Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Feed Their Kids Veggies Anymore?
Sunshine69 10:39 AM 11-10-2020
I’ve had a dcb about a month now. When parents came for interview, I gave them the usual paperwork which includes questions about the child’s diet. Mom insisted there was noting the child didn’t eat yet on her way out the door said “Oh, BTW he doesn’t drink white milk, he only drinks chocolate” to which I answered “I only serve white milk”. Initially he would not drink white milk but he must have gotten thirsty because he’s been drinking it two weeks now.

He has plenty of other issues but one that had blown me away is his reaction to vegetables. I’m used to the ones who refuse to eat and play with them. This child squishes them into the plate and scatters smashed veggies all over the table and floor. Naturally, he doesn’t get the seconds he asks for.

Last week he wanted seconds and I told him to finish his peas. I literally gave him three, less for me to pick up. He tried a bit of what he smushed and started to gag. Today he had asked for seconds and I told him to finish his carrots. Again, I only gave him three. He began to gag like he did with the pea and then vomited on his plate. The poor other kids were completely grossed out and lost their appetites. Can’t say I blame them.

I have half a mind to call the parents and come get him because of his vomiting episode but everything in me says it’s his reaction to eating a carrot. Would you all call his parents for pickup?

It really bugs me that parents are so resistant to giving their kids vegetables these days and think they’re absolutely gonna starve if the parents don’t give them something besides vegetables. To me, a hungry kid will eat vegetables before he starves.

The last thing I want to do is have this kid setting an example for the others that they don’t have to eat their vegetables if they can make a big enough scene. I don’t believe for a second the parents didn’t know their kid reacts to eating vegetables this way. IDK what irritates me more , that parents expect us to find a way to accommodate their spoiled children or that a parent will teach their kid they can be healthy without ever having to eat a vegetable.
coloradoprovider 11:37 AM 11-10-2020
I would have him picked up each time he vomits. Ask them to fill out a checklist of vegetables he eats. If the carrots and peas are checked (as in parents claim he eats them), then carry on. Continue to offer vegetables, but don't insist he eats them, instead offer the other children seconds of the fruit or whatever is desired most. If he wants more of let's say peaches, then inform him in as neutral a manner of possible that seconds of fruit are given AFTER vegetables are finished. If necessary, seat him at a small table a few feet away from others if he can't stop gagging. Repeat as often as necessary. If parents don't feed him vegetables, then a frank discussion is warranted about why they need to start.
Ariana 01:02 PM 11-10-2020
Could it be a sensory issue? Does he have any other sensitivities? I ask because for my daughter it is sensory. She tastes thing much stronger than other people. My other daughter loves veggies, same house, same parent. There are veggies my daughter will eat like raw baby spinach, carrots, tomatoes, salsa but other things she will gag and it is very uncomfortable for her. A lot of kids don't eat veggies because of lack of exposure but some kids have sensory issues. Keep an eye out for other issues as well to see if it might be that.

I had a child who I suspected had sensory issues, she hated the cold, hated sand and water and anything squishy. She also hated fruit. Mom told me she ate all kinds of fruits at home so I asked her for a video. When I got the video she was standing up at a coffee table eating cantaloupe while watching tv. She ate ALL of her meals while watching tv. That distracted her enough to eat something she didn't really enjoy. She never did eat fruit at my house!
Joyfulnoise 04:40 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Could it be a sensory issue? Does he have any other sensitivities? I ask because for my daughter it is sensory. She tastes thing much stronger than other people. My other daughter loves veggies, same house, same parent. There are veggies my daughter will eat like raw baby spinach, carrots, tomatoes, salsa but other things she will gag and it is very uncomfortable for her. A lot of kids don't eat veggies because of lack of exposure but some kids have sensory issues. Keep an eye out for other issues as well to see if it might be that.

I had a child who I suspected had sensory issues, she hated the cold, hated sand and water and anything squishy. She also hated fruit. Mom told me she ate all kinds of fruits at home so I asked her for a video. When I got the video she was standing up at a coffee table eating cantaloupe while watching tv. She ate ALL of her meals while watching tv. That distracted her enough to eat something she didn't really enjoy. She never did eat fruit at my house!
I agree with this! I have 4 children, 2 of whom have diagnosed sensory issues. Neither like vegetables. One will only eat bananas, apples, broccoli & carrots. The other will eat 5 specific fruits but no veggies except nibbling on a spinach leaf now & again. My other 2 children eat almost anything & actually prefer fruits & veggies. My 4 year old makes her own salad regularly with 5-6 vegetables. The children & I all eat together at the table. They are all exposed to the same foods in the same house. But gagging & vomiting are frequent reactions to certain textures. They also have a variety of other sensitivities as well. So I would imagine if that's what it is you will see other signs. It doesn't seem to affect my other children eating. I just try not to draw attention to it. I seve it & they can eat it or leave it. If a food that challenges them I don't make them eat it & I don't withhold seconds if they are honestly eating their safe foods. However, no way would I allow them to squish food into a mess or play with it.
Tags:seconds, vegetables
Reply Up