Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broken Leg
Unregistered 09:16 AM 09-07-2018
Have any of you ever dealt with a toddler (almost 2) with a broken leg? When do you allow return and how would you handle having them in group care?

If you haven’t had this happen, what protocol would you follow if it did?
KiwiKids 09:19 AM 09-07-2018
My own 2yr old broke her leg. She was pretty miserable the first week. Once she had a hard cast on and was past the first 7 days she walked fine and played like usual. Keep a sock over the cast because hard casts can damage your furniture and scrape the finish off of things.

It really depends on the child. My daughter is very resilient so it didn’t slow her down much at all.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 09-07-2018
I had a kid that broke his femur bone.
Had a cast from the tip of the toes on one leg and to the knee on the other. A brace in between to hold legs apart. Space in the cast to "stuff" a diaper into.

We used a stroller like a wheel chair.

NOT something I think I'd do again. Too much chaos and restructuring of my normal day for ONE kid.

If it were an older kid that could move around freely, I don't think I'd have issues but if the child is young and it severely impacted the days activities or the child's abilities to participate, I would have to give it some serious thought before agreeing to continuing care.
Cat Herder 11:24 AM 09-07-2018
I just kept him in a curad cast protector and boot cover. It was not too difficult because it was not the middle of summer. Outdoor time was the hardest part of it.
Jiminycrickets 12:15 PM 09-07-2018
My ODS broke his leg at that age, when I worked as the assistant at a Family II daycare. I'm his mom so I was not worried about liability or anything, but on the practical side, it was not a huge hassle.
He needed to be carried up and down stairs for a while and we had to put him back in diapers because he was just potty-trained and he couldn't get himself to the potty quickly. Otherwise he could do all the activities he needed to do and got around just fine by crawling and scooting. We just put a bread bag over his cast when we went outside so it didn't get wet.
We were back at work in less than a week, as soon as he had a hard cast, and he did fine. He was "only" in a toe to thigh cast, though, and his break was not very severe, so he wasn't especially miserable.
The whole thing actually slowed his hyper self down a little, so it was almost easier in some ways.
Tags:2 year old, broken bone, injury
Reply Up