Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When To Give Notice???
busymommy0420 05:47 PM 01-02-2013
I have a DCM that just told me she is pregnant. I am a Mommy of six, with a 3 month old of my own. Next September all my daycare children including my two toddler daughters will be attending pre-school 3-5 days a week. I have no interest in taking on her infant. When should I give her notice? Her daughter attends pre-school currently two days a week with the other children here. I drive them as a group. I figure I should let her finish the school year with the girls. DCM is due in July, pre-school ends in May. Is that not enough notice?
MamaG 06:35 PM 01-02-2013
That's plenty of notice.
Willow 07:18 PM 01-02-2013
Would depend on the area for me.

Around here parents begin searching for care before they're even pregnant sometimes. Pickin's are that slim.

If it were my family I'd be telling them immediately. A month or two's notice wouldn't be nearly enough time to secure an infant spot elsewhere.
cheerfuldom 08:04 PM 01-02-2013
Did she ask you to take her infant or just tell you she was pregnant?
busymommy0420 05:00 PM 01-03-2013
Yes she did ask me to take the infant. I said I wasn't sure if I could because of seating in my van. I can only fit 5 and I provide pre-school transportation, transportation to tap/ballet & we go on weekly field trips. The "bug" is in her ear so perhaps she will already be looking? I am very honest about who is enrolled, it is the first paragraph in my monthly newsletter. If she does simple math she will know I can't fit a baby in the van lol. She is due July so I hope she will allow her daughter to finish this year's pre-school program out. I will likely give her official notice in the Spring, once she is in her second or third trimester. Thanks!!!
momofboys 05:21 PM 01-03-2013
Do you rely on her income now? She may leave very soon if you give her months of notice. I personally would give 1 month, at most. Jmho
busymommy0420 05:25 PM 01-03-2013
I don't rely on any of my daycare income per say. I use my daycare income for extra's like ballet, gymnastics, vacations, restaurants... things like that. I wouldn't mind as long as I received the proper two weeks notice.
busymommy0420 06:31 PM 01-15-2013
So, DCM and I were texting about the summer (when she is due) and I stated that I would keep DCG now until she goes out for maternity. I said after that she would need to start DCG and baby elsewhere because I have no room for the baby and really want ages 2 and up. She said she understood. So yeah....but wait there's more! She came that night to pick up DCG and said she loves my program and wants DCG to stay with me for another year and a half so she could attend pre-school. She is placing the baby in a different daycare. I am SHOCKED and flattered. I know it is rare for providers to drive children to pre-school so I guess that gives me my edge. I am happy not to have to look for another client.
Tags:giving notice, notice
Reply Up