMom 03:22 PM 05-18-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Like wipes, I have a sunscreen preference. Rather 'demand' that the parents bring that specific kind, I ask for $20/child by June 1 for the 'Sunscreen Fund'. Works out to be about 2 cans per kid. That way I always have the kind I want, when I want it and I never run out for anyone. That number has usually worked out pretty well, leaving me a couple of cans to start off this summer. Like today when it was 90 degrees!

The other thing I like about it is I don't have to keep 16 cans/bottles of sunscreen around. I hate clutter
I wanted to add that I do have them sign the OTC medication form authorizing me to use *insert brand name* sunscreen. I also add "in the event of allergic reaction, I will discontinue use immediately and the parent will have to supply an alternate brand of sunscreen"

It's sad how we have to cover our a$$e$ six ways to Sunday for something as simple as sunscreen isn't it?
saved4always 07:06 PM 05-18-2012
I had the parents bring sunscreen if they wanted their child to have it on when we went outside. Me supplying it was not an option to them and they all sent me a bottle when I requested it...I sent a note home in the diaper bag. The parents I had usually wanted a specific spf, brand, etc. used so they had no problem sending it.

Oh...I only watched 3 or 4 children at a time usually, so I only had that many bottles to keep track of...and when I had 4 kids, 2 were usually siblings so they shared a bottle .
familyschoolcare 05:15 PM 05-19-2012
This is what my poicy manuel says about sunscren.

Sunscreen: During full days (summer and school breaks) if you would like your child to have sunscreen you will need to supply it. I will help children (re)apply sunscreen after lunch. If you would like your child to have sunscreen on before lunch then you need to help them apply it before coming to my house. Sunscreen must be labeled with the child’s name.

now with that said last summer I only had one child and the issue never came up and it was not yet addressed in my handbook. parents just signed the new handbook a few weeks ago and nobody has said anything about sunscreen. I think that if anything about sunscreen becaomes an issue it will be what I mean by help. Because, I will not be put sunscreen on the children myself as the youngest is five they will be doing it themselves.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:03 PM 05-19-2012
I expect all children to come in fully sun-screened (i.e. put on while naked so if we peel layers or put on a suit, they're still covered), and then I reapply as needed. Each child has their own bottle of sunscreen, so they can use whatever spf or chemical/natural type their family prefers (and so I don't have to pay for it; I won't.) I know many of them don't come in with sunscreen on as requested, or I see mom put in on only the currently-exposed skin when they get here, knowing that shirt is coming off later...but luckily, my yard is almost completely shaded, so it's rarely an issue. I also expect kids to wear sun hats whenever we're outside. Makes me crazy though when we're going somewhere broiling hot and a kid tells me "my mom forgot to put on sunscreen," 'cause it's one of those things where I don't want to punish the child for the parent's problem. But I don't want to make all the kids wait while I slather 6-8 bodies every morning.
DaisyMamma 06:12 PM 05-20-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I wanted to add that I do have them sign the OTC medication form authorizing me to use *insert brand name* sunscreen. I also add "in the event of allergic reaction, I will discontinue use immediately and the parent will have to supply an alternate brand of sunscreen"

It's sad how we have to cover our a$$e$ six ways to Sunday for something as simple as sunscreen isn't it?
I do this too.
Abigail 10:45 PM 05-20-2012
I contacted our local CCRR office and they emailed me a form to use. It's very simple and to the point. It covers bug spray and diaper ointment, etc. Everything except OTC medications like tylenol because their is a separate form for those. I was able to have all my parents fill out a form at drop off the same morning. I did this kind of last minute just 2 weeks ago because I forget how nice it is outside and we just tripled the amount of time we're outside now.

All parents provide their own, but I have some siblings who share so I only have three bottles to deal with. None of them are spray-on, but I don't have that many kids. The nice thing is I'm able to put it on and it takes about 20 minutes so then once I get it on everyone and clean up whatever we're doing and put our infant to bed then we're safe to go outside. I just need to find this paper I read once that had Summer Safety Tips including information on bugspray and sunscreen which you typically don't take the time to research. I'm sure parents would find some of it interesting.
momma2girls 07:17 AM 05-21-2012
When I did apply this. I had 5 preschool/toddlers that I had to apply sunscreen on before going out to play. It literally took me about 20 min. to place it on everyone good. Then we maybe were outside 15 min. they were complaining, or it was too warm. I do not provide childcare in the Summer, so this covered me, up til Summer and early Fall. Now since I started the new policy that everyone needs to have it on, on our outside fun days, it has worked AWESOME!!!
We go outside everyday, but only for about 20 min. or less, depending on pick up times.
Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up