Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mixed Age Group Play Structure
daycare 02:34 PM 06-18-2014
my insurance co will not let me have a play structure that is double the height of my smallest child. This does not leave me a lot of options.

My ages consist of a very small 19 month old all the way up to some very huge 5 year olds.

what type of equipment do you have for your DCKS? Also, I don't want to have to get any kind of safety flooring, I have already spent way over my budget, so it has to be something that would not need safety ground.

Thanks
itlw8 02:41 PM 06-18-2014
anything over 24 inches in my state needs ground cover You might want to find out if the height is the top of the railings or the platform you stand on. but double the height of a 19 month old pretty well rules out all climbing equipment except those made for toddlers. and what if you sign on a younger shorter child? Maybe the solution is a new insurance company.
daycare 02:47 PM 06-18-2014
I don't take younger children. She is just a little tiny peanut. LIke the size of a 12 month old.

I have the best insurance I could find
Little Buttons 04:55 PM 06-18-2014
What about the Little Tikes or Step2 playhouses and climbers? Those can be fun for various ages, typically do not require a ground cover and can be found for a reasonable price. Sand boxes, water tables, sprinkler, dirt pit, balls, bubbles are all also cheap outdoor fun for all ages :-)
missy 05:59 PM 06-18-2014
I had the same issue, mostly because of pavement and limited fall space. The step 2 kangaroo climber worked for us. It is 42" fall height. Our only other options were little toddler slides and soft tunnels (soft because they can't crawl atop them which means zero fall heiight. )
Heidi 06:47 PM 06-18-2014
I know with our QRIS, a lot of provider got rid of taller play structures for the same reason..fall height.

Some people are doing more "natural" things like tires buried in the ground, slides in a hill, etc.

Stuff like this:

http://www.juxtapost.com/site/permli...laygrounds_ca/
TwinKristi 08:58 PM 06-18-2014
Yeah unfortunately if we don't have 6" of appropriate ground material or approved flooring ($$$$) we can't have something over 18" off the ground. It's like the fall height (so height of the tallest child) from the tallest part of the climber? I looked into it a few mos back. Costco has the approved flooring you can buy online. Pretty pricey! Thought of applying for a First 5 grant but never did.
SignMeUp 09:12 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Yeah unfortunately if we don't have 6" of appropriate ground material or approved flooring ($$$$) we can't have something over 18" off the ground. It's like the fall height (so height of the tallest child) from the tallest part of the climber? I looked into it a few mos back. Costco has the approved flooring you can buy online. Pretty pricey! Thought of applying for a First 5 grant but never did.
Curious what the approved flooring is ... ?
Reply Up