Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Trix are for kids

Default Rate Increase Letter

I'm sending out my first ever rate increase letter tonight and I'm so nervous....agh!! I don't know why, it's very small and graduated ($5 increase every 6 months until everyone pays the same amount, which will be an increase of $10 per week for some families and $25 for other families). It will be effective January 1st. I really really needed it because it will make my little business go from being in the red to the black (or at least break even ). I think for the most part, everyone will be on board (I hope !).
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Raising fees to cover the rising costs of doing business is necessary so don't feel badly. I know it can be a little nerve wracking but you can do it!

If anyone says anything just let them know that it was either raise your rates or close your doors and you figured they (the parents) would appreciate the rate increase versus the alternative.

Saying it with a smile helps too.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Not really crazy

Unhappy

I sent a couple of mine out yesterday and the rest will be sent home today or tomorrow. I have been in business 21 years and I still get nervous. I do like to send them out on the last day of the week so they have a couple of days to absorb the news before I see them again.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Some examples in our earlier threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...e+notification
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Trix are for kids

So I handed out the letters and everyone seemed very curious. I'm super un-confrontational so when asked what it was about, I told them it was in regards to the contract renewal. Plus, I didn't want to discuss rate increases while still handling child care. We shall see what the next few days brings. I'm eager to see who says something first and what will be said . Wish me luck that nobody will up and leave!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Trix are for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
I sent a couple of mine out yesterday and the rest will be sent home today or tomorrow. I have been in business 21 years and I still get nervous. I do like to send them out on the last day of the week so they have a couple of days to absorb the news before I see them again.
Did any of your parents say anything? This is totally new to me so I hope it blows over well. I hope that they at least acknowledge the letter. I read prior threads about rate increases and now I'm worried that the amounts will be too much for some families to stomach. The contract renewals will be handed out by the end of this month for the year 2013 and it will include the rate increase, so there won't be any question at that point who will be ok with it or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Not really crazy

So far only one has said anything and she said "Your worth it!" I have never lost anyone over a rate increase so I don't know why I get nervous
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Trix are for kids

So I got 2 responses so far and they are both extremely appreciative. In fact, one family wants to start paying the full increase effective immediately! I have 2 more families to hear from, both of which have the higher increase of $25 .
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
So I got 2 responses so far and they are both extremely appreciative. In fact, one family wants to start paying the full increase effective immediately! I have 2 more families to hear from, both of which have the higher increase of $25 .
Woah!! How awesome is that!! Clients like these make me feel like baking them a pie and writing a thank you card. That's great!!

Tags
rate change notification, rate increase