Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Concerned about speech
LoraJenkins 03:08 PM 04-06-2013
I have an 18 month old DCB that I have had in my care since 5 months old. He came to me physically delayed and has now progressed so well in that aspect. But I am starting to worry about his speach. The ONLY worlds he can say clearly are Mommy and Daddy. That is it! He just jibbers other than that. Some things I only know what he means because I am with him 11 hours a day. I do not use "baby talk" withe him so I am concerned. He seems to understands what I say to him. At what point should I suggest to his parents that there may be a speach delay?
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 04-07-2013
Talking with parents about development of their child can be a slipper slope to navigate.

I think a lot of it depends on the willingness of the parent to want to hear feedback from you, whether the parents trust your "observations" and whether or not the parents are on top of their child's development already by seeing their pediatrician regularly for well child checks etc.

I would start by outright asking them if they have any concerns and whether or not their child's doctor has said anything.

I know when my kids were young, their doctor was very on top of checking for developmental milestones.

I also think it is important for providers to know what is and isn't outside the range of normal and to know when it is appropriate to be concerned.

I have a 20 month old that has a fantastic vocabulary and can speak in conversation. I also have a 2 yr old who says VERY little. Maybe 5 audible words. His physician is not at all concerned and says he is not "behind" as of yet.

My DD spoke clearly and in conversation by age 12 months. My son said VERY few words until he was almost 2.5. It wasn't that he couldn't...just that he didn't really have to....kwim? He was also a pretty stubborn little guy so he pretty much did things when he wanted to.

In your situation, I think a lot depends on your relationship with the parents and the things I mentioned above.
spud912 08:40 AM 04-07-2013
I agree with Blackcat.

I also wanted to say that I really don't concern myself too much on speech before age 2 1/2. However, I do many things to try to increase their speech (reading books, having them mimic my words, having them look at my mouth to show proper pronunciation, prompting them to say things, etc.). I've watched several children who barely said anything clearly until closer to age 2 1/2 and later in life would not stop talking (and clearly too ).
Reply Up