Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pet Question
melilley 03:35 PM 12-07-2012
In MI we have to notify parents of any animals that are in the home while you provide care. We have a yellow lab named Tucker How would you write it in your handbook? I was just going to write that we have a dog and he's up to date on his immunizations. Also, for those of you that do have dogs, how do people react when you tell them? Ours is a gentle giant
Lyss 04:27 PM 12-07-2012
I put it in my contract similar to what you said, "Daycare home includes a dog. Dog is current with required vaccinations and has obedience training" . I put info about my dog on website so parents are aware from the beginning and I also explain in interviews (although she's often gone with DH to work on days I have interviews as she gets sooo excited) that we have a dog and she's part of the family/package! I've never had any family have an issue with it.
melilley 04:46 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I put it in my contract similar to what you said, "Daycare home includes a dog. Dog is current with required vaccinations and has obedience training" . I put info about my dog on website so parents are aware from the beginning and I also explain in interviews (although she's often gone with DH to work on days I have interviews as she gets sooo excited) that we have a dog and she's part of the family/package! I've never had any family have an issue with it.
Good to know, thanks! I may have to do the same when I interview...my dog gets so excited and his tail really gets going! I'm afraid his tail will whack someone...lol He is a great, gentle dog, just an 87lb baby!
youretooloud 04:54 PM 12-07-2012
Maybe include it in your "about me" section when you introduce your family, include your furbaby too.

We have a lab who is basically a pillow for the kids. (she was never told she's a dog)
melilley 04:56 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Maybe include it in your "about me" section when you introduce your family, include your furbaby too.

We have a lab who is basically a pillow for the kids. (she was never told she's a dog)
Love it-furbaby!
DaisyMamma 09:11 AM 12-09-2012
We have four furkids. 3 are tiny, smaller than cats and kept away from the 5 and under crowd. I never thought of putting it in my handbook or on my website. It's a good idea.
No one has told me that they don't like dogs. Or that the dogs are the reason they went elsewhere, but I wouldn't mind. Either you are a dog person or you're not.
The dogs are here at interview.
providerandmomof4 09:27 AM 12-09-2012
I have two dogs. One is a puppy/mut, medium sized. The other is a 95 lb Shepherd. The puppy is not well behaved and I keep him separated from the kiddo's during dc hours. My Sherherd basically separates himself. He'll let the kids pet and pull on him for a while then he goes to a quiet corner to sleep, or wants outside.

I tell dcp upfront about the dogs and I have lost two potential dcp, that I know of during the phone interview that didn't want their children around large dogs. Oh well..... I figure good riddance. If they're that worried, then I don't need the headache.

Sometimes my dogs aren't put up yet for my early baby...6am, and my dogs want to rush the door upon arrival. My baby just loveeeees the dogs and dcm seems to as well. They have large dogs as well so it's not a problem for them.
Nickel 12:01 PM 12-09-2012
I have several large dogs ranging from 45-80lbs as well as 2 cats. I never allow my animaps to be around the dck. They are all friendly but i would never want someone to get hurt accidentally or knocked over and then i have to put my beloved dog down. So for the animals safety as well as the children my dogs are crated when the dcks are here. And i make that clear. I let. My patents know i have dogs but they are never allowed newr the children. But if they were around the children that they are friendly qnd nonaggressive. I tell them i have labs, husly qnd mutts. In my handbook i state that i do state that i do hage pets, they are up to date on shots, are friendly and are vetted at x vet. Ive lost some families over my animals but the majority of my families are animal lovers. Ive had zero problems with family and dogs as they arent together. I personally do not wqnt to be in a eituation where i have to get rid of my animal. Sorry for typos, im on my phone. Hth
Meeko 12:57 PM 12-09-2012
I let every prospective parent know we have a dog who is a member of the family and the daycare. Everyone adores the little guy.

Our Westie, Gus...loves the daycare kids and they love him. He's the first to say hi in the morning and gets the last hug goodnight when the kids leave.

He sits by me in circle time and chooses a DCK lap for story time.

He plays ball outside with kids and likes to play in the snow.

Last year, I was doing daycare in our second home. We then had two dogs...Gus and his "big brother"....a massive 209 pound jet black Newfoundland who was just a big baby. They came down to the daycare on a regular basis to visit and our Newfie was also the un-official mascot of the local Junior High, where he was often wandering the halls getting his loves from kids and faculty alike!!! He sadly passed on and we all miss him dreadfully. The whole neighborhood/school district/church congregation mourned his passing.

I believe animals are wonderful teaching "tools" around children.

I mention my dog(s) (we are getting a second Westie soon) to everyone who calls me. I understand some people don't like dogs/have allergies etc. I have even received calls from people asking "are you the daycare with the huge dog that looks like a bear?!!!" because they had heard good things.

Bottom line...Anyone who doesn't like my dog, doesn't like me!!

OP...just a line or two about having a dog should be sufficient. Mention whether or not the dog is allowed around the DCK's. And make sure it is up to date on shots etc.
Attached: ashlee.jpg (56.9 KB) 
Michael 03:22 PM 12-09-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Our Westie, Gus...loves the daycare kids and they love him. He's the first to say hi in the morning and gets the last hug goodnight when the kids leave.

He sits by me in circle time and chooses a DCK lap for story time.

He plays ball outside with kids and likes to play in the snow.
That's a beautiful dog.
Meeko 05:53 PM 12-09-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
That's a beautiful dog.
Thank you Michael, he was one of a kind.
Lianne 05:08 AM 12-10-2012
I have a dog, four adult cats and I foster kittens for the SPCA. I included a sentence or two about each animals' personality, that everyone was up to date on vaccinations and spayed/neutered and see the vet yearly for check ups. I also stated that the animals have access to the whole house, the cats are not declawed. Most importantly, the children are NEVER allowed to pick up the animals in my home and are taught not to harass them and to recognize and respect the animals' cues to be left alone.
daycarediva 05:39 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have a dog, four adult cats and I foster kittens for the SPCA. I included a sentence or two about each animals' personality, that everyone was up to date on vaccinations and spayed/neutered and see the vet yearly for check ups. I also stated that the animals have access to the whole house, the cats are not declawed. Most importantly, the children are NEVER allowed to pick up the animals in my home and are taught not to harass them and to recognize and respect the animals' cues to be left alone.
I have cats and foster adult cats for the humane society. I have one in particular who LOVES LOVES LOVES the kids. He follows us on walks, sits on laps, greets them in the morning with meows at the door and waits for treats under the table at meals. All of my dcp's ADORE this cat, and the kids as well. I do have two cats that don't like small children (older 12 & 10) and they have the run of the house and just stay upstairs.

I have a section in my parent handbook about the cats, they are behavior and temperment tested, never left alone with the children, are fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered but aren't declawed. I then included that children are expected to respect the animals and treat them kindly. We did a thing in September about cat body language, and the kids will now tell the parents "Oh Wady is putting her tail down in her wegs, her scared! Poor Wady!"
melilley 07:14 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have cats and foster adult cats for the humane society. I have one in particular who LOVES LOVES LOVES the kids. He follows us on walks, sits on laps, greets them in the morning with meows at the door and waits for treats under the table at meals. All of my dcp's ADORE this cat, and the kids as well. I do have two cats that don't like small children (older 12 & 10) and they have the run of the house and just stay upstairs.

I have a section in my parent handbook about the cats, they are behavior and temperment tested, never left alone with the children, are fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered but aren't declawed. I then included that children are expected to respect the animals and treat them kindly. We did a thing in September about cat body language, and the kids will now tell the parents "Oh Wady is putting her tail down in her wegs, her scared! Poor Wady!"
That's a good idea...doing a lesson on animal body language!
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Thank you Michael, he was one of a kind.
Meeko.....as a BIG dog lover, I totally understand how people get the wrong idea just because the dog is big. In my case, Stephen King's movie Cujo does not help support my case.

My 225lb gentle giant is NOTHING like Cujo. He is afraid of my neighbor's pomeranian.

Luckily for me though our furbaby only visits the daycare if he is in town. Otherwise, he stays home and "protects" () our home.
melilley 07:36 AM 12-10-2012
I love these big beautiful dogs! And I thought my dog was big...lol
crazydaycarelady 08:45 AM 12-10-2012
This is what I havein my parents handbook.

Originally Posted by :
Pets
I believe pets are an important part of childhood therefore we have several resident pets including dogs, ducks and chickens. The animals are kept current on their vaccinations.

providerandmomof4 12:36 PM 12-10-2012
You all got me thinking that I should add a section in my policy/handbook about the pets. Have to share my big boys' pic..
Attached: R1-02500-002A.jpg (170.2 KB) 
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up